Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Serpent vs. Durango...let the war begin! >

Serpent vs. Durango...let the war begin!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent vs. Durango...let the war begin!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Serpent vs. Durango...let the war begin!

So let's here what the people have to say. Do you think the Serpent 811 or Durango 408 will prove to be the better buggy and why? Both have similar designs and both are high quality rigs. Do other buggies like Mugen,Losi and Associated stand a chance if driver skills are similar?

Old 05-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

u should just ask what looks better, as at this point its ALL speculation...they both look good, durango looks better,
Old 05-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i personally think they are both over engineered and overly complicated making them have to many moving parts which in return has far more things to go wrong. that happened in the motocross world when they went from 2-strokes to 4-strokes, even 6 years after they almost everyone switch there is still more DNFs than there ever were with 2 strokes, to many moving parts. but im very curious to see them out on the track. im worried that the rear shocks are going to get to warm and thin to oil out causing a big change in performance by the end of the main. but who knows they might be on to something there!!
Old 05-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

here is a video of serpant: http://vimeo.com/9655459

and here is the Durango in action: http://vimeo.com/10668670
Old 05-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
i personally think they are both over engineered and overly complicated making them have to many moving parts which in return has far more things to go wrong. that happened in the motocross world when they went from 2-strokes to 4-strokes, even 6 years after they almost everyone switch there is still more DNFs than there ever were with 2 strokes, to many moving parts. but im very curious to see them out on the track. im worried that the rear shocks are going to get to warm and thin to oil out causing a big change in performance by the end of the main. but who knows they might be on to something there!!
Where in the hell do u get that from? Dirtbike racing with 4 strokes r far far more better now with 4 strokes over 2 strokes in everyway possible. Don't say stuff like that when u don't really no, it just gets under my skin!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
Where in the hell do u get that from? Dirtbike racing with 4 strokes r far far more better now with 4 strokes over 2 strokes in everyway possible. Don't say stuff like that when u don't really no, it just gets under my skin!
ok yeah i dont know since i had my PRO license!!! i do know, trust me. i would be racing still but had a career ending injury. they are better now but still not as reliable as a 2-stroke and wont be for many many years. ride a full pro circuit race bike and you will NOT get 5 hours on it before it will blow and a had a full blown pro circuit 125 and i could go three months without needing anything, i know from experience.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

Just my two cents on the dirt bike stuff. How old is 2 stroke technology and how old is 4 stroke technology? That may have something to do with the reliability of the full blown racing bikes. Stock for stock though they both are pretty reliable. One's just easier to rebuild than another.

Now on the buggies, both look good. I think the difference will be in the team. It takes different kinds of set ups and development for euro and American tracks. I believe the buggy with the better team will be the victor.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Tech Master

Last edited by Matt Piva; 05-22-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (98%+)

The durango looks AMAZING in the air. It makes a perfect arc off those NEO jumps without any input and turns on a dime. I keep reading that the serepent guys are tearing up in florida with the s811 and that the buggy looks really good, but to me, from watching videos of billy at nitro challenge and neo, the serpent seems kinda pushy - like it has a much wider line than the durango. Of course the durango in that neo video looks like its able to turn on the inside of that pipe like an RC8 but is still able to jump better than anything on the track. I dont know much about buggies but im going to wait until the durango comes out to make a decision.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Tech Master

Fighting over nothing I'm over it. Serpents better IMO jumps better. 2 strokes were fun 4 strokes were better n more reliable but cost more over all. Bye.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Yes

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
I agree with the four strokes. Too complicated. But the buggies look great. I say time will tell I havent driven either one, but I do think any buggy can win it's strange. My 808 is great, I raced a friends mugen and it was great, Losi ok, but the kyosho is great most forget kyosho makes really good cars, the odonnell is fast and turns great although a coppy of the 777, rc8 is smooth,hotbodies is a bit cheesy, but runs really well too,,,, any car set up by a good racer can win. I love the looks of the durango but I think billy easton is super smart and seems to have outdone himself, so I like the serpent better so far.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:11 AM
Tech Regular

Both cars still are not available to the public at the moment, so I think it's useless to compare these cars right now. Everyone of the current pro drivers running the Cobra or DNX - Billy, Hupo, etc. - are capable of running super fast laps with almost a piece of cr*p with an antenna mounted on it.
When both cars are finally available, we will see how the average joe is doing with the cars. This will tell more about performance and durability than any of the race results of the top guns.
Personally I think both cars are made with a ton of attention to details. The Cobra is very "racey" with a lot of plastic parts - comparable to the competition - while the Durango looks little bit like a piece of engineering art. I don't want to use the word "shelf queen" here, because I think, it is too negative. It has so many machined aluminum parts - simply amazing.
We have to wait some time until we'll see which one is doing better in the hard world of rc car racing.

Just my 0.02$

Triple
Old 05-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The serpent cars are on UPS and FED EX trucks as we speak shipping to hobby shops here in the states. So you should see guys turning up with them at tracks around the country for next weekends club racing
Old 05-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by triplesix
Both cars still are not available to the public at the moment, so I think it's useless to compare these cars right now. Everyone of the current pro drivers running the Cobra or DNX - Billy, Hupo, etc. - are capable of running super fast laps with almost a piece of cr*p with an antenna mounted on it.
When both cars are finally available, we will see how the average joe is doing with the cars. This will tell more about performance and durability than any of the race results of the top guns.
Personally I think both cars are made with a ton of attention to details. The Cobra is very "racey" with a lot of plastic parts - comparable to the competition - while the Durango looks little bit like a piece of engineering art. I don't want to use the word "shelf queen" here, because I think, it is too negative. It has so many machined aluminum parts - simply amazing.
We have to wait some time until we'll see which one is doing better in the hard world of rc car racing.

Just my 0.02$

Triple
What he said
Old 05-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Durango looks sweet ...inserts to tune chassis flex wow...made for racers who love to try set-ups as much as racing

serpent ...seems to be set-up to run fast right out of the box...

Agama... look on there thread and check out the manual link....pretty sweet design also

im still waiting on the damn hyper 9 truggy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.