Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamite Mach 2 .21 question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Dynamite Mach 2 .21 question

Hey, long time lurker here. So I have a Mach2 that came with a pullstart. I have since removed said pullstarter, but upon receiving the normal backplate, I have found it does not fit, having about a 2mm gap between block and plate where it is hitting the crank. I presume this has to do with an extra bit they put on the crank so it would fit into the notches in the OWB for the pullstarter.
My question is, can this engine be run with the plate with the backplate with the OWB in it without the PS? If not, what options exist to remedy this?
My thanks for any help given.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Make sure you have the correct backplate. It must have a air tight fit. Make sure you are putting it on correct. It should have a groove in it so the crank won't hit it. I know what I took the pullstart off a Mach 427 I used the one for the sportwerks 26 because you didn't have to cut the pin to make it fit flush and the one that came from losi you did.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

Kris, you have 3 options, Just run the pull start back plate, grind the pull start pin off the end of your crankshaft, try fitting another non pull start crank into your motor. I don't know if the Dynamite Platinum .21 crank will fit but you could start you're search there.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KrisB
Hey, long time lurker here. So I have a Mach2 that came with a pullstart. I have since removed said pullstarter, but upon receiving the normal backplate, I have found it does not fit, having about a 2mm gap between block and plate where it is hitting the crank. I presume this has to do with an extra bit they put on the crank so it would fit into the notches in the OWB for the pullstarter.
My question is, can this engine be run with the plate with the backplate with the OWB in it without the PS? If not, what options exist to remedy this?
My thanks for any help given.
A couple years ago i had the same issue with a dynamite engine. Alls you have to do is dremel like you said a couple mm off the backplate. Just be sure to clean all metal shavings off the plate before putting plate back onto the crankcase(and keep the engine itself far away from you when you go to grinding). If it dont fit...shave more off. The sportwerks21v2(made by sh, similar to the mach2)i did this to went over 6 gallons after i did this. I also have a mach2 with about 3 gallons. Sh based mills are good. Just make sure everything is clean when you reassemble.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

[quote=8&stuff;7435793]A couple years ago i had the same issue with a dynamite engine. Alls you have to do is dremel like you said a couple mm off the backplate. Just be sure to clean all metal shavings off the plate before putting plate back onto the crankcase(and keep the engine itself far away from you when you go to grinding). If it dont fit...shave more off. The sportwerks21v2(made by sh, similar to the mach2)i did this to went over 6 gallons after i did this. I also have a mach2 with about 3 gallons. Sh based mills are good. Just make sure everything is clean when you reassemble.[/quote

+1 I just did it. to check if you took enough out don't screw it in just push snug with your hand and turn the flywheel and the pin for the pull start will leave a mark on the backplate. Keep doing it until you take enough off.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

If your back plate looks like this, you dont have to cut the pin.
http://dynamiterc.com/Products/Defau...ProdID=DYN0960

If it looks like this, you have to cut the pin.
http://dynamiterc.com/Products/Defau...ProdID=DYN0922
Old 05-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Just be sure whatever you do to keep the piston at top dead center when you are putting the backplate on
Old 05-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Chill_Will
If your back plate looks like this, you dont have to cut the pin.
Excellent, thank you for that link. I had my LHS order me that exact thing.