R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-16-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New engine for Kyosho DBX

Frd up of the tuning problems with the DBX so have decided on buying a new engine for it.

Any suggestions on a .18 size engine that will not have the same issues?

The car is only used for bashing (no racing) so I just want something easier to work with ie will work without hours of tweaking.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default new engine

wat are you fed up w/exactly ? all new engines require a bit of tuning ...

if you do decide .. why go w/ a 0.18 ? why not upgrade to a bigger engine ?
dmakrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I put an OS 18 in mine and it rips pretty good. I barely even tune it, always runs great. It did however take a bit of work to get it to fit.

You need the OS engine mounts for it, made by Kyosho, some height spacers if you are running a pullstart, and since mine is a rotary carb, I had to fab up some new linkage.

I had to cut my crank shorter too, but that is cuz i had the pilot shaft??? type crank. The motor was used with low time on it, so I jus went with it.

These cars are TONS of fun and very durable. I've always had a soft spot for 4wd 1/10, and the center diff makes the car unbeatable.
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

I am fed up with the almost continual battle to get it started and running reliably. All I want to do is get out and bash it without spending hours tweaking it.

The engine recently will not start at all unless heated and when it does it will only run with the trim turned up full at which point it cuts out in about 2-3 secs. Lowering the trim also causes an instant cut out.

I have tried every HSN setting from 2-4 turns (2.5 being stock). Also tried varying the idle screw - anything from 0.3mm to 1.5mm.

I have checked for leaks, the glow plug is fine (tried 2 spares as well), the clutch spring has just been replaced (so thats not dragging the engine).

I had it "tuned" for me but that was only bench tuned (with a dodgy clutch spring) so as soon as that was replaced, the tune was out of the window as was the starting.

I dont believe every engine has these problems (my mate's Revo starts within 5 secs of the rotostart being applied EVERY time). I have also checked up on a few forums and the tuning of Kyosho engines seems to be a major problem with the vast majority of owners swapping the engine out asap.

I am not adverse to a bigger engine (so long as the parts on the buggy dont't start failing because of it) but the main thing is reliability!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman View Post
I put an OS 18 in mine and it rips pretty good. I barely even tune it, always runs great. It did however take a bit of work to get it to fit.

You need the OS engine mounts for it, made by Kyosho, some height spacers if you are running a pullstart, and since mine is a rotary carb, I had to fab up some new linkage.

I had to cut my crank shorter too, but that is cuz i had the pilot shaft??? type crank. The motor was used with low time on it, so I jus went with it.

These cars are TONS of fun and very durable. I've always had a soft spot for 4wd 1/10, and the center diff makes the car unbeatable
I will agree with that - when the car has been running it has been one of the most admired cars at the bash spot (out of 10 cars). It is just so frustrating!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default tuning

yah i kinda agree, tuning is a pain...i think i have had it 3 mths and ran it maybe 12x and had to retune it every time ... i bought a temp reader and that seemed to help. Think of getting a new engine w/only 2 needles (no idle required) as i think that is the most frustrating part of the engine. I adj the idle and then slowly tuned the LSN (1hr at a time) until i could get it to idle .. then i would squeeze the trigger and it would go a few feet and die ...time to tune the HSN !!
dmakrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Whoa now. I think you are messing with the Mid needle, which shouldn't be touched. You should only set your idle gap, followed by your high speed then your low speed. After your idle gap is set you only should touch the high and low needles. When I first started I mistook the Mid for the low and caused ALOT OF TUNING PROBLEMS. See your manual!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Tech Adept

In the DBX thread there is an excellent description of how to install an OS engine, moeman was that your description? Moeman would you please post a picture of your throttle linkage?

I too am thinking seriously of an OS engine next for the tunability issues. My DBX runs great if I am either wide open or idleing, but when you try to be very technical with the throttle it's next to impossible to get a perfect tune. I would love the OS with the 3 needle slide carb, but that version is only available without the pull start and with the longer pilot shaft, so I might settle for the rotary carb for that reason. Is there any other engine that would make a better "daily driver"? Something that you spend more time driving than fiddling with.
MattFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
Tech Addict

The OS 18 is what you want. I"ll try and get some pics up Wed. No that wasn't my description.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:35 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Glad it isnt just me that has issues with the tuning.

I will definately look at the OS.

A bigger engine might be nice (more power etc) but I wouldnt want to give up overall reliability. Aint no point having a great engine if its chewing the clutch up or bending parts.