R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Engine Maintenance

I'm relatively new to the Nitro scene and want to start doing everything "right".

I have a DM-1, with the Force .28 and will be getting a .21 Vspec for my "on the way" Truggy very soon.

I read the break in bible and looks like I did everything right during break in and I'm starting to get a handle on tuning.

My question is about Engine maintenance...

I use Mystery Oil as my after run and it seems to work well.

What else and how often do I (should I) do other things?
I have friends that tear down and clean/polish everything after every race day.
Others that do nothing but use after run.

Is there a happy medium or whats even really necessary?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

For the engines I keep the outside clean and change bearings as needed. I don't use AOR unless it's going to be longer than 2 weeks between races. If you use a high quality fuel there is pleanty of oil in there. Otherwise I use the if it ain't broke don't try to fix it so if my engines are running strong I leave them alone. Why year them apart and risk gettig dirt inside. Some guys will tear anything apart and then wonder why it don't work right when they put it back togeather. Most engines will need bearings around 5 gallons. Some sooner some later but that's a good middle point. If thefront bearing is not leaking leave it alone. I have enough to do with diff oil and shocks and busted parts to keep me busy without adding to it. That's what works for me.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
Tech Regular

How often do you change the connecting rod?
Mine is about 2 gallons old and i'm not sure if i can run one more race (less than 1 gallon)...

I run JPX .21 in 8T1.0 if it matters...

Thanks in advance
Donat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I dont tear my engines down until the front bearing leaks. then its bearings and a rod if needed. I do take the inspection cover off the back of the case after a long race weekend just to take a look inside and make sure everything is still good to go. Will usually do a wd40 flush at that point as well. I do not use after run oil unless the motor is going to sit for more than 2 weeks. Fuel tank and fuel lines should be empty before you shelf it as well.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I always use after run oil after a day of running. It isn't about oil in the fuel or not. It's about purging out the fuel which is hygroscopic (attracts moisture). Keep it clean for heat dissipation. Every fall I take them apart and thoroughly clean and inspect for the winter "sit".
Old 05-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat View Post
How often do you change the connecting rod?
Mine is about 2 gallons old and i'm not sure if i can run one more race (less than 1 gallon)...

I run JPX .21 in 8T1.0 if it matters...

Thanks in advance
Good rule of thumb...change your rod after the first two gallons. May not be 100% necesary, but it's cheap insurance.

The rod is highly stressed during break in, and while the engine is really tight when new. Two gallons is about a good time to replace it. After replacing, you can leave that one in until the engine is worn out.

Keep the old rod to use for future break in, assuming it's not bent or cracked.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

IMO rod and bearings should be changed after 1-3 gallons. After that you shouldn't need to replace any other parts. I tear all of my engines down after every couple gallons of fuel for an inspection. I will check the rod bushing, crank pin and bearings. Give the engine a good cleaning with a soft rag and some denatured alcohol. Once I'm happy that everything is cleaned up and in spec, I reassemble using a good after run oil to coat everything before I put the pieces together. Make sure you get a good amount of oil on the crank pin/rod bushing as well as in the rear bearing. You don't want a dry engine when you go to crank it over next time. I like the GMK supply ARO or one by te name of Blue Block. They are both safe for silicone filled cranks and are not too thick that they will gum the engine up. I only use ARO when the engine is going to be stored for a long period of time. If you run a good fuel there is no need to use ARO after every run. I also DO NOT believe in running an engine dry(running every last drop of fuel out of it) after a race day. You're just putting unnecessary stress on it for no reason. A little bit of fuel left inside the engine does a lot less damage than running it dry.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

thanks for all the input.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
Tech Regular

I've got a problem not exacly with the engine but with the exhaust seals.
Every time i take the pipe off the seal between engine and pipe is cut. Is it normal? If not, how can i solve this problem? I don't want to replace this seal so frequently...

Sorry for my bad english... I hope you understand it (if not i will post a pic )

EDIT: Link to the seal
Donat is offline   Reply With Quote