Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calipers or Cityblocks for truggy ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Calipers or Cityblocks for truggy ?

Has any one raced both of these tires? How did they compare? Would you buy again ? Just looking for a little help on what tire between these two people seem to prefer .
Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Tire

I have ran and like both. Both are a very safe all around tire good on all surfaces. I would lean toward calibers because I like the proline foam and the vtr's are lighter than aka's
Old 05-19-2010, 02:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I prefer city blocks. Thy just seem to be the go to tire for me atany given time
Old 05-19-2010, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

You are gonna get many different answers.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:48 AM
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

And it would be nice to get answers from racers who actually tested both tires!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

For the truggy I like the AKA more than proline, my fav is cityblock soft... those are awesome. I personally dont care about the weight. Im no super pro that can notice a difference if lap times. But I do notice the difference in tires and grip. plus my AKAs just last longer than the few sets of prolines I have..... THATS MY OPINION
Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i peferr the aka products ....i been running cityblocks & i-beam for 2 seasons now and the customer service is top knotch if a wheel break they replace them with no hassle also shipped asap
Old 05-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

what's a caliper ?

Ill assume you mean Caliber.

I personally feel the citi's dont last terrible long until you top row of pins is gone and the tires become overly slick.....Caliber's also dont tend to last very long in comparison to other treads...But they are both very versatile tires that work...its your choice...I vote try em both out and see which tire works better for your local condition's.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I run the calibers(soft) 90 percent of the time. I do prefer the soft city blocks on a blue grooved track that is very clean. You really cant go wrong with either tire on a good track surface. loamy tracks are where I run into problems with the city blocks. they dont clean out as well for me as the calibers.
Wear will be determined by your driving skills and set up on the car. If you spin a lot then they will both wear prematurely. I can get two full days of racing(4 to 5 races each day) out of a set of tires before they are pretty well done. I give my take offs to my partner and he will run them yet another day of races then they go in the garbage.

hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by mattozx6rr
I run the calibers(soft) 90 percent of the time. I do prefer the soft city blocks on a blue grooved track that is very clean. You really cant go wrong with either tire on a good track surface. loamy tracks are where I run into problems with the city blocks. they dont clean out as well for me as the calibers.
Wear will be determined by your driving skills and set up on the car. If you spin a lot then they will both wear prematurely. I can get two full days of racing(4 to 5 races each day) out of a set of tires before they are pretty well done. I give my take offs to my partner and he will run them yet another day of races then they go in the garbage.

hope this helps.

no kidding on running city blocks on a, dry loose track there not good i-beams though work dam good on a loose dry track. i havnt tried the calibers but as for ware on, any tire it depends on the driver.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have both. City Block are a better all around tire.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Loose and dry the caliber, if the track is grooved and has any sort of moisture, the city block tends to do a little better.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nothin special
Has any one raced both of these tires? How did they compare? Would you buy again ? Just looking for a little help on what tire between these two people seem to prefer .
Hey what's up nothin? You gonna be back at McCullough's this weekend for the Pro Series race?

As for tires, I actually like them both very much. They are two of the best all around tires you can buy. They seem to always work at least decently on any surface. Calibers seem to be a bit better if the track is loose or really dusty. Other than that, they are very close. I like the narrow carcass and super light weight of the Calibers, but like the AKA foams better. I feel the Ctiyblocks last a little bit longer too. Not that big a difference in wear rate, but the AKA's have a slight advantage. And on top of that, the AKA premounts are fantastic. I'm lazy about gluing tires, so I always find myself leaning towards the AKA's. I wouldn't trust any other premount, but the AKA's are dialed! Either one you pick, you won't be disappointed! Soft or M3 compound.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How can you choose one over the other? It's whatever works best on that track, that particular day. My calibers work great some days and are horrible another. Super soft citiblocks have been real good on most days but they sucked last sun. Even the days the calibers work they are a little looser than most tires i run on my truggy. They seem to work better on buggy for me.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Hey what's up nothin? You gonna be back at McCullough's this weekend for the Pro Series race?

As for tires, I actually like them both very much. They are two of the best all around tires you can buy. They seem to always work at least decently on any surface. Calibers seem to be a bit better if the track is loose or really dusty. Other than that, they are very close. I like the narrow carcass and super light weight of the Calibers, but like the AKA foams better. I feel the Ctiyblocks last a little bit longer too. Not that big a difference in wear rate, but the AKA's have a slight advantage. And on top of that, the AKA premounts are fantastic. I'm lazy about gluing tires, so I always find myself leaning towards the AKA's. I wouldn't trust any other premount, but the AKA's are dialed! Either one you pick, you won't be disappointed! Soft or M3 compound.
Hey Jammin hows it going ? Not going to be down for the pro race. Just got dental work done, and half my face is swollen, have to see him again tomorrow. Dont look to good for me this race. Bought a D8T. Its not together yet, but working on it . Im looking to be back down your way sometime real soon . I dont like to glue tires either, and had problems with Proline premounts also. What tires work well at your track ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.