R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default What would be a good kit for my first nitro?

Hi, I have been into electric rc's for a couple of years and am ready for a change. I would like to get into nitro. I don't need anything expensive or fancy, but what would be a good kit to learn on? Please suggest some good cars/trucks and what is the best company that I should look at?
Thanks in advance.
Matt_109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
Tech Addict

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...pl?pn=HOT67800

I just purchased one, it comes with a free starter box. Kits are fun and Hot Bodies is cheaper than everybody else and just as durable (quoting a few other people)
mike881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

need to know if you plan on racing or bashing, I will assume racing. I would advise truggy. If you need radio and everything, the 8ight T 2.0 rtr is an awsome package. If you have a good radio, any of the big kits would do. D8T is what I run, but it all depwnds on budget and parts availability in your area. Club racing is more setup and driving ability than what truck kit you choose.
morkendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
Tech Adept

I will be racing a little. I'd like to get a 1/8 buggy or truggy. I honestly don't have a good radio so I need all the help I can get. I been looking at the Kyosho MP 7.5
OFNA Ultra GT RTR
But that hotbodies truggy looks sick. I just want a good car to get started on, nothing to expensive just something to learn on. Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_109 View Post
I will be racing a little. I'd like to get a 1/8 buggy or truggy. I honestly don't have a good radio so I need all the help I can get. I been looking at the Kyosho MP 7.5
OFNA Ultra GT RTR
But that hotbodies truggy looks sick. I just want a good car to get started on, nothing to expensive just something to learn on. Thanks for all the help so far.
The hot bodies is the cheapest kit, by far. The Losi RTR is best for somebody who needs a radio and everything, and its still one of the top ones. My dad just purchased one yesterday and I'm very impressed...

Losi 8T 2.0 RTR vs Hot Bodies D8T
mike881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
OFNA Ultra GT RTR
if you are planning on some racing I would go with one of the losi 8's just becausw you need radio and everything. You could go with a kit like the hot bodies, but once you start putting money into servos, motor, radio, starter box, tires with some kits, the price will really start to get pretty high. The ones you listed may be ok to learn on, but they are outdated. If you get bit by the racing bug, you will have your self at a bigger disadvantage then you need to be. Going with a more up to date rtr will give you at starting point to lern on that can be upgraded over time and still be competitive. Check out the 8's or associated, or troll ebay. Some times you can find a nice kit that someone built that has everything you need.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Honestly I don't know if there is a class for truggies where I'll be racing, I know there is a 1/8 buggy class, but I don't know if I'll be able to run a truggy. I want something to toy around with for now not really a full out race kit. I'd like to keep the price below $400 but I see the stuff gets expensive quick, thanks for the help thus far.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Right now I'm looking at these really closely:
Kyosho Inferno US Sports 4 Type 2 Ready Set Buggy (MP 7.5) $299.99
Special: $274.99
Kyosho Inferno US Sports 4 Type 1 Ready Set Buggy (MP 7.5) $299.99
Special: $279.99
Kyosho Inferno NEO Ready Set 1/8 Off Road Buggy $299.99
Kyosho DBX 1/10th 4WD Nitro Off Road Ready Set Buggy w/GXR18 & KT-6 Radio
I know they aren't high end race buggies like you guys have suggested but they seem like a good place to start. Are there any truggies similar to this price/quality range. I'd love to get an Losi-8 but my wallet won't allow it.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This is coming from a newbie myself. I went with a Hot Bodies D8...I am just about done with building it..What a great learning experience...With a RTR you don't get to fully understand/learn the mechanics of the buggie (unless you tear it down and rebuild it). As stated above by the time you get the kit, motor, good servos, starter box it will cost more than the Losi RTR but you can have the best components you can afford....If i was going RTR i would get the Losi, for a kit the HB is hard to beat for the price...The kit quality, layout, and instructions are fanrastic...
sjracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
Tech Adept

What would be some good electronics and a motor to get? I want to get a cheaper motor so I can work on tuneing. I've been told to get the best chassis you can afford and throw in a cheap motor to learn on so I guess I'll stick to that motto. Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
Tech Adept

I know this is the nitro forum, but are there any good electric options as far as 1/8ths go that anyone knows of or are most of you solely nitro? Thanks
Old 05-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jbright33

matt just a little advise stay away from those ones that u listed your only looking to get what you pay for. allthose buggies come with junk radios,junk motors and the cars are just plain junk. i wouldnt even recomend them to a basher as parts are hard to come buy and they break easy so you will end up spending 3 times more to get them to work half decent and they still wount outperform a d8,8 2.0,mp9,mbx6. stick with hot bodies or losi in my opinion. i run hot bodies d8&d8t and they work awsome.. and for the price really cant beat it..
Old 05-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Right now I'm looking at these really closely:
Kyosho Inferno US Sports 4 Type 2 Ready Set Buggy (MP 7.5) $299.99
Special: $274.99
Kyosho Inferno US Sports 4 Type 1 Ready Set Buggy (MP 7.5) $299.99
Special: $279.99
Kyosho Inferno NEO Ready Set 1/8 Off Road Buggy $299.99
Kyosho DBX 1/10th 4WD Nitro Off Road Ready Set Buggy w/GXR18 & KT-6 Radio
I know they aren't high end race buggies like you guys have suggested but they seem like a good place to start. Are there any truggies similar to this price/quality range. I'd love to get an Losi-8 but my wallet won't allow it.
I have seen the rc8rs rtr for 450. They handle very nice and can compeat on the track. Plenty of room to upgrade over time as everything on the factory team issue will fit. If 400 is you max price, I would try to wait a little longer and get that
Old 05-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Well $400 isn't my max, I'm just trying to limit myself. I have over $2000 saved up that I could go throw at a car today if I wanted, but I'm not guarenteed a place to race at so I don't want to throw that cash out right away.
And I guess I'm better off to put up a lot at first and get a decent car, one question is hot bodies a branch off hpi or is that different?
Old 05-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #15
Tech Regular

yes, it's part of hpi. I am a huge losi fan myself, but I went to the d8t this year and could not be happier. My advice if you the kit rout is get the best electronics you can afford but go cheep for your first motor till you learn how to tune. I saw a guy new to notro buy an os speed cause they are rated so good and didnt care about cost and ruined it buy overheating.