R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Engine eating glow plugs

My brother has a Sportwerks .26 V2 in his buggy that had a new p/s put in this spring. He has half a gallon through it and has the tune pretty close to race tune but still on the rich side. We tuned it in 60 degree temps and last night were practicing on the track and after 4 tanks through it the glow plugs started popping on it with the last one the coil actually breaking off in the engine (that ended our night lol). The plugs would come out with a grey coil and dry looking for the most part. Is it possible that since we started the racing with temps in the 60's again and when it started acting up it was in the 40's that it leaned far enough from the air temps to get to lean? or is there something else like an air leak that we should be looking for? And by the way my new buggy with a similiar rich tune did lean out a little but stayed on the rich side of race tune during the same time period. Thanks in advance!
www.clarkrcpark.com
We are always looking for more racers at the track!
Bengsch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Tech Regular

It probably did lean out on you because of the temp change, colder air temps means more air into the engine and leaner mixtures because of it. Don't worry about what other engines are doing because every engine is different and will react differently to conditions. Always start your day or night with a rich tune and go from there, your engine will be happier in the long run.

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

for what ever reason it's too lean or has an air leak.

Colder temperature equals a richer setting so it very well have been too lean. However, not that much i am afraid. Bad bearing is my guess. Sometimes no matter how much you richen it, it will have a lean condition.

Whoever changed out the p/s forgot about the bearings

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
for what ever reason it's too lean or has an air leak.

Colder temperature equals a richer setting so it very well have been too lean. However, not that much i am afraid. Bad bearing is my guess. Sometimes no matter how much you richen it, it will have a lean condition.

Whoever changed out the p/s forgot about the bearings
+1

-2010 SC8 Shootout- 1st place winner
bonghitmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

I found a manual for him online (it was bought used RTR but no manual) and in there it shows what plugs are recommended for the nitro % he is running (20%) which is a Dynamite #5 or Mccoy 59. He was using a #3 on someone elses suggestion so could it be too hot of a plug also?
www.clarkrcpark.com
Old 05-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

A recommendation is just a recommendation. I run a go engine with o.s. p3 plugs or the #97 plug. Its his tune. Tell him to tune to that and see how the results are.

http://www.massivemods.com.au/produc...roducts_id=275
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
Tech Elite

the bearings may not be your problem, but i found out the hard way to quit blaming all my engine troubles on a P/S. If the crank pin is good there has to be a serious lack of compression for there to be a real issue if all the other internals are still good. The more expieriance i got the more i found that it's either a air leak, bad bearings or a bad rod. Any one of these things if bad will ruin a P/S FAST! I have a vspec that i could push the piston damn near all the way out the sleeve if i wanted too. but the crank pin, rod and bearings are good with no air leaks and a good tune. Still screaming

I check my engine alot. They are way to expensive for me to let something like a bad bearing or rod ruin the whole thing.

Mugen
Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It would have to be seriously lean to start popping the elements out of your plugs. My guess is bad bearings or a bad rod bushing. If both of these things weren't changed with the P/S, I doubt the engine will live a long life.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
It would have to be seriously lean to start popping the elements out of your plugs. My guess is bad bearings or a bad rod bushing. If both of these things weren't changed with the P/S, I doubt the engine will live a long life.
it might not even be shimmed properly

Mugen
Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

After the plug blows what does it look like when you pull it out. Is the wire still there is it distorted. Is the plug black like it has a ton of oil going through it. What's it look like.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengsch85 View Post
I found a manual for him online (it was bought used RTR but no manual) and in there it shows what plugs are recommended for the nitro % he is running (20%) which is a Dynamite #5 or Mccoy 59. He was using a #3 on someone elses suggestion so could it be too hot of a plug also?
I have found that hot plugs can cause all sorts of probs. Try the mc coy mc-8, it's a medium plug and has worked on every engine I've put them in....Good luck...
Old 05-11-2010, 01:05 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Send a message via Yahoo to joshdao Send a message via Skype™ to joshdao

I've been using Sporwerks V2 for 2 years. I really satisfy with this engine. Maybe in your setting has some troubles in your tuning of nitro engine. You should find out the manual of its factory to fix it.
joshdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

The old p/s had almost 8 gallons on it and had almost no compression when it was changed. You couldnt even start the engine if it was warm. The engine is correctly shimmed for 20% nitro. The new plugs we put in would pop with in a half a tank while running and when pulled out were slightly wet and had a white coil that was not distorted. Except for the last one that the coil broke off they dont look like bad plugs other then they dont glow at all on a plug heater.
www.clarkrcpark.com
Old 05-11-2010, 05:20 AM   #14
Tech Regular

I still say it went lean. If you read the tuning guide at the top of the forum page Ron Paris mentions in the guide that just a 10 degree outside temp change can cause an engine to go from tuned right to lean. If you had the engine tuned correctly to start with and it leaned when the weather turned cold then it was just the weather that caused it unless you definitely find something else wrong.

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #15
Tech Elite

I still think it's a bad bearing.

Mugen