Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
D8T - What Are The Best/Required Upgrades For Racing? >

D8T - What Are The Best/Required Upgrades For Racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

D8T - What Are The Best/Required Upgrades For Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
running 1.1 springs make it alot snappier, thats all i run on my truggies (D8T) and i even like it on buggy at some tracks, it makes jumps really easy.
I can't understand how you guys can get away with running 1.1 springs in a truggy.... Every time I have tried springs that heavy I have smoked my clutch out really fast...believe it or not but I often run .9's in Truggy..at the most 1.0's.....
Old 06-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Like I said, probably just my luck :P I have read the the Moo shafts will work. Probably gonna pick em up with my next order. BTW, anyone know the specific size pin or have a part # /link to pins that will work with the outdrives. I could measure, but my stuff is in the garage :P. A link would be awesome. Thx
Old 06-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Maxi- In the past few weeks I have experimented a bit with my clutch on my T. My full set up...
Alpha Plus S852 (Orange)
Alpha Plus 0801 pipeset
M2C 4 Shoe clutch with Reg Soft shoes.
I have tried running two .9 with two .95. No good. The engine simply would not tune properly. On a recent weekday off, I went to practice. The only thing I changed was the clutch springs. I went to two 1.0 and two 1.1. This engine truly came to life. It makes such a big difference, and I didn't have to adjust my tune very much at all. Now, that being said. You're right, this set up is HHHHAAAARD on Reg Softs. It eats em like a fatboi in a doughnut shop! I will likely try a harder shoe sometime soon, even though that will likely induce a bit more slip.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
I can't understand how you guys can get away with running 1.1 springs in a truggy.... Every time I have tried springs that heavy I have smoked my clutch out really fast...believe it or not but I often run .9's in Truggy..at the most 1.0's.....
i have never had trouble with my clutches wearing quick. i have a gallon on mine now and they arent showing much wear. maybe im just lucky and getting good batch of shoes
Old 06-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
i have never had trouble with my clutches wearing quick. i have a gallon on mine now and they arent showing much wear. maybe im just lucky and getting good batch of shoes

Most likely I am just using engines with alot more bottom end( modded of course)... honestly 1.1 springs on any of my .21's would just result in massive clutch slip.... I can't remember the last time I really ran a stock engine to be honest... I would have to mount up a stock .21 and re-test 1.1's....
Old 06-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Most likely I am just using engines with alot more bottom end( modded of course)... honestly 1.1 springs on any of my .21's would just result in massive clutch slip.... I can't remember the last time I really ran a stock engine to be honest... I would have to mount up a stock .21 and re-test 1.1's....
i ran 1.1 on my modded nova BF and my friend ran 1.1 on his modded P5 and modded OS Vspec and never had problems with shoes failing either. maybe your mods are more geared for bottom end grunt. IDK just never had any problems with mine failing. most people in my area run 1.1s in truggy and 1.0 or .9 in buggy. when i run 1.1 it seems to make the clutch shoes last longer for some reason, i dont have to file them down as much it seems.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by fatdaddy
Mugen MBX6 front center works great. i dont even run the dust boot on it and its still tight after 3 gallons.

works on d8 and d8t
do you have a link
ore a part # ????????????
Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ran a mod .21 and a Friend runs a Mod .28 and we both use 1.1 springs it's a D8T thing do you even run a D8T and how would it cause massive clutch slip all a 1.1 does is let the motor rev higher before it engages. If your getting massive clutch slip your clutch shoes are just worn out.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

don't what the size of them is but i allways use the lightest spring i get get with the VP Pro clutch set. works well but i am definatly going to try the heaveyer ones
Old 06-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie
I ran a mod .21 and a Friend runs a Mod .28 and we both use 1.1 springs it's a D8T thing do you even run a D8T and how would it cause massive clutch slip all a 1.1 does is let the motor rev higher before it engages. If your getting massive clutch slip your clutch shoes are just worn out.

LOL ! no sir...you cannot run 1.1 on any of my mod engines in a Truggy, you will smoke the shoes ! way too much slip for the powerband of my mills ... usually someone would run 1.1 if their engine has a weak bottom end.....We run .9's on many occasions with my engines ! Obviously my engines must make alot more bottom then the ones you run or there would be no way you would be able to run 1.1 .....
Old 06-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i'm running 1.1 springs on your modded engine in my truggy... and it works great.. i too have a D8T.. i am using that Jl CLutch right now... 3 shoe clutch also.. no signs of wear at the 1 gallon mark
Old 06-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kgombe
i'm running 1.1 springs on your modded engine in my truggy... and it works great.. i too have a D8T.. i am using that Jl CLutch right now... 3 shoe clutch also.. no signs of wear at the 1 gallon mark
Geez ! I can't understand why anyone would want to introduce soo much clutch slip...the JL has awesome bottom end, among the best of the .21's....I run the JL in my 6T 14th bell and 1.0 springs...I had to gear up 1 tooth to keep it somewhat tame off the line...However I do run the JP-1... On my 28's I run .9's and usually gear up 2 teeth to a 15th bell....
Old 06-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

don't know what you mean there Maximo... it runs great with no wear.. so i guess that means not much slipping is taking place... maybe its the clutch or shoes you are using.. i don't know

also keep in mind the inner diameter of your clutch bell has alot to do with it.. when i mount my clutch up there is very lil room between the bell and the shoes...
Old 06-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kgombe
don't know what you mean there Maximo... it runs great with no wear.. so i guess that means not much slipping is taking place...
1.1 springs engage the clutch later then 1.0 springs...IMO I would only use 1.1 if i had an engine with a soft bottom end....I know on a JP-3 or JP-1 the mod JL .21 has too much low end to properly use 1.1 springs , all it would do is slip and heat up..... Heck I just ran my JL with .95's on a 14th bell and it still yanked hard off the line........... I guess pipe selection and tuning will also come into play here..I have never tested the 9901( thats what you run ?) so it may soften the bottom enough to allow you to use 1.1.........
Old 06-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

1.1 springs engage the clutch later then 1.0 springs...IMO I would only use 1.1 if i had an engine with a soft bottom end....I know on a JP-3 or JP-1 the mod JL .21 has too much low end to properly use 1.1 springs , all it would do is slip and heat up..... Heck I just ran my JL with .95's on a 14th bell and it still yanked hard off the line........... I guess pipe selection and tuning will also come into play here..I have never tested the 9901( thats what you run ?) so it may soften the bottom enough to allow you to use 1.1.........
i updated my post to give some reasons ... but i tested all the pipes on the same clutch.. and i have been running 1.1 springs all the time.. as a matter of fact thats all i run.. but i run a 3 shoe clutch ( not sure if taht makes a difference).. no matter what engine.. all i run is 1.1 in my truggy with good clucth wear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.