Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

again,thanks for the input guys,so i will try the 50% thing
Old 05-26-2010, 05:44 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
Your car will bounce around like mad with 0% in it.... Its like having no shock absorbers in a 1/1 car. and you will bottom out your shock rods every time you land, which can cause damage to the shock body it self.
Pinky......stop spreading misinformation please......

Here is an explination from a AE driver: Team Associated 1/8 scale Buggy Info and Tips
davidfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc skyline View Post
Yeah... How could it be bouncy?, Would you not still have the dampening effect of the piston & oil (shock assy) regardless

Very interesting thread here guys... Looking forward to learning lots for my next shock re build but i must say i am still confused by all this dispite offroadens informative post

Dave
There are two components of shock damping, shock pistons and shock oil.

The basic purpose of your shocks is to take the bounce out of your springs. This is accomplished by the size of holes in your shock pistons and the viscosity (weight) of your shock oil.

The piston is a restrictor or dam that only lets the shock oil to past through it at a certain rate depending on the size of the holes or the viscosity of the oil.

The smaller the holes the more restriction and like wise the larger the holes the less restriction. This restriction happens on both compression and decompression of your suspension.

Compression being when your vehicle hits a bump or landing after a jump. Decompression is when your springs want to return your vehicle to ride height after the bump or jump.

Shock damping is the speed at which this happens, small piston holes will be slower and large piston holes will be faster.

As the shock piston moves inside your shock body oil passes through the piston. When the shock piston reaches a certain speed oil will start to backup behind the piston, this is called "packing up". As the shock packs up it acts like it is locked up.

A straight holed piston is going to allow for the same damping on both compression and decompression or rebound.

A piston with a tapered hole is going to compress and rebound differently. With the taper up your shock is going to have less damping on compression, with more damping on rebound. Just the opposite is going to take place with the taper pointing down, more damping on compression and less damping on rebound.

For an example, if you want your shocks to pack up quickly, so you will not bottom out after that big jump, but return to ride height a fast as possible. You may want a tapered piston, with the large part of the taper pointing down. This will make your shock act like it has heavier oil on compression and lighter oil on rebound.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hmmm, Thank you for your time and input and to be honest all that makes pretty good sense to me

The bit i could not understand is how or why it would be different because of where the piston is when the cap is screwed on

If its full of oil and bled of air thats about all you can do unless you change oil grade or piston set up yeah?

Thanks again, This is one part of my car i obviously need to learn how to set up properly

Shocks are coming apart tomorrow

Dave
MECCAMO FUEL - BETA Tires
www.fusionxengines.com.au
rc skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc skyline View Post
Hmmm, Thank you for your time and input and to be honest all that makes pretty good sense to me

The bit i could not understand is how or why it would be different because of where the piston is when the cap is screwed on

If its full of oil and bled of air thats about all you can do unless you change oil grade or piston set up yeah?

Thanks again, This is one part of my car i obviously need to learn how to set up properly

Shocks are coming apart tomorrow

Dave

No worries - always willing to lend a helping hand to a fellow racer.

One other bit of advice - ask your fellow racers at the track how they are setup and see if they can help out.

Enjoy -
Old 05-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

can someone with expertise explain this in layman terms a little better please? I am getting conflicting reports reading this. For instance, i am having trouble in rythm sections and small bumps at my track. And would like a better setup in my shocks. or how bout:

100% Rebound Makes the car more responsive? twitchy, does it make it smooth, float, absorb better what? THis is how my shocks have been since i have had my car.

50% does what?

0% ?

I have been neglecting on my shocks because i never thought rebound was that big a deal. I want to setup my rebound so it helps me glide better and makes it smoother. I have a bad rythm section where is just bounces all over the place. jumps are not a problem and my traction roll and everything is good too.

just a laymen explanation would be nice. For now i am just going to do 50% I have been using 100% rebound

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #22
Tech Elite

just reread the whole thread and i think i understand now. I have been running 100% which is why my bladders are concaved all the time. I am surprised i have never had problems with my shocks. Am going 50% now.

Mugen
Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #23
Tech Elite

went zero instead.

Mugen
Old 05-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
went zero instead.
Lol after reading this thread I went zero too
mike881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

I like zero rebound at our club track, my truggy is planted and eats up the rough like no other. I would add rebound if I was having a hard time clearing any of our jumps. You do what suits your driving style the most.

All you have to do at the track to tune in your rebound is back the cap off a couple of turns, put the shock shaft where you want it, and tighten the cap back up..after that, you drive through that section a few times and see what you think.
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #26
Tech Elite

the more rebound you have, the easier it is to clear jumps?

Mugen
Old 05-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #27
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

You get more 'pop' of the jumps with rebound, of course, that isn't the only factor involved in clearing a jump, it's just another tuning aid that will help.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #28
Tech Elite

ok, thanks.

Mugen
Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Great Post Guys! I have learned alot. Still do not understand everything, but alot more that prior to the post.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by outamoney View Post
Great Post Guys! I have learned alot. Still do not understand everything, but alot more that prior to the post.
I'm glad to hear that you're finding it useful..I still don't know everything either but I like to learn what works for me.