R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: pennsyl-tucky
Posts: 42
Default help...failsafe after hard landing?

Hi everyone, i am kinda new to nitro... i have 2 gallons through my first nitro buggy (jammin x1x rtr) and most of the problems I have run into so far I have been able to solve by looking through this forum...so I will start off by saying thank you...

but I have run into something I cant find any threads on...

after a hard landing (flat bottoming, casing a jump or even hitting the top of a whoop hard) my radio goes into what I think is fail safe mode for 4-8 seconds, the car returns to idle, i have no control over steering, gas or brakes ....after a few seconds, the wheels snap straight and the gas begins working fine again...it never happens while running on flat ground only while jumping....

I have checked all the connections inside of the car and they are all good, nothing loose or dirty...i have also tried to insulate the inside of my receiver box with a few different materials to keep the receiver from bouncing around...(felt pads, Styrofoam and soft tape stuff from the lhs)

the radio is a futaba 2pl-2.4g and the receiver is a r603gf...ace1013 steering servo, stock ofna gas/brake.. i am also still using the stock battery box with AA's...any help would be appreciated... thanks
deucedeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
kaptain crash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: York PA.
Posts: 1,349
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucedeuce View Post
Hi everyone, i am kinda new to nitro... i have 2 gallons through my first nitro buggy (jammin x1x rtr) and most of the problems I have run into so far I have been able to solve by looking through this forum...so I will start off by saying thank you...

but I have run into something I cant find any threads on...

after a hard landing (flat bottoming, casing a jump or even hitting the top of a whoop hard) my radio goes into what I think is fail safe mode for 4-8 seconds, the car returns to idle, i have no control over steering, gas or brakes ....after a few seconds, the wheels snap straight and the gas begins working fine again...it never happens while running on flat ground only while jumping....

I have checked all the connections inside of the car and they are all good, nothing loose or dirty...i have also tried to insulate the inside of my receiver box with a few different materials to keep the receiver from bouncing around...(felt pads, Styrofoam and soft tape stuff from the lhs)

the radio is a futaba 2pl-2.4g and the receiver is a r603gf...ace1013 steering servo, stock ofna gas/brake.. i am also still using the stock battery box with AA's...any help would be appreciated... thanks
Try by-passing your on-off switchand see if it still does it...just a thought.
__________________
YEAH IM OLD...RUSTY AND SLOW,CRASH A LOT TOO. BUT WITH NITRO I HAVE A BLAST!
kaptain crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23
Default

What type a battery are running? Is it possible your servos are drawing more power than your pack can deliver and causing momentary drop in voltage that trips your failsafe?
aFito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Tech Addict
 
hdcruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pittsburg Ca.
Posts: 732
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain crash View Post
Try by-passing your on-off switchand see if it still does it...just a thought.
Get yourself a 6 volt humpack. 4 aas wont last very long with the steering servo your using. Get at least a 1600 mah. A-main sells the pro- tecs pretty cheap and you can get almost an hour of run time out of them........
__________________
Ofna Late Model-Losi 350-Losi RE 10-Hobbico CS170s
Coldfusion Fuel
Henchman Racing
hdcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: pennsyl-tucky
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdcruzer View Post
Get yourself a 6 volt humpack. 4 aas wont last very long with the steering servo your using. Get at least a 1600 mah. A-main sells the pro- tecs pretty cheap and you can get almost an hour of run time out of them........
hump pack is coming with gas/brake servo... I have been upgrading slowly trying to keep upgrades around $100 per month, I did clutch and tires this month... do you think lack of humppack could have something to do with the fail safe thing that is happening? I switch the batteries out after less than 30 mins, and the car will do it in the first lap when the batteries are fresh...
deucedeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucedeuce View Post
hump pack is coming with gas/brake servo... I have been upgrading slowly trying to keep upgrades around $100 per month, I did clutch and tires this month... do you think lack of humppack could have something to do with the fail safe thing that is happening? I switch the batteries out after less than 30 mins, and the car will do it in the first lap when the batteries are fresh...



first check your wire connections, and make sure there tight and are you running the speckum system ?


because them hard landing will, make the specktum shut off or go to fail safe.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
MotoGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 3,701
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
first check your wire connections, and make sure there tight and are you running the speckum system ?


because them hard landing will, make the specktum shut off or go to fail safe.
It will? I have been running Spektrum for the past 2 years....and crash into everything not tied down some races...including hard landings and my radio has never glitched on me like that. DX3R and a DX3 (last season). I don't think it has anything to do with Spektrum hitting fail safe off a hard landing...or no one would use Spektrum!

AAs do trip the failsafe quite often though....so let us know how it goes once you get the hump pack in there. Hopefully you will be good to go.
__________________
Scott Pouliot
Current Race Rigs: TLR 8ight 3.0/3.0E/3.0T/22/22-4
==============================================
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
Tech Master
 
j_blaze14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 1,693
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

yup, the 4 battery pack is coming loose on the landing (the battery is pressing on the spring side and coming loose on the positive side. then the reciever turns back on and looks for bind. about 2 seconds later everything works fine. i was going to suggest a bad hump pack but once i saw it was the 4 aa pack, thats the issue.
__________________
aGama A8 EVO - Werks B2 - Sidewinder
aGama A8E - TrackStar 150a, 2560kv, 3 and 4 cell
FlySky GT3B, Turnigy HV servos, SKY Lipos
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23
Default

It is a question of how much juice your servos need versus how much your battery can supply. Some servos, i'm not familiar with yours, can draw a
substantial amount compare to what some battery types/quality can deliver. In these situatins your battery can not meet the power requirements which is when you want your failsafe to trip.
aFito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: pennsyl-tucky
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
first check your wire connections, and make sure there tight and are you running the speckum system ?


because them hard landing will, make the specktum shut off or go to fail safe.

I have checked all the connections about 5 times...lol... but nothing is loose, no pins are bent, everything is clean and tightly connected...

not spektrum, its a futaba 2pl and the receiver is futaba r603gf...



I am going try to put the old servo in the car tomorrow and see if that makes any difference cause i am sure the stock servo does not use as much power and i will be able to tell if it is a power issue... i ordered the servo with the car and didn't put it in until i bought the radio a month later (waited till I had radio with epa) so maybe if i try stock servo I can see if its a power issue or if its just the receiver...thanks for the ideas so far
deucedeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: pennsyl-tucky
Posts: 42
Default

can anyone suggest a hump pack that comes with a wall charger? or a hump pack and separate wall charger that work together without mods and fit in the stock box?
deucedeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #12
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucedeuce View Post
can anyone suggest a hump pack that comes with a wall charger? or a hump pack and separate wall charger that work together without mods and fit in the stock box?


no get a charger them wall chargers take way too long, just get a receiver pack that will fit your car, usually hump packs will fit a lot of models.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: pennsyl-tucky
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
no get a charger them wall chargers take way too long, just get a receiver pack that will fit your car, usually hump packs will fit a lot of models.
lol... ok, i thought maybe there was a way around the expense of the charging unit... i am trying to get the buggy "entry level" raceable so its probably something i should have anyway... i live about 5 minutes away from the lost creek track in central pa... and i am slowly trying to get all the stuff i need to be able to get out there and be semi competitive...
deucedeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #14
Tech Master
 
neobart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,413
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Get yourself a good charger from the get go, it's an investment for years to come.

This is a good affordable charger.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-LCD-Display
__________________
Clockwork Racing Engines
neobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #15
Tech Master
 
mikesd1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NE, Pa
Posts: 1,281
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default

I would get this charger being that you can plug it in or hook it up to a battery.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...C-Peak-Charger

I use this charger every race I go to with NO problem at all. It dont charge Lipo but I dont use Lipo(by choice) and I been using this charger for 2 years. I am not sure what kind of hump pack you would need but this charger is good enough. At the track or home it might take 30 mins to charge. I run 3 classes and this charger is fine for all day use.

That might be your problem with the fail safe issue. Not sure though. I have had a problem like that recently though but it was my hump pack battery neg wire coming apart. Didnt find that out till I replaced my radio tray yesterday. I would also try to get 2 hump packs to have one for a back up cause you will need it.
__________________
Mike Diggs
Agama USA buggy
Agama USA Ebuggy - Airtronics M12
Agama A8T Truggy - Hobbyprousa -NemoRacing
"Our perception and attitude toward any situation will determine the outcome"
mikesd1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:16 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net