Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine eating glow plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bengsch85
My brother has a Sportwerks .26 V2 in his buggy that had a new p/s put in this spring. He has half a gallon through it and has the tune pretty close to race tune but still on the rich side. We tuned it in 60 degree temps and last night were practicing on the track and after 4 tanks through it the glow plugs started popping on it with the last one the coil actually breaking off in the engine (that ended our night lol). The plugs would come out with a grey coil and dry looking for the most part. Is it possible that since we started the racing with temps in the 60's again and when it started acting up it was in the 40's that it leaned far enough from the air temps to get to lean? or is there something else like an air leak that we should be looking for? And by the way my new buggy with a similiar rich tune did lean out a little but stayed on the rich side of race tune during the same time period. Thanks in advance!
Tuned it 60 degree weather and was still a little rich, after 4 tanks of fuel (most likely this is when the air temps were dropping) it leaned out. Just tune the needles, that will always be free. If your brothers engine runs fine after a re-tune with no popped glow plugs then you found the problem, if it doesn't fix the problem then look elsewhere.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My vote is on the tune of the motor. Said it ran fine when the temps were in the 60's but then when it dropped to the 40's the plugs started popping. Cooler temps need a richer setting, to compensate for the denser air. That's my vote.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

ok if its poping theres to much fuel and your running in 40 degree weather thats cold probubly running to cold of plug and its not burning the fuel up fast enough making the timing of the engine off giving you detnation. try a warmer plug and maybe a extra head shim cause colder more dense air = more fuel . more fuel means more fuel thats gotta burn = hotter plug
Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default change one variable

try same conditions but jus changing one variable at a time, otherwise, it will be really hard for you to diagnose the problem.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

We got practice on Thursday with the first race of the season Saturday and both days are set to be in the 60's again so we will see how it reacts to those temps again and go from there. Im really hoping its not a bearing tho cuz they all felt really good when he changed out the p/s a few weeks ago...
Old 05-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bengsch85
We got practice on Thursday with the first race of the season Saturday and both days are set to be in the 60's again so we will see how it reacts to those temps again and go from there. Im really hoping its not a bearing tho cuz they all felt really good when he changed out the p/s a few weeks ago...
If you had a bad bearing the idle would be erratic. Just watch the outside temps and richen as necessary.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Pre tune it in your drive way before you go out, you'll know soon enough if it's a bad bearing.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default glow plug

New to the nitro scene. I had a glow plug killing problem on 2 motors. I used some 4yr old HPI air filter oil and it must not have been any good because i soaked the filters with it the night before i ran it. The motors screamed and ran perfect for about 4 to 5 tanks and boom started eating glowplugs. Brought them home and took them apart to see what i could find and there it was, carb full of dirt. Track was very dusty and i cant drive and spent alot of time on my lid. One motor was a RB S-5 and the other was a O.S V-Spec. Very costly lesson. Now i check my airfilters after every tank of fuel. Might not be your problem but my V-Spec is DEAD and cleaned the RB up and lucky it is fine.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Alright an update for you guys... Ran it today at our open run day and it was great through 3 tanks in the afternoon with temps in the upper 60's and engine temps around 250 the whole time. Now this evening it started in again. As temps fell we richened both the hsn and the lsn close to 3 hrs total and lowered the engine temps all the way down to 200 but its still burning out the glow plugs within a half a tank once the outside air temps drop below 55 or so. Could it be that its too hot of a plug for the air temps? its a Mccoy 59 hot plug.... The only thing that seems to change from running good to bad is the air temp. Any more thoughts?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone?