R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Towerhobbies easy pay

Is there another website that does something like this? This is the ONLY way I can get a good, new buggy. I was going to get a D8 but I'd have to buy a new engine because mine is roto start so it wont work (unless it can be changed to bump box?)

My only other option would be the RC8 but that is too expensive, sooo is there another website that does something like the easy pay?
supamagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Have you considered pickup up a good, used buggy?

Or waiting til your finances are better

The Losi 2.0 RTR is hard to beat as far as a package-deal that gets you good equipment to go racing with. I've seen some guys do *very* well with the RTR right out of the box; throw the service part numbered green/silver springs and a setup on it and go race
Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supamagician View Post
Is there another website that does something like this? This is the ONLY way I can get a good, new buggy. I was going to get a D8 but I'd have to buy a new engine because mine is roto start so it wont work (unless it can be changed to bump box?)

My only other option would be the RC8 but that is too expensive, sooo is there another website that does something like the easy pay?
apply for Paypal Pay later. its 3 months no interest. you can use this on ANYSITE that accepts paypal which is 99% of them. its easy to get accept. ive been using this for about 2 years.

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
apply for Paypal Pay later. its 3 months no interest. you can use this on ANYSITE that accepts paypal which is 99% of them. its easy to get accept. ive been using this for about 2 years.
Wow sweet thanks!!!

And to the previous post, I can't buy used because it is hard to have the whole sum of money at once. Also, it may be a while for funds to build up...I'm 17 paying my own car note/insurance/gas lol
supamagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by supamagician View Post

why didnt anyone say it from the beginning? but anyways you can convert iy to a bump box extremely easy, just buy a back plate and your set. the kit comes with everything else you need, except for the bump box of course. the D8 is awesome. i just made the switch and im more than happy with mine, i have the D8T but im borrowing an D8 buggy for this weekends race. but anyways i know all about not having tons of money, im a full time college student and the only time im able to work alot is the summer, with school and homework and studying i have no time to work. get a D8 cheap for the kit and cheap on parts, just buy an aluminum servo horn and you'll be set.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

What engine do you have currently (so we can help you find a backplate)
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Yea, that would be so awesome if they allowed Canada to do that.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Actually, you don't even need to replace the backplate for starter box operation. You will probably will need to raise the engine up some and perhaps have a larger flywheel that will "reach" the starter box wheel.

But the "best" way is to replace the back plate.
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
Tech Adept

I know you're young, but advice from this old guy is if you're considering a discressionary purchase like an RC car and can't save the cash, then perhaps that's a sign that you shouldn't make the purchase at this time. If you can't save the cash in 3 months then how are you going to pay the debt in 3 months? Believe me I am 100% for toys, but your financial life will be much easier if you can resist making discressionary purchases on credit. Good luck!
MattFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFL View Post
I know you're young, but advice from this old guy is if you're considering a discressionary purchase like an RC car and can't save the cash, then perhaps that's a sign that you shouldn't make the purchase at this time. If you can't save the cash in 3 months then how are you going to pay the debt in 3 months? Believe me I am 100% for toys, but your financial life will be much easier if you can resist making discressionary purchases on credit. Good luck!
Man, I dont know you. But that should be a commercial or even on a billboard. Very well said.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
Actually, you don't even need to replace the backplate for starter box operation. You will probably will need to raise the engine up some and perhaps have a larger flywheel that will "reach" the starter box wheel.

But the "best" way is to replace the back plate.
Exactly -

I know personally I have a hand full of flywheel of all sizes - and would send one for the cost of shipping. I use a 35mm flywheel on my Hot Bodies - all you would need to do is swap you shoes and re-shim the CB.

I raced once with a pull start on a motor... and when I could find a back plate (Orion .26) I removed the pull start. Either way the bump box (Starter box) will work.

What motor - I'm sure someone can get one for you and or find one on the web.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Your 17, dont start using your CREDIT for BS like TOYS....... Save the cash and buy it. CREDIT is very important for your future, home, CCs, auto, even jobs check credit.... it can effect student loans in the amount of interest you pay. Any responsible ADULT will tell you this....... These are toys, and expensive toys at that. Do struggle to get into something until you have the foundation to do so with out worry of a monthly payment.

Sorry, but Im being real. All of the guys who take this hobby way to serious have good jobs and a good foundation to allow them to spend thousands of dollars a year..... Dont rush into it......... Dont get into the habit of paying another car note for a toy....
Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I agree, if your funds are that limited wait till you get the cash, it will be easier in the long run. If it was me i'd look real hard at getting something like a slash instead of a 1/8 scale.

When I was 17 I was living on my own, its not easy, but you just have to learn to live within your means untill you can afford the other things in life.
one8updragracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Save up your money! Don't buy this stuff on credit. It really isn't worth it.
tiger200350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Why dont you post up something on the donation thread. hell if I had a spare buggy I would give it to you. I give all kinds of stuff away, mostly things that (dont work the way I want them too) and only to racers that are struggling to hold on to thier hobby. I also receive free goodies as well from drivers above my level. Dont expect something shiny and new but if it is better than what you have be gracious in accepting the gift. I would skip the credit, nothing you could want is worth a payment (not even a house!)but then again I am jaded due to my own situation.