Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hows Nitro doing in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jbright33
man nitro is thriving in the pa area lots of huge tracks that are worlds quality.. dont c nitro dying around here anytime soon. its actually growing between all the tracks and motorama its bringing in more and more people.

boy you aint kidding ! i guess in some, states that are having trouble with money etc people dont have, enough money to race nitro i dont know.

but really i dont think 1/8 electric is, that much cheaper and not to metion lipo fires etc.

i stated in electric and eventlly it gets boring cause of the quiteness and you dont get the same rush.

Last edited by tc5 man; 05-13-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by prdmetalworks
Its pretty much dead at my track in NY. We had about 3, or 4 guys still running nitro up until last week when all but one got in on a group buy to go to electric. That leaves 1 guy running nitro & I'm pretty sure he wants to switch, but just dropped a new $400 engine in his truck at the beginning of the outdoor season, so he is waiting on $$$.

I know I'm in a nitro forum, so I'll probably be burned at the stake for this but, here is the problem as I see it:
If you dont have enough guys to split up nitro & electric classes, and run them together the electric's have a huge advantage & the nitro guys get frustrated!

This was proven when it became a big debate at my track & about 10 of us took back to back laps with a nitro 2.0 & an RC8T CE w/ Tekno conversion. We found that 9 ot of 10 of us were averaging about 1 -2 seconds quicker with electric!

Then you throw in the idea of no tuning, no pit man & the ability to make a 15 -20 minute main w/o a pit (our track still has mandatory pits for elec), and the avantages become overwhelming!

Dont get me wrong, I love nitro & would like to run both, I just dont think you can fairly run them together with equally talented drivers!

thats all about the driver man if, there faster or not with a electric if you arent to great at driving electric it wont be faster.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

There is no doubt that Electric is faster ... given equal drivers with, as close as possible, equal vehicles ... Nitro vs Electric ... Electric is going to win the race. I have seen it way to many times and see it in the race times results. I am not an electric guy and hopfully never will be.

Electric has that instant response that Nitro just can't produce. One of the guys at the track told me that Novak said the electric motor/esc/batteries that he is running produce 5hp almost instantly. This guy is actually running his electric powered Truggy at 60% when he races and it will still do a wheelie down the front straight.

But, I agree, the thrill and experience of Nitro makes it about as fun as it can get
Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Nitro is ruling here in Arizona. We have 8 tracks we can race on, and opening in a month or two is a new complex that has 4 off road tracks. 10/8/5 scale off road as well as a novice off road track that is easier for the beginners. Once its all done we should be able to race 4-5 days a week. The only thing we dont have is the tracks dont really work together and schedule different race days. Most of them are Either Wednesday nights, Friday nights, or Saturdays. It would be nice if they had alternate racing schedules instead of all running on the same days, but the hobby itself is going strong..4 new hobby shops just opened here as well..If you want Off road racing Arizona is the place to be
Old 05-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by triplebvalp
There is no doubt that Electric is faster ... given equal drivers with, as close as possible, equal vehicles ... Nitro vs Electric ... Electric is going to win the race. I have seen it way to many times and see it in the race times results. I am not an electric guy and hopfully never will be.

Electric has that instant response that Nitro just can't produce. One of the guys at the track told me that Novak said the electric motor/esc/batteries that he is running produce 5hp almost instantly. This guy is actually running his electric powered Truggy at 60% when he races and it will still do a wheelie down the front straight.

But, I agree, the thrill and experience of Nitro makes it about as fun as it can get

from experiece all that torque that, electric motors can get you in trouble even more . its not like you need all, that torque just to clear jumps at tracks around you.

from what i seen at my track, when theres a electric 1/8 in the race with the nitro i never see the electric guy when at all.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

who has marshaled for a EP race and forgot to flip someone over because they are sooo quiet
Old 05-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by prdmetalworks
Its pretty much dead at my track in NY. We had about 3, or 4 guys still running nitro up until last week when all but one got in on a group buy to go to electric. That leaves 1 guy running nitro & I'm pretty sure he wants to switch, but just dropped a new $400 engine in his truck at the beginning of the outdoor season, so he is waiting on $$$.

I know I'm in a nitro forum, so I'll probably be burned at the stake for this but, here is the problem as I see it:
If you dont have enough guys to split up nitro & electric classes, and run them together the electric's have a huge advantage & the nitro guys get frustrated!

This was proven when it became a big debate at my track & about 10 of us took back to back laps with a nitro 2.0 & an RC8T CE w/ Tekno conversion. We found that 9 ot of 10 of us were averaging about 1 -2 seconds quicker with electric!

Then you throw in the idea of no tuning, no pit man & the ability to make a 15 -20 minute main w/o a pit (our track still has mandatory pits for elec), and the avantages become overwhelming!

Dont get me wrong, I love nitro & would like to run both, I just dont think you can fairly run them together with equally talented drivers!
I'm a nitro guy and I don't get frustrated with having to run with the electrics, at least the vehicles. The electric driver's on the other hand I hate to be around most of the time because of their attitudes. That more than anything contributes to nitro dying in certain areas. You guys know the saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", if the electric guys are screaming the loudest to the track owners they will be the ones who get catered to even if their arguments aren't always valid. I get so tired of hearing the electric guys cry that it's so unfair when they have to run in the nitro class and have to make pit stops per the rules of the class or that they can't run for 20-30-40 minutes or however long the nitro main is . I don't cry when I have to run with the electrics, it's just another race class. Start you're truck up and drive forrest drive! I believe in live and let live, if you want to run electric then wonderful, I hope you have fun. Just don't preach about how you think the entire RC world should convert to brushless because you don't know how to tune and because of that you think nitro sucks . I think you should run what makes you happy and be an ambassador to the hobby and let people run what they want to run without an argument. Thank you, I'm going to step off my soapbox now.

Oh and the argument the the RC8T was faster the the 2.0 wasn't a fair comparison only because of the two being different makes/models/setups. Compare a nitro and an electric of the exact same truck or buggy, set up the best you can with the same tires, then you will know which is faster.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Slider30250
I'm a nitro guy and I don't get frustrated with having to run with the electrics, at least the vehicles. The electric driver's on the other hand I hate to be around most of the time because of their attitudes. That more than anything contributes to nitro dying in certain areas. You guys know the saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", if the electric guys are screaming the loudest to the track owners they will be the ones who get catered to even if their arguments aren't always valid. I get so tired of hearing the electric guys cry that it's so unfair when they have to run in the nitro class and have to make pit stops per the rules of the class or that they can't run for 20-30-40 minutes or however long the nitro main is . I don't cry when I have to run with the electrics, it's just another race class. Start you're truck up and drive forrest drive! I believe in live and let live, if you want to run electric then wonderful, I hope you have fun. Just don't preach about how you think the entire RC world should convert to brushless because you don't know how to tune and because of that you think nitro sucks . I think you should run what makes you happy and be an ambassador to the hobby and let people run what they want to run without an argument. Thank you, I'm going to step off my soapbox now.

Oh and the argument the the RC8T was faster the the 2.0 wasn't a fair comparison only because of the two being different makes/models/setups. Compare a nitro and an electric of the exact same truck or buggy, set up the best you can with the same tires, then you will know which is faster.

i race at a club level so if they wont, to race with the nitro cause theres not enough so be it even though, i dont competly agree with it.

i dont know if you ever notice, this but a lot of electric guys tend to keep to thereselfs . and the nitro guys help out each other and meet more people.

im not the best tuner but i can, get it running atleast where i want it at.
but i dont like when some, guys keep on bugging you to convert.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tc5 man
i race at a club level so if they wont, to race with the nitro cause theres not enough so be it even though, i dont competly agree with it.

i dont know if you ever notice, this but a lot of electric guys tend to keep to thereselfs . and the nitro guys help out each other and meet more people.

im not the best tuner but i can, get it running atleast where i want it at.
but i dont like when some, guys keep on bugging you to convert.
"i dont like when some, guys keep on bugging you to convert"

That's where I am. I think that you should do what makes you happy, nitro or electric. But please don't preach to me non stop that what I'm doing is wrong (nitro) and what you're doing is right (electric).

"i dont know if you ever notice, this but a lot of electric guys tend to keep to thereselfs ."

Boy oh boy how I wish..............
Old 05-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Our nitro racing is booming. New track was just built with more being built. It has gone from 2 tracks to 6-8 within a couple hours. There are 4 within a hour. I have one that is 10 minutes from my house. Electric is doing well. They have there own class. Some of the electric guys bought nitro. Even some that thought they never would and are really enjoying it. The nitro guys have helped him to learn. So it's been fun for them. We have great guys. Quite a few of our nitro guys also have electric.

I use to have to drive 2hrs to race nitro buggy. On-road was 5 minutes from my house. It wasn't any fun. The nitro guys ended up being more fun and was worth the drive. Miss racing with those guys now.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This does suck. I think SC is killing nitro in general. Ive raced at the same track as the chad man, and it seems that people are going nuts over bragging rights as to who is the faster with a SC truck. I think its just a fad and hope it burns out soon so we can get more nitro attendance.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am a recently converted electric guy, I had raced nitro buggy for 3 years then just switched to an electric buggy. At our track (hobby hut) we have at the most 8 guys who run electric, this compared to the 60-70 on any given weekend that run nitro. Last year one of our local "pro" drivers switch back and forth between nitro and electric, one weekend he would have nitro and the next it would be the electric version. I compared his lap times between the two and they were pretty close to the same throughout the race season, when comparing buggy and truggy. he did seem to have a slight advantage when racing electric monster truck, but based on the fact that this is in no way a real scientific comparison i cant say for sure if this is fact.

I do agree though with possibly putting motor limits into place when it comes to electric, some of these guys are coming out with massive motors that they could almost race against 1:1 cars with.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by fievel
I am a recently converted electric guy, I had raced nitro buggy for 3 years then just switched to an electric buggy. At our track (hobby hut) we have at the most 8 guys who run electric, this compared to the 60-70 on any given weekend that run nitro. Last year one of our local "pro" drivers switch back and forth between nitro and electric, one weekend he would have nitro and the next it would be the electric version. I compared his lap times between the two and they were pretty close to the same throughout the race season, when comparing buggy and truggy. he did seem to have a slight advantage when racing electric monster truck, but based on the fact that this is in no way a real scientific comparison i cant say for sure if this is fact.

I do agree though with possibly putting motor limits into place when it comes to electric, some of these guys are coming out with massive motors that they could almost race against 1:1 cars with.

do you think if hobby hut has, enough electric 1/8 to make a class than it should be a separate class ? i understand the lap times are close to nitro but if there is a separate class , than the guys in the 1/8 electric will all be equal in pit time stops ?

yea maybe there should be a limit on the motors lol, so guys can drive them without going out of control lol.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fievel

The motor limit and or battery discharge limits would level the playing field. There's a reason that we have engine displacement limits in nitro so that you in theory won't be able to out power everybody to the win. It's hard to overcome a power to weight ratio that's at least 1/3 greater than what you can achieve on your best day, it should be about driver skill.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

nitro seems to be holding pretty steady here in the Seattle area. But short course has boomed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.