R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
could you give an example? Like a name? rc 10 or something? I just want to go look at one so i can see what is getting so popular.

Bottom line from what i have seen though. Is people get frustrated because they don't KNOW HOW TO TUNE! And they fry a 300$ motor after a gallon get pi$$ed and say to hell with it! Saw that happen to a guy last week. I have never seen a clutch set up so bad in my life. Had about a inch of play, the springs wore down to needles, no washers behind the shoes or the flywheel. Bearings blown out on the clutch AND ENGINE!

Some people just don't have the passion for it. That is what it takes to be succesfull in nitro. You have to want it bad enough to be good at it and practice! It's hard to get everything right, it's not easy. You have to actually KNOW what you are doing. You are basically a MECHANIC! And when your hard work is running like a punishing, bruising, well oiled machine, that is a payoff all by itself. it's the best feeling in the world! I took my lumps and i love it.

It only took 2 or 3 300$ motors for me
Dreaux, you are a big time talker on the forums but i have yet to see you at any track arround louisiana.
People arent only turned off on nitro because they dont know how to tune. I took a 2 year break from nitro to run 8th scale ele. Not because i cant tune. It was because i was tired of the maintance, cleaning and needing to find someone else that i trusted messing with my stuff in the pits. Not to mention the cost of up keep on the nitro cars.
micrors4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #77
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In our area, Electric is picking up now. The track is attracting some new people with SC, which is a good thing as far as bringing in new racers. The track is focusing more on the electrics, having electric only races etc. Some have changed to electrics, but the Nitro's are not gone, most are just going to other tracks that focus more on Nitro. So some see it as electric is taking over in our area, but the Nitro's are just going to other tracks that focus on Nitro. The electric crowd we have likes the club racing style, and the Nitro guys seem to like the bigger more competition based programs. Don't get me wrong, some of the electric guys are very fast and competitive, but all the SC classes are guys mostly having fun. You just do not see 300-400 entry races that are strictly E classes in offroad is all I mean like Nitro does. The E buggies and Trucks look very fast, but I just can't get into it, I just like the gas cars. The track is getting allot of entries, so that is all that matters and I am glad to see more new people every weekend.

I think it is hard to have all the classes and make everyone happy. Big huge Nitro tracks that we like, just do not work well for the E classes, so it is difficult for tracks to make everyone happy. So they have to run the classes the locals like and will support the most. We always have had allot of E racers that ran indoor, but they are getting outdoors now due to the E buggies and Trucks and the SC classes. Our track does a good job at trying to make eveyone happy, so it is working out.

We have allot of BIG 2-3 day weekend races in our region (southern states) that most of us gas racers like anyway, and I like traveling to those races. Local tracks have to run what the locals like and the trend is E right now. Either way you look at it, we are gaining more racers again due to SC so that is a good thing.
Kalgard Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4guy View Post
Dreaux, you are a big time talker on the forums but i have yet to see you at any track arround louisiana.
People arent only turned off on nitro because they dont know how to tune. I took a 2 year break from nitro to run 8th scale ele. Not because i cant tune. It was because i was tired of the maintance, cleaning and needing to find someone else that i trusted messing with my stuff in the pits. Not to mention the cost of up keep on the nitro cars.
Oh, i am very sorry that i don't make it a point to go to watson. Nevermind that it is not even running right now or the past 6 weeks. I have been going to springfield. Last race was 2 weeks ago and i got second place and won 20$

fact is micro, i work 6 sometimes 7 days a week. The tracks are very far from where i live and i am getting married in three weeks. When i go to the track it's a BIG DEAL for me because i don't get to go very often. I wish i could be at the track 2 or 3 times a week but i just can't. 2 times a moth is my average lately.

And yes, i am sitting home tired on the internet. And why on earth do you care how much of a talker i am on the forums? What does that have to do with anything? Is there a race quota i have to meet to make some of you happy? I do the best i can. And i am mad that i cannot go more. I am off sunday and the new track is supposed to be open, but at the same time my godson is playing in a show for his school band and he want's me to be there. Priorities. But i am going to fight like hell to make it if it won't start a fight with my fiance because i have alot to do sunday.

and i totally understand about the maintenence. That turns me off alot too. Actually the maintenence on the who thing is very tidious at times and it is easy to be turned off. But, i have seen several people sell all of their nitro stuff because they could not get it running right.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #79
Tech Elite

Quote:
Oh, i am very sorry that i don't make it a point to go to watson. Nevermind that it is not even running right now or the past 6 weeks. I have been going to springfield. Last race was 2 weeks ago and i got second place and won 20$

fact is micro, i work 6 sometimes 7 days a week. The tracks are very far from where i live and i am getting married in three weeks. When i go to the track it's a BIG DEAL for me because i don't get to go very often. I wish i could be at the track 2 or 3 times a week but i just can't. 2 times a moth is my average lately.

And yes, i am sitting home tired on the internet. And why on earth do you care how much of a talker i am on the forums? What does that have to do with anything? Is there a race quota i have to meet to make some of you happy? I do the best i can. And i am mad that i cannot go more. I am off sunday and the new track is supposed to be open, but at the same time my godson is playing in a show for his school band and he want's me to be there. Priorities. But i am going to fight like hell to make it if it won't start a fight with my fiance because i have alot to do sunday.

and i totally understand about the maintenence. That turns me off alot too. Actually the maintenence on the who thing is very tidious at times and it is easy to be turned off. But, i have seen several people sell all of their nitro stuff because they could not get it running right.
you totally took that post the wrong way. What i meant by the post was you have been around for maybe a year. Learned threw the tuning issues yourself. Then made a general assumption on why people change from nitro to electric.Down by us the electric class is taking off big time. Both buggy and truggy with new guys almost every week.
I have been running ele 8th and corr truck only for the past year and a half 2 years or so.
About to start running nitro buggy again for the bigger races to have another class to pass time. But for the club racing it will be the ele 8th only.We will meet up at a track one day i can assure you that as i'm normally racing somewhere each weekend.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #80
Tech Elite

do you know if the track in watson will be ready by sunday?

Will he still have a nitro class still? And i apologize, i did take that the wrong way. I guess a part of me is always a little irritated if not mad that i cannot go to the track more.

I have all nitro equipment. In springield electric is big as well. I cannot afford to switch over. I hope there is still room for me.

thanks man.

btw, i won't even know if you are there because i totally forgot what you look like.

Mugen
Old 05-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Quote:
do you know if the track in watson will be ready by sunday?

Will he still have a nitro class still? And i apologize, i did take that the wrong way. I guess a part of me is always a little irritated if not mad that i cannot go to the track more.

I have all nitro equipment. In springield electric is big as well. I cannot afford to switch over. I hope there is still room for me.

thanks man.

btw, i won't even know if you are there because i totally forgot what you look like.
im going over there tommorrow. I will find out. Im not sure if they are going to be racing on the 8th scale track yet. The reason the ele class seems big is we call and plan where we are all going to go. The nitro guys are fighting over 4 different tracks since everyone wants to now race sat nights only.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #82
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Here in Pennsylvania I attempted to start the season running electric. That ended quick, I just pulled all of my electric gear and dropped some nitro motors back in. Yup, a little more work but I love the smell of nitro. As far as speed is concerned, I think whatever you are more comfortable driving will allow you to go faster. My 8ight T-e 2.0 with a Tekin 1550 on 5S lipo was sick though!
First Turn Racing www.FirstTurnRacing.com
TheFcuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #83
Tech Elite

i called yesterday and they said they hoped it would be don't by sunday. i wish you knew how hard it is for me to make it to watson. I'll put it this way. I had to settle for traxxas fuel because byrons was in watson

you are right about talking alot on the forums. For better or worse i have made a reputation for myself. When i tell everyone who i am on here i get some interesting responses I am not the best driver (much better then i used to be), but i do like to talk alot. When football season starts i might go 3 months without being on here.

TTYL!

Mugen
Old 05-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #84
Tech Elite

Quote:
i called yesterday and they said they hoped it would be don't by sunday. i wish you knew how hard it is for me to make it to watson. I'll put it this way. I had to settle for traxxas fuel because byrons was in watson

you are right about talking alot on the forums. For better or worse i have made a reputation for myself. When i tell everyone who i am on here i get some interesting responses I am not the best driver (much better then i used to be), but i do like to talk alot. When football season starts i might go 3 months without being on here.
TTYL!
I dont know about not getting on here, But i will be at all the saints home games again this season.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #85
Tech Elite

what is usually the biggest class in worlds and nationals?

Mugen
Old 05-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default E harmony .com

Quote:
what is usually the biggest class in worlds and nationals?
I with you man. E buggies are cool, but I raced rc10's for years, and I don't miss having to buy batteries and motors. Nitro is the best, and e stuff is so 1980's to me. to each is own, but I think they're just lazy......
Old 05-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #87
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
I with you man. E buggies are cool, but I raced rc10's for years, and I don't miss having to buy batteries and motors. Nitro is the best, and e stuff is so 1980's to me. to each is own, but I think they're just lazy......

no kidding man lol, i dont agree about, a lot of nitro guys are just going to big events i see prently of nitros, just run at club races point racing etc.

as for the maintance i dont mind, it it gives me something to do as for the cost running nitro come on it isnt that bad really. i mean image raceing sprit cars or dragters and paying , for the fuel and everything else.

but from what im hearing in certain, states that theres only electrics i can see that as a bad thing because guys, who run nitro go to diffrent tracks that to me hould hurt the turnouts.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:25 AM   #88
Tech Apprentice

I started this thread yesterday around noon and I must say it took off rather quickly.. I started this thread to see how nitro was doing around the states and we had alot of guys from all over post some interesting stuff...Some states like mine its dropping off like the grand canyon, yet other states its taking off and growing larger... I can say I do remember in my area the class took off like wildfire and we had buggys and truggys everywere and boom we got tracks poping up all over the place and then something happend, maybe the stock market,maybe that half of MI is out of work,or maybe that winter hit and for once people in my area had an indoor track and that just made electric take off. I have calmed down quite a bit and said to myself many times "Its thier track" and if they wanna cater to the electrics more well then its thier right... I have been working on a summer long schedule that is basicly going to have me at a different track every week. Not so close to home as I would like and not going to spend the summer with my track friends and that sucks but hey I'm a nitro guy and wanna race...... Thanks alot guys for all your feedback..... Long live NITRO!!!!
The Chad Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #89
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
who has marshaled for a EP race and forgot to flip someone over because they are sooo quiet
LOL, something similar happened to me during the RC Pro series. I was marshalling during the controlled practice and a buggy landed on its lid. We dont see a whole lot of electrics at our track so I assumed it flamed out and flipped it over and put it out of the track lane. As soon as I set it down the dam thing took off! Kind of scared me for a second.

SC are getting big here but out 1/10 scale racing is still much bigger than 1/8. I can only remember 1 1/8 electric buggy last year and now I think there are about 5. So I guess they are growing but I haven made any of the club races yet so we will see if those race choose to race their electrics or nitro’s because I know some of them have both.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #90
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopdaloop View Post
Three new tracks that are very nice have opened up in Az in the past 6 months or so.. Canyon Vista RC, Sun Lakes and the newest Fear Farm. I haven't seen too many electric buggies/truggies but SC is huge here.. but most of the guys still race 1/8 buggy/truggy seriously, while the SC is more of a race to have fun and relax..

Anyone from Texas? I'm at school in AZ but will be going home to Dallas soon, how is Indy RC and Mikes Hobby doing??
I hate to say it but Indy Rc just cant get a race together. It currently is our only indoor nitro track but there is just no turnout. Mikes hobby shop on the other hand is booming. They always have a great electric turnout and everyone seems to be anticipating there outdoor nitro track. Electric is doing VERY well in DF/W right now. Everyone either has a 1/10 buggy, some type of short course vehicle, or an electric 1/8 scale buggy or truck. I never thought i would see this much electric stuff again. I must admit with the technology we have now electric power is very impressive which does make these cars very fun to drive but it just does not do the trick for me like nitro does. Something about the smoke, sounds, grease, etc that makes it feel like real racing. I will be nitro to the grave.