R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Questions?? Glo plug help!!!

Hey guys just wondering what glo plugs everyone is using in their buggys?I have seen them from $3-$8, hot, medium, cold, to many brands to choose??? Is there a difference in the $3 o'donnell online or the $8 ones I'm buying at The lhs? To give you info I have a 1/8 ae rc8 w/ dynamite plat .21. I live in the Midwest.
Fatam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

what kind a turbo or regular? I run turbo i run the o.s. p3 or the odonnell #97. I love the odonnels the are cheap and they last a long time. im just over a quart on one right now and it still has great life left.
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Tech Prophet

i been running nova plugs in my .21, and havnt had any of them blow out i know they cost a bit more but there good.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
i been running nova plugs in my .21, and havnt had any of them blow out i know they cost a bit more but there good.
wow, you got lucky, everyone i know hate nova plugs because they burn out extremely quick. i dont know why because they make some killer engines.

i run a P3 in my Alpha, they last about a gallon. in my Jammin JPX 21, i run the ofna turbo plug and im getting almost 3 gallons on a plug but they cost $13. and for standard plugs for the two nova BF limiteds i have (one modded one stock) i use the O'donnell 99 for the stock one and McCoy 8 in the modded one. McCoy might last longer but they are about the same. also i used to run nothing but P4s in my engines but the Alpha doesnt like the P4 and the JPX only runs perfect with the Ofna plug IMO.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
wow, you got lucky, everyone i know hate nova plugs because they burn out extremely quick. i dont know why because they make some killer engines.

i run a P3 in my Alpha, they last about a gallon. in my Jammin JPX 21, i run the ofna turbo plug and im getting almost 3 gallons on a plug but they cost $13. and for standard plugs for the two nova BF limiteds i have (one modded one stock) i use the O'donnell 99 for the stock one and McCoy 8 in the modded one. McCoy might last longer but they are about the same. also i used to run nothing but P4s in my engines but the Alpha doesnt like the P4 and the JPX only runs perfect with the Ofna plug IMO.

well what i can say about nova plugs is, i had my engine run rich lean etc and they never blew on me . they still light up

i bet the guys who hate the nova plugs, had a bad connecting rod or play in the chankshaft. cause i used them during, break etc and never had a problem.

i use the meduim hot #5 plug
Old 05-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
well what i can say about nova plugs is, i had my engine run rich lean etc and they never blew on me . they still light up

i bet the guys who hate the nova plugs, had a bad connecting rod or play in the chankshaft. cause i used them during, break etc and never had a problem.

i use the meduim hot #5 plug
yeah idk people that tried them have had brand new engines and slightly used ones and they would go threw the heats and then have to change them or they would burn in the main. maybe its just the weather here in GA, idk i tried one also made it threw two heats and then i had to change it during the third heat so i just switched to OD and McCoy. if they work for one person then dont change, whatever works, works IMO.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I Run Odonnel 97T in my Novarossi Toro Nero and have been very pleased with them

Right price and they go the distance

Dave
MECCAMO FUEL - BETA Tires
www.fusionxengines.com.au
rc skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

O.S. P3 turbo A3 regular. Those are the only plugs I use. The Odonnells are ok too but you could not give me a Novarossi(dont light all the way to the bottom ) or Mccoy(unpredictable lifespan somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes ) plug. I run two plus 4 novas, one with turbo button and one without. The O.S. plugs give me two full race days + with no issues.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattozx6rr View Post
O.S. P3 turbo A3 regular. Those are the only plugs I use. The Odonnells are ok too but you could not give me a Novarossi(dont light all the way to the bottom ) or Mccoy(unpredictable lifespan somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes ) plug. I run two plus 4 novas, one with turbo button and one without. The O.S. plugs give me two full race days + with no issues.

my nova plugs dont light the last coil, but my engine rarely cuts out and starts right up and runs fine, the glow ignighter says its fine too

maybe in states where its really hot, and humit they dont last for some reason.,
Old 05-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I use OS plugs P3 or P4 they work well for me. They cost more but its worth it.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #11

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatam View Post
Hey guys just wondering what glo plugs everyone is using in their buggys?I have seen them from $3-$8, hot, medium, cold, to many brands to choose??? Is there a difference in the $3 o'donnell online or the $8 ones I'm buying at The lhs? To give you info I have a 1/8 ae rc8 w/ dynamite plat .21. I live in the Midwest.
mccoy mc-59 is the correct plug to use in that motor.. i live in wisconsin.. when i ran that motor mc-59 was the best plug for our area. jeremy
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

+1 on the O'Donell 97T. I have two gallons on mine, including the break in on my Trinity Extech .24.
hookem34 is offline   Reply With Quote