Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hows Nitro doing in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if it is booming that much. Alot of us will eventually break down and switch. I don't want to though
Old 05-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by dreaux
if it is booming that much. Alot of us will eventually break down and switch. I don't want to though

na i woulnt worry about that anytime soon, plus its only at certain tracks and certain groups.

i wont break down anytime soon.

Last edited by tc5 man; 05-14-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jpz_67
I hate to say it but Indy Rc just cant get a race together. It currently is our only indoor nitro track but there is just no turnout. Mikes hobby shop on the other hand is booming. They always have a great electric turnout and everyone seems to be anticipating there outdoor nitro track. Electric is doing VERY well in DF/W right now. Everyone either has a 1/10 buggy, some type of short course vehicle, or an electric 1/8 scale buggy or truck. I never thought i would see this much electric stuff again. I must admit with the technology we have now electric power is very impressive which does make these cars very fun to drive but it just does not do the trick for me like nitro does. Something about the smoke, sounds, grease, etc that makes it feel like real racing. I will be nitro to the grave.

well i can understand about running, nitro indoors and perfering to run electric
but for outdoor racing nitro is way better.

it is weird though that certain states, run 1/10 still and alot of electric, i guess its a economic thing in diffrent states.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorry but I fail to see what's realistic about nitro. Engines that sound like weed whackers, getting only 8 to 10 minutes on a tank of fuel, and "endurance" races of 45 minutes max aren't realistic to me. In my opinion if you just want a realistic racing experience you should be racing a real 1/1 car.

I'm sick of nitro, I'm sick of the annoying sounding engines screaming all day, I'm sick of the drivers screaming in my ear at their pit guy and the marshals, I'm sick of the fumes, (especially doing indoor nitro racing where I literally became physically sick) it's all not needed. It's not an adrenaline rush anymore, it's just irritating.

There's none of that in nitro, though. I used to love all about that about nitro, I started running 1/10 nitro truck and then about 5 years later I started running 1/8 nitro buggy after the 1/10 truck class died off. But this year I converted my 1/8 buggy to electric and it's so much more enjoyable to drive. The powerband is super smooth and it stays consistent, and I don't have to keep on top of an engine all day for the perfect tune. It's easier to maintain, all there really is to do besides cleaning it (which is so much easier because I don't have to take it apart just to clean it) is to redo the shocks and diffs every few races - no clutch shoes, clutch bearings, air filters, glow plugs, fuel line, fuel (obviously), etc. It's not that I'm lazy, I just don't want to spend the money along with the time doing the extra tedious work.

I don't need two servos anymore, so now I have a spare incase the one I'm using fails. No need for a starter box, a fuel bottle, or a glow ignitor either. Even in 1/10 electric you only need 1 or 2 LiPo packs and one motor which will last an extremely long time. (and there's virtually no maintenance with the brushless motors, you don't need to cut the comms or replace brushes every other race day anymore) I couldn't be happier with my electrics and I don't see myself going back to nitro, atleast not any time soon.

The actual racing in electric tends to be better too, I find. Everybody tends to be much closer in qualifying and the mains and it's much more exciting. The mains may only be 10 minutes long at most but I'm perfectly OK with that after running in a few 45 minute mains and countless 30, 20, 15 minute mains in nitro. It isn't about how long I get to run for me, it's about how fun and exciting the actual racing aspect of it is. In the longer nitro mains everybody tends to space out after 10 minutes and alot of the time you're driving by yourself, and it's pretty boring. That's different when the pros are racing, and watching them run is exciting, but the above is how it usually goes in our area. Plus my feet fall asleep, my muscles start to ache, and that's just annoying.

I couldn't be happier with my electrics and I don't see myself going back to nitro, atleast not any time soon. I'm certainly not saying it's wrong to like nitro, and seeing as this is the nitro forum after all more power to you if you like it, but I don't want any of it. And just because the cars make a whirring sound instead of an annoying weed whacker type sound doesn't make it "boring."

As for the topic at hand, the only track in the area is an indoor offroad track. In the summer the turnout tends to taper off but in the fall and winter there's tons of racing. I only run 2wd buggy and 4wd buggy as far as 1/10 electric goes but Short Course Truck is huge at the local track. There's an outdoor track that was recently built which caters towards the nitros but there's no organized racing there yet and as such it's not very popular now either. The guys that want to race nitro in the summer are willing to travel though and at those events the turnout is still very healthy for nitro. 1/8 electric is becoming increasingly popular though, and SCT is booming.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I must admit with the technology we have now electric power is very impressive which does make these cars very fun to drive but it just does not do the trick for me like nitro does. Something about the smoke, sounds, grease, etc that makes it feel like real racing. I will be nitro to the grave.
+1! Especially at night under the lights! There is just nothing like 12 nitro buggys or truggys on the track, in pit lane warming up, all the tension at the starts, all the fevered action in the pits during the race. Just not the same with electrics.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by abramsM1
Sorry but I fail to see what's realistic about nitro. Engines that sound like weed whackers, getting only 8 to 10 minutes on a tank of fuel, and "endurance" races of 45 minutes max aren't realistic to me. In my opinion if you just want a realistic racing experience you should be racing a real 1/1 car.

I'm sick of nitro, I'm sick of the annoying sounding engines screaming all day, I'm sick of the drivers screaming in my ear at their pit guy and the marshals, I'm sick of the fumes, (especially doing indoor nitro racing where I literally became physically sick) it's all not needed. It's not an adrenaline rush anymore, it's just irritating.

There's none of that in nitro, though. I used to love all about that about nitro, I started running 1/10 nitro truck and then about 5 years later I started running 1/8 nitro buggy after the 1/10 truck class died off. But this year I converted my 1/8 buggy to electric and it's so much more enjoyable to drive. The powerband is super smooth and it stays consistent, and I don't have to keep on top of an engine all day for the perfect tune. It's easier to maintain, all there really is to do besides cleaning it (which is so much easier because I don't have to take it apart just to clean it) is to redo the shocks and diffs every few races - no clutch shoes, clutch bearings, air filters, glow plugs, fuel line, fuel (obviously), etc. It's not that I'm lazy, I just don't want to spend the money along with the time doing the extra tedious work.

I don't need two servos anymore, so now I have a spare incase the one I'm using fails. No need for a starter box, a fuel bottle, or a glow ignitor either. Even in 1/10 electric you only need 1 or 2 LiPo packs and one motor which will last an extremely long time. (and there's virtually no maintenance with the brushless motors, you don't need to cut the comms or replace brushes every other race day anymore) I couldn't be happier with my electrics and I don't see myself going back to nitro, atleast not any time soon.

The actual racing in electric tends to be better too, I find. Everybody tends to be much closer in qualifying and the mains and it's much more exciting. The mains may only be 10 minutes long at most but I'm perfectly OK with that after running in a few 45 minute mains and countless 30, 20, 15 minute mains in nitro. It isn't about how long I get to run for me, it's about how fun and exciting the actual racing aspect of it is. In the longer nitro mains everybody tends to space out after 10 minutes and alot of the time you're driving by yourself, and it's pretty boring. That's different when the pros are racing, and watching them run is exciting, but the above is how it usually goes in our area. Plus my feet fall asleep, my muscles start to ache, and that's just annoying.

I couldn't be happier with my electrics and I don't see myself going back to nitro, atleast not any time soon. I'm certainly not saying it's wrong to like nitro, and seeing as this is the nitro forum after all more power to you if you like it, but I don't want any of it. And just because the cars make a whirring sound instead of an annoying weed whacker type sound doesn't make it "boring."

As for the topic at hand, the only track in the area is an indoor offroad track. In the summer the turnout tends to taper off but in the fall and winter there's tons of racing. I only run 2wd buggy and 4wd buggy as far as 1/10 electric goes but Short Course Truck is huge at the local track. There's an outdoor track that was recently built which caters towards the nitros but there's no organized racing there yet and as such it's not very popular now either. The guys that want to race nitro in the summer are willing to travel though and at those events the turnout is still very healthy for nitro. 1/8 electric is becoming increasingly popular though, and SCT is booming.

um and electric is more realistic ? , yea maybe in certain places electrics are more popular, but not where i live at atleast.

i used to race nothing but electric, and i just dont like the instant torque like that to me it doest feel like you have control it. you dont need all that power anyways to race.

i respect your opinion about electric racing being more entertaing , but to me its boring to watch . i used race nothing but electric too.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sugs
+1! Especially at night under the lights! There is just nothing like 12 nitro buggys or truggys on the track, in pit lane warming up, all the tension at the starts, all the fevered action in the pits during the race. Just not the same with electrics.

+++2 on that
Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=abramsM1;7405196]Sorry but I fail to see what's realistic about nitro. Engines that sound like weed whackers, getting only 8 to 10 minutes on a tank of fuel, and "endurance" races of 45 minutes max aren't realistic to me. In my opinion if you just want a realistic racing experience you should be racing a real 1/1 car.

Nice rant. And its guys like you that we thank for not running nitro. If you dont appreciate nitro then leave it alone.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The fate of nitro really depends on the personal preferences of the RC driver. If nitro dies out, it's not the electric technology's fault or if electric dies out, it's not the nitro technology's fault.

A lot of us live in areas where we are "spoiled" in that we have many options when it comes to where or what to race. But unfortunately, there are those who live in areas where rc is not quite as alive and well and one technology may thrive over the other just because the small amount of population prefer one technology over the other (electric over nitro, or vice versa).

Here, in Southern California, RC has a good following, whether it be nitro or electric. I just don't see nitro going away at all or any time soon in this area. Most who run 1/8 electric are people who were never into nitro any way. These guys are 1/10 drivers who hopped on the 1/8 scene due to the 1/8 electric technology. Those nitro guys who started to run 1/8E seems to be doing that just as an "extra thing", but their main classes are still 1/8 nitro.

Now, there are people like myself and abramsM1, who ran nitro and started to run electric and said well... I really like electric THAT much better so I'm not going to run nitro as much or at all... Well, people like myself are going to be scarce. People who run nitro just absolutely love all aspects of nitro period. Because of that, nitro will never go away.

If nitro is dying in you area then maybe RC isn't thriving all that well in your area anyway so you are kinda of... well.. SOL. It just so happens that the very small population who run rc in your area has preferred one technology over the other and that's that. The market will cater to the demand and if there are just that many electric drivers over nitro then the tracks will have to cater to that.

Let's face it, maintaining electric vehicles is a bit easier. I don't think tuning electrics is easier though. With all the features that ESC's and all other things you have to think about such as motor/battery combos, gearing, etc. electric can be just as hard to grasp as nitro (for some, even harder). The difference is, once you have a good setup with electric, it'll always run the same way wherever you go and no matter what the weather is. There really isn't a need to re-tune. Just flip the switch and go.

So yea, at the end of the day, it's all about the individual. So yea, you can be status quo OR be the change you want to see happen.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man

i used to race nothing but electric, and i just dont like the instant torque like that to me it doest feel like you have control it. you dont need all that power anyways to race.
Instant torque doesn't make things easier. That makes racing very competitive, since everyone has a very consistent powerband. In addition, you still have to control that power.

Personally I prefer nitro. But if everyone goes electric, I guess I will as well. After all, these are toy cars.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

From what I have seen and witnessed at my local track an electric 1/8 scale is easier to wheel for some than a nitro car. Due to the instant torque an electric buggy creates one does not have to carry as much corner speed or use as much throttle to clear some of the more challenging or trickier jumps. You can just square up and blip the throttle on an electric car. I know several racers who are more competitive with there electric vs there nitro buggy.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 071crazy
Instant torque doesn't make things easier. That makes racing very competitive, since everyone has a very consistent powerband. In addition, you still have to control that power.

Personally I prefer nitro. But if everyone goes electric, I guess I will as well. After all, these are toy cars.
Exactly. Instant torque is detrimental when the drivers can't control it. However, it is a benefit to the drivers who CAN control it and there are many of those drivers. I agree that you don't need THAT much power to race, but imagine if you have that much power on tap and you can actually control it well.

From what I have seen and witnessed at my local track an electric 1/8 scale is easier to wheel for some than a nitro car. Due to the instant torque an electric buggy creates one does not have to carry as much corner speed or use as much throttle to clear some of the more challenging or trickier jumps. You can just square up and blip the throttle on an electric car. I know several racers who are more competitive with there electric vs there nitro buggy.
It's definitely not "easier". The extra torque actually makes it more challenging and less forgiving. Those drivers just make it seem "easier" because they can control the electric car just as well as their nitro car. With the extra power on tap, they can use it where they need to. So I guess I'd say it's not "easier" to drive but "easier" to go faster IF and only IF you can control the power well.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by unsp0ken
Exactly. Instant torque is detrimental when the drivers can't control it. However, it is a benefit to the drivers who CAN control it and there are many of those drivers. I agree that you don't need THAT much power to race, but imagine if you have that much power on tap and you can actually control it well.

+1.

In addition, a class that's easier to drive makes for a more competitive class. For example, stock truck. 1 mistake and you're done.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Tech Prophet

are you sure about that , from a former electric only driver i find that the electric are harder , to drive dued to all that torque. i think the a nitro is easier to drive since its not as much torque .

il be honest with you im, better at driving nitro than electric im not talking about a stock motor im talking about a high powerd brushless motor.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nitro is going strong in Atlanta area, though there are several e-buggys and truggys....they have their own set of problems, seen countless ESCs fried, and other probs..heavy
To a motorhead like me (I have drag raced and raced Dirt Bikes most of my life) electric is boring. I have raced my kids Slash 4x4s, and although they are pretty cool, are a 1 on the excitement scale vs Nitro.

Nothing like the sound and smoke of nitro, the 40,000 rpms of nitro power, screaming like a banshee, the ability to run 1 hour+ races with only pitting (like full size racecars), and the overall effect of all that has me hooked into R/C racing. I have had too many injuries to continue riding/racing dirt bikes and this is so similar, its fun and SAFE while also being way less expensive hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.