R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #106
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
Nitro is going strong in Atlanta area, though there are several e-buggys and truggys....they have their own set of problems, seen countless ESCs fried, and other probs..heavy
To a motorhead like me (I have drag raced and raced Dirt Bikes most of my life) electric is boring. I have raced my kids Slash 4x4s, and although they are pretty cool, are a 1 on the excitement scale vs Nitro.

Nothing like the sound and smoke of nitro, the 40,000 rpms of nitro power, screaming like a banshee, the ability to run 1 hour+ races with only pitting (like full size racecars), and the overall effect of all that has me hooked into R/C racing. I have had too many injuries to continue riding/racing dirt bikes and this is so similar, its fun and SAFE while also being way less expensive hobby.

+1 on that man smelling that nitro in the morning wakes me up.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
are you sure about that , from a former electric only driver i find that the electric are harder , to drive dued to all that torque. i think the a nitro is easier to drive since its not as much torque .

il be honest with you im, better at driving nitro than electric im not talking about a stock motor im talking about a high powerd brushless motor.
I based my post off of what I have seen and experienced myself. There are quite a few racers here in DF/W and a lot of them are good guys and my pals. That being said they always let me wheel there buggies anytime so I get the chance to take something different for a spin quite often. I have driven several 1/8 scale electric buggies from caster, losi, mugen, xray, associated, etc. They are a blast to drive due to all that blistering torque, I mean instant! I found they were pretty easy to drive if you are smooth on the throttle. Of course if you are just full pin your going to blaze the tires but I dont drive that way. Yes I can still turn faster laps in my nitro buggy because its dialed in for me but I feel I could be just as competitive with an electric 1/8.
At my local track we will mix the electric and nitro buggies together at a club race. And racing against the same person but the difference being an electric buggy that particular person is faster than normal. Now this is not always the case but I do see it quite often. I understand your points and not trying to argue, these are just some of my observations and experiences. They way things are going I am probably going to end up with another electric buggy of some sort myself.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default IMO

If nitro dies, I will just quit the hobby because electric is Lame to me and the SC thing is just about the most boring thing in the world to me. I guess every one has there thing, but all I want to do is run on the track and jump up and down on the junk SC cars I have been racing 1/8 nitro since the 90's and it is always there when the other classes die.
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #109
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Nitro is ruling here in Arizona. We have 8 tracks we can race on, and opening in a month or two is a new complex that has 4 off road tracks. 10/8/5 scale off road as well as a novice off road track that is easier for the beginners. Once its all done we should be able to race 4-5 days a week. The only thing we dont have is the tracks dont really work together and schedule different race days. Most of them are Either Wednesday nights, Friday nights, or Saturdays. It would be nice if they had alternate racing schedules instead of all running on the same days, but the hobby itself is going strong..4 new hobby shops just opened here as well..If you want Off road racing Arizona is the place to be
yes more track are opening AND turnouts are crappier then ever.

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #110
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's pretty much balanced for us. Electric buggys are starting to get more abundant. The slash class is HUGE......but nitro buggy is still a bit bigger I have to say, I've had ALL electric until recently...I got an OFNA Ultra LX Comp. I thought about converting it, but I LOOOVE nitro too much. It kinda sucks tho because people always make fun of me and nag at me because my buggy is old. Every time I walk into my LHS, the guy trys to sell me a Mugen, XRAY, or Losi...no matter how many times I tell him, he doesn't understand that I don't have that kind of money!!!!

With that said, I'm keeping my nitro.....and possibly getting in on the electric SC fun too!!!
supamagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:37 AM   #111
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
yes more track are opening AND turnouts are crappier then ever.
Thats exactly what happend in my area just before 1/8 dropped threw the floor.
The Chad Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #112
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

quick background on the track situation in my area: legendary 10th scale track and recently adapted to 8th scale 20 min away and 3 all out 1/8 tracks within 45min-1 hour away...

i started out racing around '90, and have always been die-hard electric as a result. i had nitros here and there to "bash" with, but my heart was always with the electrics, whether it be 2wd buggy, 2wd truck, SC, 1/8th, etc.

last year i built an rc8e to continue my electric tradition. i lost my job and sold all my stuff. over the winter/spring, i got enough scratch to pick up a nitro losi 2.0

i still can't believe i'm about to type this, but here it goes. i am now unloading my B4 because all i want to race is the nitro 8 the electric 8s just aren't there yet in my mind. batts and motors are great, but speedos are waaaay behind still. i think i'll give it some time/development before i build another 8e.

that aside, the 8e seems to be dying around here. they had a slow start, and then seem to be slowly trickling off. nitro is still the biggest class, and it's understandable - i've raced mx for years, and now that has ended. nitro 1/8 is the closest thing i can get to mx

another surprisingly VERY fun class i'm just joining is the stock spec class - only run what comes stock on any SC truck. they just don't break. for example, if i land crooked because the face of the jump changed from the lap before, i dont have to worry about pulling a ball stud out or snapping ball ends off the turnbuckles. these trucks just keep going, and its a challenge to win!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #113
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Here you go, problem solved.

http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...p?storyid=8193
unsp0ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #114
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the electric runs like complete crap.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #115
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I like the BL cars, but they are boring.... I also hate all the smacktalk on the forums by the electric guys, makes me gag listening to them...... To me Nitro is where its at 110%....If all there was was electric RC's I wouldn't be into RC.....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #116
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chad Man View Post
Thats exactly what happend in my area just before 1/8 dropped threw the floor.
if there were enough racers to fill all the tracks that would be different, but we would be talking to have the nitro challenge type turn out spread across all tracks. but when more tracks starting popping up, turn outs started to fall. Im amazed when i go to a track and they say we have X amount on entrys, we cant believe it this is huge, and i look back 2 years ago and that X amount of entrys was a small night of racing. I just picked up a hpi blitz so i can keep racing as much as i want to, electric really only has 1 good track where i live and electric is doing way better then nitro. i use to race nitro every weekend, sometimes twice a week. but i cant do that anymore because of turn out. it sucks,

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
Old 05-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #117
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsp0ken View Post

lol a lot if things can go wrong with that thing.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #118
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpz_67 View Post
I based my post off of what I have seen and experienced myself. There are quite a few racers here in DF/W and a lot of them are good guys and my pals. That being said they always let me wheel there buggies anytime so I get the chance to take something different for a spin quite often. I have driven several 1/8 scale electric buggies from caster, losi, mugen, xray, associated, etc. They are a blast to drive due to all that blistering torque, I mean instant! I found they were pretty easy to drive if you are smooth on the throttle. Of course if you are just full pin your going to blaze the tires but I dont drive that way. Yes I can still turn faster laps in my nitro buggy because its dialed in for me but I feel I could be just as competitive with an electric 1/8.
At my local track we will mix the electric and nitro buggies together at a club race. And racing against the same person but the difference being an electric buggy that particular person is faster than normal. Now this is not always the case but I do see it quite often. I understand your points and not trying to argue, these are just some of my observations and experiences. They way things are going I am probably going to end up with another electric buggy of some sort myself.

i get what you saying i just dont like that, blast of torque instantly espailly when im racing its nothing new electrics, always had more, torque but you can get a nitro engine pretty torquey too with the clutch setup etc which is plently if you ask me. and im somethat of a smooth driver also
Old 05-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #119
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie View Post
If nitro dies, I will just quit the hobby because electric is Lame to me and the SC thing is just about the most boring thing in the world to me. I guess every one has there thing, but all I want to do is run on the track and jump up and down on the junk SC cars I have been racing 1/8 nitro since the 90's and it is always there when the other classes die.

sc arent that bad to me it, makes me more relexed and makes you dive better somewhat. but the 2wd slash handle like crap though lol.

its really weird though when your, running nitro 1/8 and the sc class also cause when your driving the, 2wd your driving like you are driving a 4wd pushing it lol.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #120
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
sc arent that bad to me it, makes me more relexed and makes you dive better somewhat. but the 2wd slash handle like crap though lol.

its really weird though when your, running nitro 1/8 and the sc class also cause when your driving the, 2wd your driving like you are driving a 4wd pushing it lol.
you just have to set the slash up. my slash was dialed. sucks i sold it but o well, got a blitz now