Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Mach 427 piston sticking >

Mach 427 piston sticking

Mach 427 piston sticking

Old 05-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Mach 427 piston sticking

My brother in law is having trouble with his piston in a mach 427 sticking just after it starts the compression. He has it out and I was looking at it and it doesn't look like it is binding or anything, the bearings feel good, and everything looks right. The motor isn't very old and has had great compression. He said he was running it and it stuck while driving. We have tried lubing it with fuel and after run oil but it still sticks just as soon as it passes the ports and seals off the bottom of the cylinder.

Anyone have any suggestions of what to check or how to fix this before we tear it all apart.

Thanks, Uhgg
Old 05-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

How much fuel has he ran through it?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Not 100% sure, he bought it used (Ebay). From looking at the car and comparing it to my muggy, that has seen almost 2 gallons, I don't think it has seen much fuel. I am thinking he has ran maybe 8 tanks thru it since he got it. The person he bought it from bought it from someone else as well and only drove it up and down his driveway once.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Uhgg
My brother in law is having trouble with his piston in a mach 427 sticking just after it starts the compression. He has it out and I was looking at it and it doesn't look like it is binding or anything, the bearings feel good, and everything looks right. The motor isn't very old and has had great compression. He said he was running it and it stuck while driving. We have tried lubing it with fuel and after run oil but it still sticks just as soon as it passes the ports and seals off the bottom of the cylinder.

Anyone have any suggestions of what to check or how to fix this before we tear it all apart.

Thanks, Uhgg
Im wondering if that sleeve has been repinched too tight
Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

It ran fine for the 8 or so tanks he has ran thru it. He hasn't had it repinched or anything. He told me he was running it, stopped and refueled and then started it up and it stuck at TDC. He showed me the motor and it doesn't get anywhere near TDC before it sticks, you have to physically push it down while turning the flywheel to get it to release, otherwise the shaft turns in the piston arm.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

open it and take a close look, maybe the rod is bent