Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
what is the best way to stop a nitro engine? >

what is the best way to stop a nitro engine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is the best way to stop a nitro engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
When you plug the exhaust, it creates a lot of back pressure and damages your engine bearings.
It also sucks any dirt that may be in your filter right into your engine..One of the first things I was taught was not to plug the stinger to stop my engine. I use the back of my tuning driver to stop the flywheel. It has that rubber stopper on the end which was made for...YUP!!! plugging the stinger, but it works great with stopping the flywheel also
Old 05-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've plugged the exh for years my engines they last for many gals of fuel. I kick out it hurts the bearing like how are you going to hurt metal bearings Another thing plugged the exh stops the airflow through the engine. I don't have issues with restarting the engine fires right back up.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'd say the best way would be to run it out of fuel...?

No harm done to the engine that way huh?
Old 05-15-2010, 03:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by supamagician
I'd say the best way would be to run it out of fuel...?

No harm done to the engine that way huh?
you will risk running it lean...
Old 05-15-2010, 03:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well thanks for telling me that..

I am new to nitro...the owner of my LHS said no matter what, the best thing to do is always run the car totally out of fuel......
Old 05-15-2010, 03:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by supamagician
Well thanks for telling me that..

I am new to nitro...the owner of my LHS said no matter what, the best thing to do is always run the car totally out of fuel......
he is right in a way, cause any left over fuel will cause corrosion to the engine, it is better that u stop it and then drain any unburned fuel out from the engine the lube it with ARO...
Old 05-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
When you plug the exhaust, it creates a lot of back pressure and damages your engine bearings.

It also sucks any dirt that may be in your filter right into your engine..
Let see now, we have a crankcase full of pressure with no where to go and yet we are still sucking air thru the filter, nope that ain't happening.

Ed M.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Theres no correct way to stop nitro engine

Pinch fuel line makes engine run lean and engine dies. Hard on glow plug and engine

Plugging exh stinger

Jamming something into the flywheel which instant stops the engine. Moving parts come to sudden stop hard on rod and piston.

So where is no best way just your preferred way you want to.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Tech Addict

I think there are 3 correct ways to stop an "idling" engine.

Pinch the fuel line. Why not, everything has a good coating of oil on it. If it races up to max RPM's when you do this you need to look at some other issues. Raving up 5,000 RPM's should not hurt anything.

Pressing finger against flywheel. Why not. You are not bringing it to an abrupt stop, there will be some slippage. If you can jab an object into the flywheel and there is absolutely no slippage, then some additional stress would be added, but its hard to do.

Covering up the stinger. Think I have already covered that. Go for it if that is what you want to do.

How you don't want to stop the engine is by pinching off the rubber boot under the air filter. Don't laugh, I've seen it done. May work for a short time but you will create a leak over time allowing dirt in.

Ed M.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use a screwdriver dedicated to tuning and stopping my engine, with a plastic handle of course. The end of the screwdriver gets all chewed up, but it works great for me.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The best way to stop a runaway is by pinching off the the rubber boot under the air filter...kills the engine instantly and keeps you out of harms way...
Old 05-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well guys. Think about what happens.

Pinching fuel line, runs it lean but like ed said, it has oil why would that matter so much to run 3 secs on oil?

Plugging the stinger, it causes pressure to build on the rear bearing and damages it? Worst way i guess...

Stopping the flywheel, stretches the rod.

Well, lets think of some different engines. Normal piston ringed engines.
Lawn mower, most just close the carb fully.
Weed wacker, pinches the line.
1/1 car, kills the spark plugs.

Now what i gather is that the best way to do this would be to just get a glow plug wrench and loosen it to let the pressure go and let it die. What could that hurt? Only the threads MAYBE on the button because of going in and out so much but still.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pinky2252s
Well guys. Think about what happens.

Pinching fuel line, runs it lean but like ed said, it has oil why would that matter so much to run 3 secs on oil?

Plugging the stinger, it causes pressure to build on the rear bearing and damages it? Worst way i guess...

Stopping the flywheel, stretches the rod.

Well, lets think of some different engines. Normal piston ringed engines.
Lawn mower, most just close the carb fully.
Weed wacker, pinches the line.
1/1 car, kills the spark plugs.

Now what i gather is that the best way to do this would be to just get a glow plug wrench and loosen it to let the pressure go and let it die. What could that hurt? Only the threads MAYBE on the button because of going in and out so much but still.
How can you hurt the rear bearing from pluging the exhaust? I don't understand that one. If it's idling it will stop within one to two seconds. There is no way this is hurting the rear bearing.

I also think loosening the glo plug is probably the worst way to kill an engine. I thought about it, and you would be surprised to see how long your plug will still work as you keep loosening it. I have had a plug on my engine before that was in by maybe one or two threads and it was still running fine. And, anytime you uscrew it there is dirt in the threads and the pressure from the combustion chamber is bound to let some dirt in. It will actually suck air from around the plug. Very bad. you might as well rip the air filter off and plug it. It would do less damage.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I noticed some of you said when you stop the engine put the piston back on bottom dead center (BDC). What is the purpose in this and mainly, how can you tell when its on bottom center by feeling? What does it feel like?

like when I turn my motor over by hand, it feels like it gets tight, then with some force, it will rotate all the way around and feel "loose" rather. Would that be BDC?
Old 05-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9
I noticed some of you said when you stop the engine put the piston back on bottom dead center (BDC). What is the purpose in this and mainly, how can you tell when its on bottom center by feeling? What does it feel like?

like when I turn my motor over by hand, it feels like it gets tight, then with some force, it will rotate all the way around and feel "loose" rather. Would that be BDC?
the purpose of putting ur piston at BDC is that when the engine cools, ur piston won't get stuck... u can find BDC by feel but i personally look thru the exhaust port and mark the flywheel with a marker pen or scratch it with a screwdriver tip to indicate BDC... so, all u need is look at the flywheel then u will know u are at BDC...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.