R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Best low end pipe for Picco P7R EVO3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for the best low end pipe for a Picco EVO3. It is being used in a MBX6T. Currently using JP-3 and doesnt seem to have the low end punch. Thought about OS 2050 Pavidas edition or Dynamite 053. Anyone have expierence with this motor? Any input would be appreciated.
Velocity8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity8T View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for the best low end pipe for a Picco EVO3. It is being used in a MBX6T. Currently using JP-3 and doesnt seem to have the low end punch. Thought about OS 2050 Pavidas edition or Dynamite 053. Anyone have expierence with this motor? Any input would be appreciated.
That engine should have nearly uncontrollable bottom end....You need to check the head shims on that engine...chances are you have too many shims from the factory, lowering compresion to the point it loses its bottom end.... Please remove the head button and tell me how many shims it has
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
That engine should have nearly uncontrollable bottom end....You need to check the head shims on that engine...chances are you have too many shims from the factory, lowering compresion to the point it loses its bottom end.... Please remove the head button and tell me how many shims it has
I will take the head off first thing in the morning and check it out. It is exactly how it came out of the box...never been apart.
Velocity8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

for bottom end a 053 or 2013 should pull out a few tree stumps.
that jp3 is a 3 chamber topend pipe.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

When I need low end punch and good mid range I use a Dynamite 007... It's a good pipe for the money.
Torian4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Picco EFRA 069.

You can still get the pipeset on Amain under Trinity/Picco/Adam Drake label for a fair price.

Great feel, good overall mileage. I've loved it on every Picco I've run thus far; also works great on GRP's and some Nova's.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Tech Master

That pipe & that motor should have enough low end right off idle that many people would say its undrivable,wich is perfect for me.
I would venture a guess you have another problem like tune,clutch springs or bearings or something else down the line.Since Maximo has considerable experience with piccos & its only 4 screws to check I would go with his suggestion first.Make sure the shimms dont stick together when you check.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

EVO 3 is best suited for buggy not saying you can't use it in truggy. I've got a EVO 2 and 3 used with JP3 pipe used in RC8B. Damn the top end of the EVO3 and seems too have close to the bottom end of the EVO 2 after that all EVO 3.
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:34 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

The Picco 069 pipe will give you stupid amounts of bottom end all the way through the midrange. They show up on ebay pretty cheap from time to time. It also fits the stock picco angled exhaust outlet and gasket perfectly.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ofna 053 is great on that mill.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Picco P7 EVO 2 and P7 EVO 3 are identical engines.... The only difference is the EVO 3 come with 2 extra head shims.....however the original EVO 3 had a special shim under the sleeve to raise the sleeve...But they no longer add that shim...... But other then a few shims there is no performance difference between the engines...

053...works OK< but nowhere near as good as a 086 or JP4

I am going to tell you right now your issue is the engine has too many head shims, all the EVO 3 come shimmed way too high, which lowers compression to the point of killing low end performance.......

Take the engine apart, check how many shims under the head...as well if your comfortable please pull the sleeve out of the block and see if yours has the shim under the sleeve.......depending on whether you have a shim under the sleeve or not will determine where I want you to set you clearance.....

Believe it or not, but once you have the head clearance set I recomend you run a 086 tuned pipe as your first choice....After that a JP4, then a JP3....
Old 05-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

m.velder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Picco P7 EVO 2 and P7 EVO 3 are identical engines.... The only difference is the EVO 3 come with 2 extra head shims.....however the original EVO 3 had a special shim under the sleeve to raise the sleeve...But they no longer add that shim...... But other then a few shims there is no performance difference between the engines...

053...works OK< but nowhere near as good as a 086 or JP4

I am going to tell you right now your issue is the engine has too many head shims, all the EVO 3 come shimmed way too high, which lowers compression to the point of killing low end performance.......

Take the engine apart, check how many shims under the head...as well if your comfortable please pull the sleeve out of the block and see if yours has the shim under the sleeve.......depending on whether you have a shim under the sleeve or not will determine where I want you to set you clearance.....

Believe it or not, but once you have the head clearance set I recomend you run a 086 tuned pipe as your first choice....After that a JP4, then a JP3....
Maximo, I run a stock Jammin Plus with a 086, great engine . Can I remove a couple of shims on this engine .
Old 05-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothin special View Post
Maximo, I run a stock Jammin Plus with a 086, great engine . Can I remove a couple of shims on this engine .
if you run a Picco plug, and know how to tune you can definitely remove 1 shim...a JPX 21 Plus runs .5 mm total shim...2 x 0.2 mm and 1 x 0.1 mm...remove the 0.1 mm...........However do not do this if you run OD or OS plugs as those plugs will not handle the higher compression
Old 05-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run only the Picco plugs. I have had a handful of Piccos engines and have not had a major tuning problem with a one . Thanks for the info .