R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike881 View Post
The hot bodies is the cheapest kit, by far. The Losi RTR is best for somebody who needs a radio and everything, and its still one of the top ones. My dad just purchased one yesterday and I'm very impressed...

Losi 8T 2.0 RTR vs Hot Bodies D8T
to bad when you and your dad race your d8t will kick the crap out of his losi. Ya man get the hot bodies d8/d8t find a used 3pks or m11 for 150-200 and then get teh engine and servo of your choice. How much are you looking to spend?
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You want a kit?

Mugen mbx6. Buy once, buy right.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #18
Tech Regular

If I was you I would go with the LOSI RTR it has everything and runs great. Most hobby shops carry Losi parts so thats good for you and ive seen those be competitive right out of the box. I went with the race roller and had to get everything by pieces and it costed me well over 2500 to get the set up that I wanted. But I got what I WANTED!!
Beenbreto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Gixxer2k4

I had a associated rc8rs and was competitive with that kit. The losi rtr is a better option to go with, comes with starter box and DX3s radio.

Your making a good decision by not dropping 2k at once, but i would recommend a better kit like the Losi instead of what you listed. I raced an RTR for a year before moving on to a kit.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenbreto View Post
If I was you I would go with the LOSI RTR it has everything and runs great. Most hobby shops carry Losi parts so thats good for you and ive seen those be competitive right out of the box. I went with the race roller and had to get everything by pieces and it costed me well over 2500 to get the set up that I wanted. But I got what I WANTED!!
this is excactly what i did. seems like it took F O R E V E R! But i got everything i wanted. This was the only option for me. And rtr was completely out of the question. Have to build it man. Not because i enjoy it, but also you will know excactly how to work on it and maintain it.

I could not imagine the horror of getting a mspec and trying to troublshoot when i have not wrenched on it what so ever.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude236 View Post
to bad when you and your dad race your d8t will kick the crap out of his losi. Ya man get the hot bodies d8/d8t find a used 3pks or m11 for 150-200 and then get teh engine and servo of your choice. How much are you looking to spend?
the first sentance made me lol

Rustler/TRX 3.3/Traxxas/Integy/Byron Fuels ( The girlfriends toy )
All4BSpinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4BSpinnin View Post
the first sentance made me lol
you're not alone
mike881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude236 View Post
Another fanboi with a lot of enthusiasm and very little knowledge.

Both the Losi and the HB are decent cars... as for which will "kick the crap out of" the other is up to the driver.

The Losi RTR is more cost effective to get started with. It is THE least expensive way to get a competitive setup when you are starting from scratch. Until somone else steps up and puts a decent car together with a decent radio and include a starter box and a bump start engine, that isn't going to change.

There are cheaper setups... but the term "cheaper" doesn't just mean "less expensive." You get what you pay for.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
You want a kit?

Mugen mbx6. Buy once, buy right.

+1!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #25
Tech Adept

I hve the Kyosho DBX, it was my first and only nitro buggy, and I am quite happy with it considering what I paid. It is obviously not a high end buggy ($220 complete at amainhobbies) and it is not perfect, but I have fun with it every time I play with it and it has been a fantastic learning platform. Parts are easy to find online (not at the local store) and for the most part not expensive (relative other brand parts I have seen). With almost 2.5 gallons through it the only parts to "break" are from me hitting things (trees, fence posts, etc..). A few things have worn out, but replacing them has been easy. So my summary is inexpensive, not perfect but lots of fun.
MattFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

O'Donnell Z01-B SG comes out this month, it's supposed to be amazing. $450 for the kit is a great price. My two cents.
skerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_109 View Post
Well $400 isn't my max, I'm just trying to limit myself. I have over $2000 saved up that I could go throw at a car today if I wanted, but I'm not guarenteed a place to race at so I don't want to throw that cash out right away.
And I guess I'm better off to put up a lot at first and get a decent car, one question is hot bodies a branch off hpi or is that different?
I would find out how the local tracks are, what are the popular classes that race there. Hot bodies and the Losi 8 rtr like some have suggested are great starting points. But with that kind of money I'd get an xray, but thats just me
Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #28
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know my local track runs a 1/8 buggy calss, most are electric but that just gets boreing to me, I love to tinker with things and electric just doesn't do it. I know there is a 1/8 open so I could run in that. Thanks for all the info so far uts been great. I'll probaly go with the hotbodies or losi, not qiuite sure yet. I'm gonna talk to some of the old timer nitroteers at the track and see what they say. And again thanks you've all been very helpful.
Matt_109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

anything losi or associated
funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkhouser View Post
anything losi or associated
For sure. They have class and can get parts anywhere. The best bang for the buck.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote