R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Terminology help for new RC guy (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/398924-terminology-help-new-rc-guy.html)

primeaued 05-15-2010 08:53 PM

Terminology help for new RC guy

I need help. I am trying to buy an off road nitro RC car to learn how to maintain the engine, tune and have fun with. However, I cannot understand the terminology everybody uses.
RTR is ready to run...but all for sales have something missing it appears

What is:
Roller??
Racer vs basher?
Mamba monster?
Ofna?
thx
Ed

Bengsch85 05-15-2010 09:02 PM

Here i can help a little bit...

Roller: generally its a rolling chassis that has no motor or electronics in it so you can put what you want it for those these sometimes called a race roller also

Racer vs. basher: Racers are running their cars on the tracks competing against other drivers and bashers are just running their cars in their backyards or other places besides the track

Ofna: is a company that makes RC vehicles

Im not familiar with Mamba Monster so i cant help you there but good luck getting away from nitros... once you start your hooked for life!!! :sneaky:

ScottyM 05-16-2010 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by primeaued (Post 7410091)
I need help. I am trying to buy an off road nitro RC car to learn how to maintain the engine, tune and have fun with. However, I cannot understand the terminology everybody uses.

What is:
Roller??
Racer vs basher?
Mamba monster?
Ofna?
thx
Ed

A Roller is a built chassis tyipcally with tires and wheels, but does not include Engine or any electronics.

Racer Is someone who goes to a track and competes in an organized compitetion against others. Basher is someone who just runs thier vehicle where ever they can find a place.. Typically A race will take better care of their equipment, because they don't won't to have a failure while racing.. Bashers will usually run until something breaks and fix it as failures happen..

Mamba Monster is an ESC made by Castle Creations

OFNA is an importer/distributor of RC vehicles and components (Hong Nor, Jammin, and Hyper to name a few).. They do not actually manufacture anything.. Which is one reason they have so many different buggies under 1 "brand".

DOMIT 05-17-2010 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by primeaued (Post 7410091)

What is:
Roller??
Racer vs basher?
Mamba monster?
Ofna?
thx
Ed

Actually "RTR" is more like "ready to replace" or "ready to repair." The closest to a real, useable race vehicle is the Losi 8ight RTR, and even it needs a better steering servo.

The other definitions in here are pretty well handled.