Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
what is the best way to stop a nitro engine? >

what is the best way to stop a nitro engine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is the best way to stop a nitro engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
When you plug the exhaust, it creates a lot of back pressure and damages your engine bearings.

glad you told me. I usually just let it die on it's own though. The piece of flywheel sounds good to me. No way am i sticking my fingers in there.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

ya i usally just put the end of the screw driver on the fly wheel. For a run away engine have any of you guys ever pulled the fuel line? It takes like 2-3 seconds to shut off but i saw a guy at the track do it to his car. Is that bad for it?
Old 05-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcdude236
ya i usally just put the end of the screw driver on the fly wheel. For a run away engine have any of you guys ever pulled the fuel line? It takes like 2-3 seconds to shut off but i saw a guy at the track do it to his car. Is that bad for it?
same as pinching it. On a runaway you pretty much do the first thing that pops into your mind.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
When you plug the exhaust, it creates a lot of back pressure and damages your engine bearings.
CJ, please explain. Interesting theory on the bearings.

Most of the time when people state you shouldn't stop an engine by plugging the exhaust they feel it floods the engine. Very few have ever taken the time to do that then immediately remove the back plate discovering that this was not the case at all.

If your engine will not shut down from an idle almost immediately when you plug the exhaust you either need to find a better way of plugging the stinger or fix some exhaust leaks.

Ed M.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

he might be talking about presure being applied the the back of the front seal of the front engine bearing. I don't see how it would hurt the rear bearing though.

I have always stop my engine by pluging the stinger. Guess i will have to rethink it.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
same as pinching it. On a runaway you pretty much do the first thing that pops into your mind.
thats so true. I usally just ripp of the 2 clips take off my body shut off the power and close the carb(that is once i get to it) and ive gotten it down to about 5-8 seconds so it works good for me.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i've been told by an experienced engine modeller that stopping an engine by stopping the flywheel causes the rod to stretch.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Addict

I have been told stopping by the flywheel is bad for the rod, I have also been told that plugging the pipe will cause the front bearing to leak. Stopping it by pinching the line will cause it to go lean. I guess I need a magic shut off switch
Old 05-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sluggo_sx8
I have been told stopping by the flywheel is bad for the rod, I have also been told that plugging the pipe will cause the front bearing to leak. Stopping it by pinching the line will cause it to go lean. I guess I need a magic shut off switch

the flywheel thing makes sense. stoping the flywheel while the engine is on it's power stroke does sound like it will stress the rod, even break it.

and pinching the line every now and then is not that bad, but every time would worry me.

i always thought covering the stinger is the best way. Didn't know about the bearings thing. Still, this seems like the best way if i had to do it everytime.

What else is there anyway? I guess you could richen the main needle till it dies? talk about alot of tunning.

This brings up a question i have been wondering. Can you buy the bearing seals separate? Seems like if you could get new seels for your front bearing it would last longer and stop you from getting alot of bad bearings due to leaks.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

No, just leave it running til it runs outta gas, lol

j/k
Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

at idle stoping the engine by the flywheel is the safest/easiest way...

i normaly stop it with my finger, Dont be a puss just jab it dont take much to stop
Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Lets think about covering the stinger ruining bearings because of excess pressure.

Everyone that feels that way does realize that the piston on the down stroke is creating pressure in the crankcase already.

Ed M.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sluggo_sx8
I guess the best way would be to remove the glow plug then
Old 05-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I hope some engine techs will read this thred so they can design some sort of kill switch, I wont miss the round burn tatoos on my fingers!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

if you can get to it, pinching off the airfilter kills an engine instantly...even if its a full blown runaway...cut the air supply and they die instantly..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.