R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default break in bench

I just recently purchased a GRP ninja and a Hudy break in bench to break it in on and was wondering what the best way would be to break this in on the break in bench as i have never done it on a bench before and want to treat this engine very nice.
Thanks.
Simple GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

found this on Adam Drake post...

"boostfiend- Glad to hear you purchased a GRP engine. They are great engines. Out of the box the carb will be set very rich. Heat the engine with a temp gun to 160-170 degrees. Start the engine and adjust idle. I use a 1/10th scale truck tire foam to wrap around the head. This will help keep the engine up to temp during break-in. You want to keep the engine in the 170 - 180 degree range. Let the engine idle for 4-5 tanks. Now it's time to start running it on the track or in the street. You want to start with the engine a little on the high speed needle. It ok to run the engine with the low speed needle lean (race setting), but keep the high speed needle a little on the rich side for another 4-5 tanks. You want to make sure the engine is getting plenty of lubrication on the straights. It can take up to a full gallon of fuel before the engine is completely broken in. Be patient and take your time. It will pay off." -Adam Drake.

so u can use bench for the first 5 tanks...
XCORERacing Servos
SPECTRUM DSM
RedlandRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

wow. Run the lsn at a race tune? No thanks. I would at least turn the lsn an hour or two richer then a race tune to be safe. But i am not adam drake. He has forgotten more then i will ever know.

Still woundn't do it though.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

After 4 or 5 tanks...leaning the LSN is not a problem. It affects such a small range of throttle anyway, so as long as your HSN is rich....you're fine to drive it that way. The LSN meters fuel after the HSN anyway.....
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

I will be running my last tank on my bench this morning and then will edit a vid over the weekend for someone on this thread ... it'll give you an idea of what I do ... Hudy engine break-in stand alternatives?
Jed the Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Really looking forward to the vid Jed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlandRacing View Post
found this on Adam Drake post...

"boostfiend- Glad to hear you purchased a GRP engine. They are great engines. Out of the box the carb will be set very rich. Heat the engine with a temp gun to 160-170 degrees. Start the engine and adjust idle. I use a 1/10th scale truck tire foam to wrap around the head. This will help keep the engine up to temp during break-in. You want to keep the engine in the 170 - 180 degree range. Let the engine idle for 4-5 tanks. Now it's time to start running it on the track or in the street. You want to start with the engine a little on the high speed needle. It ok to run the engine with the low speed needle lean (race setting), but keep the high speed needle a little on the rich side for another 4-5 tanks. You want to make sure the engine is getting plenty of lubrication on the straights. It can take up to a full gallon of fuel before the engine is completely broken in. Be patient and take your time. It will pay off." -Adam Drake.

so u can use bench for the first 5 tanks...

And he is still recommending the "old school" idle for 4 tanks?
I thought the pros said that that was putting to much stress on the con rod and so on?
Simple GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Certainly not the most exciting video I've ever done ... Obviously there are lots of ways to do this ... this is just mine ... main thing is to preheat it and keep it up between 180 and 200 degrees during each tank ... nice and easy idle to seat the bearings and keep it good and rich ... I will usually run between 8 and 12 tanks on the bench depending on time (if it's needed in a truck or I have another one waiting to break in) ... in this case I have another engine to break in before Alabama (can't wait) so the 8 tanks will do the O.S. ... whole vid is just under 3 minutes ... I read from someone on here (I think) commenting that they wanted to get a bench so they could work on other things while the engine ran but you will see the way I do it I could only walk away for the first 10 minutes ... I am always standing over the engine while it's running

Comments are welcome ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9mXj11q_go

edit** I should also add that the bench still only serves as the initial breakin on the engine ... it still continues to be run easy for a tank or two (no long WOT runs) after going in a truck unless the sleeve has been fitted (thank you Clockwork Racing) ... but within a few tanks I'm tweaking the needles and getting it race ready and until I find a full engine sponsor I will always lean on the side of rich (pardon the play on words)
Jed the Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote