help...failsafe after hard landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

help...failsafe after hard landing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default help...failsafe after hard landing?

Hi everyone, i am kinda new to nitro... i have 2 gallons through my first nitro buggy (jammin x1x rtr) and most of the problems I have run into so far I have been able to solve by looking through this forum...so I will start off by saying thank you...

but I have run into something I cant find any threads on...

after a hard landing (flat bottoming, casing a jump or even hitting the top of a whoop hard) my radio goes into what I think is fail safe mode for 4-8 seconds, the car returns to idle, i have no control over steering, gas or brakes ....after a few seconds, the wheels snap straight and the gas begins working fine again...it never happens while running on flat ground only while jumping....

I have checked all the connections inside of the car and they are all good, nothing loose or dirty...i have also tried to insulate the inside of my receiver box with a few different materials to keep the receiver from bouncing around...(felt pads, Styrofoam and soft tape stuff from the lhs)

the radio is a futaba 2pl-2.4g and the receiver is a r603gf...ace1013 steering servo, stock ofna gas/brake.. i am also still using the stock battery box with AA's...any help would be appreciated... thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by deucedeuce
Hi everyone, i am kinda new to nitro... i have 2 gallons through my first nitro buggy (jammin x1x rtr) and most of the problems I have run into so far I have been able to solve by looking through this forum...so I will start off by saying thank you...

but I have run into something I cant find any threads on...

after a hard landing (flat bottoming, casing a jump or even hitting the top of a whoop hard) my radio goes into what I think is fail safe mode for 4-8 seconds, the car returns to idle, i have no control over steering, gas or brakes ....after a few seconds, the wheels snap straight and the gas begins working fine again...it never happens while running on flat ground only while jumping....

I have checked all the connections inside of the car and they are all good, nothing loose or dirty...i have also tried to insulate the inside of my receiver box with a few different materials to keep the receiver from bouncing around...(felt pads, Styrofoam and soft tape stuff from the lhs)

the radio is a futaba 2pl-2.4g and the receiver is a r603gf...ace1013 steering servo, stock ofna gas/brake.. i am also still using the stock battery box with AA's...any help would be appreciated... thanks
Try by-passing your on-off switchand see if it still does it...just a thought.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Initiate

What type a battery are running? Is it possible your servos are drawing more power than your pack can deliver and causing momentary drop in voltage that trips your failsafe?
Old 05-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaptain crash
Try by-passing your on-off switchand see if it still does it...just a thought.
Get yourself a 6 volt humpack. 4 aas wont last very long with the steering servo your using. Get at least a 1600 mah. A-main sells the pro- tecs pretty cheap and you can get almost an hour of run time out of them........
Old 05-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hdcruzer
Get yourself a 6 volt humpack. 4 aas wont last very long with the steering servo your using. Get at least a 1600 mah. A-main sells the pro- tecs pretty cheap and you can get almost an hour of run time out of them........
hump pack is coming with gas/brake servo... I have been upgrading slowly trying to keep upgrades around $100 per month, I did clutch and tires this month... do you think lack of humppack could have something to do with the fail safe thing that is happening? I switch the batteries out after less than 30 mins, and the car will do it in the first lap when the batteries are fresh...
Old 05-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Prophet

hump pack is coming with gas/brake servo... I have been upgrading slowly trying to keep upgrades around $100 per month, I did clutch and tires this month... do you think lack of humppack could have something to do with the fail safe thing that is happening? I switch the batteries out after less than 30 mins, and the car will do it in the first lap when the batteries are fresh...

first check your wire connections, and make sure there tight and are you running the speckum system ?

because them hard landing will, make the specktum shut off or go to fail safe.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
first check your wire connections, and make sure there tight and are you running the speckum system ?

It will? I have been running Spektrum for the past 2 years....and crash into everything not tied down some races...including hard landings and my radio has never glitched on me like that. DX3R and a DX3 (last season). I don't think it has anything to do with Spektrum hitting fail safe off a hard landing...or no one would use Spektrum!

AAs do trip the failsafe quite often though....so let us know how it goes once you get the hump pack in there. Hopefully you will be good to go.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

yup, the 4 battery pack is coming loose on the landing (the battery is pressing on the spring side and coming loose on the positive side. then the reciever turns back on and looks for bind. about 2 seconds later everything works fine. i was going to suggest a bad hump pack but once i saw it was the 4 aa pack, thats the issue.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Tech Initiate

It is a question of how much juice your servos need versus how much your battery can supply. Some servos, i'm not familiar with yours, can draw a
substantial amount compare to what some battery types/quality can deliver. In these situatins your battery can not meet the power requirements which is when you want your failsafe to trip.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Initiate

I have checked all the connections about 5 times...lol... but nothing is loose, no pins are bent, everything is clean and tightly connected...

not spektrum, its a futaba 2pl and the receiver is futaba r603gf...

I am going try to put the old servo in the car tomorrow and see if that makes any difference cause i am sure the stock servo does not use as much power and i will be able to tell if it is a power issue... i ordered the servo with the car and didn't put it in until i bought the radio a month later (waited till I had radio with epa) so maybe if i try stock servo I can see if its a power issue or if its just the receiver...thanks for the ideas so far
Old 05-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Tech Initiate

can anyone suggest a hump pack that comes with a wall charger? or a hump pack and separate wall charger that work together without mods and fit in the stock box?
Old 05-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Prophet

can anyone suggest a hump pack that comes with a wall charger? or a hump pack and separate wall charger that work together without mods and fit in the stock box?

no get a charger them wall chargers take way too long, just get a receiver pack that will fit your car, usually hump packs will fit a lot of models.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Tech Initiate

no get a charger them wall chargers take way too long, just get a receiver pack that will fit your car, usually hump packs will fit a lot of models.
lol... ok, i thought maybe there was a way around the expense of the charging unit... i am trying to get the buggy "entry level" raceable so its probably something i should have anyway... i live about 5 minutes away from the lost creek track in central pa... and i am slowly trying to get all the stuff i need to be able to get out there and be semi competitive...
Old 05-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Get yourself a good charger from the get go, it's an investment for years to come.

This is a good affordable charger.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-LCD-Display
Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I would get this charger being that you can plug it in or hook it up to a battery.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...C-Peak-Charger

I use this charger every race I go to with NO problem at all. It dont charge Lipo but I dont use Lipo(by choice) and I been using this charger for 2 years. I am not sure what kind of hump pack you would need but this charger is good enough. At the track or home it might take 30 mins to charge. I run 3 classes and this charger is fine for all day use.

That might be your problem with the fail safe issue. Not sure though. I have had a problem like that recently though but it was my hump pack battery neg wire coming apart. Didnt find that out till I replaced my radio tray yesterday. I would also try to get 2 hump packs to have one for a back up cause you will need it.