R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-09-2010, 03:53 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Cool New to the hobby with a Inferno 7.5 sports 2....and questions

Lets see here.....been running it for about 2 weeks. Had the devil of a time getting the gx21 to run right.....still doesn't keep it's settings. I have to tune it almost every tank because it seems the settings "rattle" out of the damn thing. I've broken a couple of parts, fixed a couple of parts and I've made a major upgrade that I have a couple of questions about. I bought a Novarossi .21 plus 5 on ebay (broken in with about 1.5 gallons through it) for about 190 bucks.....not sure if that was a great idea or not since I've never dealt with used parts but I was wary of the deal and asked quite a few questions. Now I've got the starter box in the mail as well to start it but I'm not sure if I need an engine mount with it. The specs on the engine looked pretty good at 2.62 and I have heard nothing but good things about nova so I figure that I've got at least a decent engine for starting out. Other parts that I'm looking at since I've already tweaked some of the alloy parts from wrecks is the front and rear shock towers, the shocks themselves, and I've got to figure out how to straighten the front end. I actually bent the bottom frame! I didn't figure on doing that in the first week but I could use a few tips on how to make the buggy run better. I'd like to try my hand at racing once I get good enough and I've been setting up a little flat track with water bottles or whatever I could find to drive in and around. I am very pleased with the quality of the car but disappointed at the engine quality. I've got a few spare parts and I have a HUGE wishlist at amain hobbies but any tips you could give me would be appreciated greatly. I don't have a whole lot of people around me that have a whole lot of experience with these and I want to take care of this wonderful machine the right way. Thanks for any comments, ideas, and if you need any more info just ask. Oh and is there a way to mount larger tires on it???? I've also got an upgraded clutch that definitely grabs better than the original.
KryptoRoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

my best advice would be fined the closest track and go make
some new friends. it's hard when you first start out the leaning curve
is a steep one. and you will find that most guys at the track are more
than happy to help you out good luck
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Nice buggy to start with I think. My first nitro was an inferno 7.5 when they came out. As far as straightening the main chassis you would be better off looking for one on ebay. You can find them very cheap, probably like 30 bucks. The bent one will do more damage than good, I know cause I tried. Bigger tires would mean changing the gearing and I would not suggest it. Too much stress on the moving parts of the drive train and engine. Cant speak to the engines you mentioned as I have never owned either but here good things about the nova. Either way have fun, find a track or good LHS to help a bit with the tuning and read the "tuning bible" at the top of the thread list. You will be quite happy with the buggy, it may be outdated but it is tuff as nails and easy to work on and like I said, parts are all over ebay cheap! I just rebuilt mine(new chassis, brakes, bearing, diffs, shocks etc) for less than 80 bucks and sold it. And check out infernosonly.com they have tons of info for you.
barrydidntknow is offline   Reply With Quote