R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buellboy1200 View Post
So I finnally got it started I had it running for about a min and pulled the glow igniter off and it died. And I haven't got it started yet. As for the starter box it's a cheap one. I didn't think it made a huge differance with what one you got. I probably should get a good one. Ne ideas?? And my motor does turn really hard at tdc
you lost a glow plug for sure, you should never leave a glow igniter on long!! def not 5 min, min stays on for maybe 10 seconds after it first starts.

also the best starter box on the market right now is the Ofna Blue Truggy box. it works for buggy and truggy. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-Starter-Box
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
you lost a glow plug for sure, you should never leave a glow igniter on long!! def not 5 min, min stays on for maybe 10 seconds after it first starts.

also the best starter box on the market right now is the Ofna Blue Truggy box. it works for buggy and truggy. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-Starter-Box
I completly argree with that starter box statement but if you want another great starter box, which imo is a little less good, get the ofna crome top. Just make sure its the 12v one and you good to go.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ox-w-12V-Motor
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude236 View Post
I completly argree with that starter box statement but if you want another great starter box, which imo is a little less good, get the ofna crome top. Just make sure its the 12v one and you good to go.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ox-w-12V-Motor
that was my first starter box and still have it as a back up, great box, it just doesnt spin as fast but it will start anything also it just may take a second to turn it fast enough. the only reason i got the blue box was because its a little easier to carry and a little lighter.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
that was my first starter box and still have it as a back up, great box, it just doesnt spin as fast but it will start anything also it just may take a second to turn it fast enough. the only reason i got the blue box was because its a little easier to carry and a little lighter.
ya its the box i have, i just have the panel. I got it used cheap so i took it. That is my one complaint, its a hogg to carry around.
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude236 View Post
ya its the box i have, i just have the panel. I got it used cheap so i took it. That is my one complaint, its a hogg to carry around.
yeah i got mine for 35 bucks with a 12v gel cell and a charger so i snatched it up and used it for a year, now it just my back up box i guess, i cant get rid of it because it will never fail you.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The factory needles are rich, you need to lean your needles to keep it running. Turn the high speed needle 2hrs and your low speed 1/2 turn and that should get you going. Hope this help.
JR Z-1 Spektrum Mod & Rec
jaywax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:11 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywax View Post
The factory needles are rich, you need to lean your needles to keep it running. Turn the high speed needle 2hrs and your low speed 1/2 turn and that should get you going. Hope this help.
That's what I found out. Get the 97T plug, put some heat to it, and should be good to go.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had to open up
the idle screw or it wouldn't start..check that first
Old 05-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #24
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Both of the ones I bought new would run out of the box at the factory settings, however they are very rich like stated above. I would suggest adjusting the idle gap before leaning any of the needles. 2 hours on top is no big deal, but a half turn on the low is huge!
Old 05-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default idle gap

I agree with the idle gap being the first adjustment. Both of mine would fire but would not idle alone out of the box. So I turned the idle up till it would run. Leave it that way till you get to the 6-8 tank range. When you start to see the motor wake up a little and idle on its own back it off some.

Hobby Pro USA, Maclan, Casterracingparts , RADIOPOST, Vp-Pro USA
stu541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #26
Tech Initiate

Finally got it to stay running.it wasn't the plug. Bought a new one and I did te same. I read up more about it and I found out that turbo plugs like heat. They need alot of it. So I putthe other head on for a normal plug and it's runs so much better for the break in. Especially cause it's no getting very hot. I'll try going back later. Thanks for all the help. Really useful
buellboy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Alderman View Post
Both of the ones I bought new would run out of the box at the factory settings, however they are very rich like stated above. I would suggest adjusting the idle gap before leaning any of the needles. 2 hours on top is no big deal, but a half turn on the low is huge!
Actually the half turn on the bottom is not that big for this engine. Your final low speed settings will be close to 1 or 1 1/4 from flush.
JR Z-1 Spektrum Mod & Rec
jaywax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywax View Post
Actually the half turn on the bottom is not that big for this engine. Your final low speed settings will be close to 1 or 1 1/4 from flush.
If he is wanting to follow the breakin instructions with the engine its a big adjustment is what I really meant. I will agree that for a race tune you will end up around what you stated as mine is pretty close to that as well.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #29
Tech Initiate

Does anyone know what the operating temp should be? I have a os motor and I can't get it to run over 200 without running like crap. But I feel I can lean the ss21 out alot more
buellboy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by buellboy1200 View Post
Does anyone know what the operating temp should be? I have a os motor and I can't get it to run over 200 without running like crap. But I feel I can lean the ss21 out alot more
220 ish should be good.