R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #16
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothin special View Post
I run only the Picco plugs. I have had a handful of Piccos engines and have not had a major tuning problem with a one . Thanks for the info .
Good job Buddy !

a vast majority of Picco tuning issues are from guys thinking a OD or OS plug is just as good in the Picco, unfortunately they are nowhere close to being as good as the Picco plugs....The only way to run a Picco turbo engine is with genuine Picco turbo plugs....I have tried every plug under the sun and nothing tunes and runs like a Picco plug.....With a OD plug guys are having to add shims to run 30%, with a Picco plug I am removing shims and running 30%..The power difference is night and day !
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

There are different lengths in glow plugs is the issue. The OS plugs are shorter must use longer plugs like McCoys
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
There are different lengths in glow plugs is the issue. The OS plugs are shorter must use longer plugs like McCoys
Some are referring to turbo plugs and the way they seat; not just long/short body standard plugs
Old 05-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I ran a 007ht dynamite on my evo 3 it ran awesome tons of torque in my mbx6t. Cheap pipe great power
billyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Picco P7 EVO 2 and P7 EVO 3 are identical engines.... The only difference is the EVO 3 come with 2 extra head shims.....however the original EVO 3 had a special shim under the sleeve to raise the sleeve...But they no longer add that shim...... But other then a few shims there is no performance difference between the engines...

053...works OK< but nowhere near as good as a 086 or JP4

I am going to tell you right now your issue is the engine has too many head shims, all the EVO 3 come shimmed way too high, which lowers compression to the point of killing low end performance.......

Take the engine apart, check how many shims under the head...as well if your comfortable please pull the sleeve out of the block and see if yours has the shim under the sleeve.......depending on whether you have a shim under the sleeve or not will determine where I want you to set you clearance.....

Believe it or not, but once you have the head clearance set I recomend you run a 086 tuned pipe as your first choice....After that a JP4, then a JP3....
Rite on Neal!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
That engine should have nearly uncontrollable bottom end....You need to check the head shims on that engine...chances are you have too many shims from the factory, lowering compresion to the point it loses its bottom end.... Please remove the head button and tell me how many shims it has
Ok took head off. Has 2 shims...one is .004 and the other is .008 Didn't pull the sleeve out though. I am using odonells 30% and using 1.0 clutch springs. Also using OS #8 plugs.
Velocity8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

OS plug are too short for a Picco need to use Picco or McCoy plug
Old 05-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

The crank shafts are different between EVO 2 and EVO 3
Old 05-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
The crank shafts are different between EVO 2 and EVO 3
no they are not ! I got both here in multiples !
Old 05-20-2010, 12:37 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

+1 for 086
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
no they are not ! I got both here in multiples !
So do I 2 of each 2 early models 2 latest models. EVO3 has raised sleeve and different crank timing
Old 05-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Quote:
So do I 2 of each 2 early models 2 latest models. EVO3 has raised sleeve and different crank timing

I can't doupt you, as there is some variances in the Picco crank timings...however on average 10 EVO 3 and 10 JPX 21 Plus and 10 of the last gen EVO 2 ( there were some changes to the EVO 2 over the production runs ) , all have the same crank timing.... The EVO 3, JPX 21 Plus and last gen EVO 2 are all the same as far as crank timing is concerned...you can even check the part numbers from OFNA....... Tho as i said before Picco does seem to evolve their timing, the original EVO 2 did have slightly different timing timing then the last gen EVO 2..
Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I can't doupt you, as there is some variances in the Picco crank timings...however on average 10 EVO 3 and 10 JPX 21 Plus and 10 of the last gen EVO 2 ( there were some changes to the EVO 2 over the production runs ) , all have the same crank timing.... The EVO 3, JPX 21 Plus and last gen EVO 2 are all the same as far as crank timing is concerned...you can even check the part numbers from OFNA....... Tho as i said before Picco does seem to evolve their timing, the original EVO 2 did have slightly different timing timing then the last gen EVO 2..
I was also going by part#s I ordered another EVO3 from nitrohouse. They are on backorder so I thought of changing 1 of my EVO2 into EVO3. I did ask about parts but 112.00 for crank ummmm NO. I'm going to wait for them to come in week or 2
Old 05-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Quote:
I was also going by part#s I ordered another EVO3 from nitrohouse. They are on backorder so I thought of changing 1 of my EVO2 into EVO3. I did ask about parts but 112.00 for crank ummmm NO. I'm going to wait for them to come in week or 2

I have 2 mod EVO 3 in stock....
Old 05-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well installed a picco glow plug (51007) and went to a club race this weekend. Warmed engine & then track tuned it. (sunny 81 degrees 60% humidity). Didnt notice any improvements at all except now i expeirenced a couple flame outs which never happened before. 16 laps into the "A" main (28-30 second lap times) the engine flamed out! Any suggestions? Shims in head? Pipe? Glow plug? Fuel? Thanks in advance.
Velocity8T is offline   Reply With Quote