Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hows Nitro doing in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Hows Nitro doing in your area?

In my area Nitro racing is getting thrown on the back burner. Electric racing seems to be booming with SC racing and also the 1/8th electric is doing good.
The local facility I have here is very nice and offers and great indoor clay track for the winter and now has a sweet outdoor track.. The problem is that they dont allow any Nitro racing during any of the regular week or weekend programs on either tracks.. I can see not allowing it indoors. There is not alot of us gassers left in my area and some have both electric and nitro and might jump at the thought of bringing both to the track on the same day. Instead they are forced to choose between the two.. Most guys if not all choose to run with the masses and run electric... I was told that we might be able to put together a nitro show on sundays and that would be nice but I cant see the guys coming back to the track the next day to run in a small field of cars... If they would let Nitro run with everyone else (electric) we might have a chance to fill a heat or two. I just dont understand why the track cant run a heat or two when everyone is there..Times are tuff here in MI and we are all in the hobby together and I wish we could run together to keep some #'s alive for us nitro's out here... It is very frustraiting to see Nitro die a slow death in my area..
Old 05-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nitro is going strong here in my area. So is the SC scene and the 1/8 electric is still in it infancy from what I can tell. Sorry to hear about the nitro dying up where you are at.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Prophet

i whould have to say the reason, why nitro is dying in your area michigan is because how your state is doing.

in pa nj nitro is still the king at the, offroad tracks the only electric really is the sc.

yea i whould talk to your track and, see if you can run the nitros with the electrics
my track does that.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

Same here ... electric SCT and CORR are becoming the largest class at our track. Nitro has fallen way back. As a matter of fact, I have been the only "regular" Nitro guy at our races since the first of the year. We do allow Nitro and electric to run together so, I have been competing with electric 1/8th scale.

I am hoping that this is just a "flash in the pan" thing and that Nitro will make a come back at the local level.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

nitro is alive and strong here..hobbyshops stock plenty of the smelly stuff and everyone i know and race with have nitro burning buggies, truggies and also electric. No signs of it leaving the area anytime soon
Old 05-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have been on them for quite some time now knowing the outdoor season was coming and the " NO NITRO" ruling was just made... The electric guys have voiced alot about the noise, smell, and rutting up the track but I dont see the latter being valid since they run 1/8th electric and those seem to be just as or more violent to a track than nitro is.. I can see the split if we had great #'s and made the day longer but comon we are talking like maybe 8-12 cars are all thats left...

Last edited by The Chad Man; 05-13-2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

I wont give up my nitro and the real racing aspect that comes with racing nitro by putting a electric conversion in my buggy. I guess I will have to travel more out of state to race Nitro with real racers... I do have a nice trip on the books in July. I'm heading down to St. lou for the O.S., futaba shootout
I'm hoping my driving does not suffer to bad due the lack of nitro in my area. I can practice at said track but that is split also and not many show up for that. Wonder why?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Its pretty much dead at my track in NY. We had about 3, or 4 guys still running nitro up until last week when all but one got in on a group buy to go to electric. That leaves 1 guy running nitro & I'm pretty sure he wants to switch, but just dropped a new $400 engine in his truck at the beginning of the outdoor season, so he is waiting on $$$.

I know I'm in a nitro forum, so I'll probably be burned at the stake for this but, here is the problem as I see it:
If you dont have enough guys to split up nitro & electric classes, and run them together the electric's have a huge advantage & the nitro guys get frustrated!

This was proven when it became a big debate at my track & about 10 of us took back to back laps with a nitro 2.0 & an RC8T CE w/ Tekno conversion. We found that 9 ot of 10 of us were averaging about 1 -2 seconds quicker with electric!

Then you throw in the idea of no tuning, no pit man & the ability to make a 15 -20 minute main w/o a pit (our track still has mandatory pits for elec), and the avantages become overwhelming!

Dont get me wrong, I love nitro & would like to run both, I just dont think you can fairly run them together with equally talented drivers!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

as far as pure racing is concerned, no one can really beleive electric is better or more exciting. It's like comparing a drag race with hybird cars. It's borring. No sound, no tunning, no engine work. It seems fake to me.

I know the biggest reason people go electric is because of the frustration of learing how to tune a engine and clutch. It's also expensive to keep up a nitro buggy. Just a clutch alone has alot of cost tied to it. Not to mention engines, engine bearings/rods, fuel, glo plugs, ignitors, starter box, fuel tank etc. For this reason it makes some sense. But no one can actually believe electric is better or more exciting to race. i have to admit though, 180 bucks for an aluminum pipe is ridiculous.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

As far as offroad Electric is dying a slow death with only SC keeping it alive. Nitro is huge. Onroad we as whole are in small numbers but we are all electric and have been for many years. I am in Florida by the way.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by prdmetalworks
Its pretty much dead at my track in NY. We had about 3, or 4 guys still running nitro up until last week when all but one got in on a group buy to go to electric. That leaves 1 guy running nitro & I'm pretty sure he wants to switch, but just dropped a new $400 engine in his truck at the beginning of the outdoor season, so he is waiting on $$$.

I know I'm in a nitro forum, so I'll probably be burned at the stake for this but, here is the problem as I see it:
If you dont have enough guys to split up nitro & electric classes, and run them together the electric's have a huge advantage & the nitro guys get frustrated!

This was proven when it became a big debate at my track & about 10 of us took back to back laps with a nitro 2.0 & an RC8T CE w/ Tekno conversion. We found that 9 ot of 10 of us were averaging about 1 -2 seconds quicker with electric!
I agree with you over the fact that its hard to run both sides of the fence at the same time in the same race.. The problem at my track is not that but more so that they wont allow nitro even if we have enough to fill our own race.. The owner is a nice guy and even said he wishes more guys ran nitro but I think his separation on race day has put a nail in nitro's coffin for my area...
Then you throw in the idea of no tuning, no pit man & the ability to make a 15 -20 minute main w/o a pit (our track still has mandatory pits for elec), and the avantages become overwhelming!

Dont get me wrong, I love nitro & would like to run both, I just dont think you can fairly run them together with equally talented drivers!
I do agree with you that its hard to race electric and nitro at the same time in the same race.. The problem is that we dont even have that option with the ruling at my track.. Even if we had enough nitro's alone to fill a race they wont let us. The separation of race days for nitro and electric has just killed the nitro in my area.. Heck even the owner and he is a nice guy said he wished more guys ran nitro but his ruling is not helping the problem.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

The nitro racers here will not let EP take over........ And everyone wants to be around the nitro guys, so when they switch and run nitro for the summer, thats where everyone go.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I run nitro truggy and have always had 8+ people in the class. Nitro buggy is still big too here. Electric buggy is big and electric truggy is small. If nitro dies in my area I will be hard pressed to race electric. BORRRRRRRRRRRINGGGGGGGGGGG!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

man nitro is thriving in the pa area lots of huge tracks that are worlds quality.. dont c nitro dying around here anytime soon. its actually growing between all the tracks and motorama its bringing in more and more people.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jbright33
man nitro is thriving in the pa area lots of huge tracks that are worlds quality.. dont c nitro dying around here anytime soon. its actually growing between all the tracks and motorama its bringing in more and more people.
Must be nice! Wish it was like that here.... It was a year ago but not now... Only noise you hear now at the track is the SC bodys rattle rattle or the 1/8 electrics clicking or clacking.. Sucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.