R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (99%+)
Default glow plugs

so i am not new to the hole nitro motor scene but i am also no expert when it comes to tunning. i feel i have a pretty good tune on my motor and others at the track think i am pretty close to spot on as well. my question is, racing every week for about the past month now i have been popping a glow plug every race day. at least one if not more than that. when i pull out the plug, the filament is still attached, the plug on the bottom is a little dark and a touch wet looking. it seems like i can run all my short quals with the same plug but as soon as i run a long main (15-25min) my plug fails after the race. it never fails me during the race but when i go to fire my car back up to burn out the fuel the plug is dead, and it never fails every week now. glow plugs are really starting to get expensive. i have leaned and fattened both the bottom and the top with new plugs and the same results over and over. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
the motor is a ninja jx21 brand new ceramic bearings with just shy of 4 gallons on it
skoalisbad4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

What plug are you using? You need to be using the OS P3 plug.
Make sure you're not to lean on top and rich on bottom. Easy engine to run like that.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
Tech Master

yes i am using a p3. and like i said i have gone in all kinds of different directions with the needles. im pretty sure my tune is pretty close to being on but i just cant figure out why i keep popping plugs. i ran the same plug for maybe a gallon before this started and now i cant make 1 plug last a race night
Old 05-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
Tech Regular

check your conrod and bearings, maybe they are causing the problem...
Old 05-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
Tech Master

Bearings are brand new ceramics and the rod has absolutely zero play so I know that's not it? What else can cause plugs to blow? Anybody?
Old 05-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
Tech Master

You may have bought a bad batch of plugs.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If all else fails try a colder plug the filament is thicker maybe an OS. P4.
The filament is breaking somewhere in the plug if it goes bad after every main.
topcat-lll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
Tech Addict

I have heard that you can pop a plug if your bottom end is too rich. From what I under stand is if you go down the straight away and you let off the gas and your bottom end is too rich than the cold fuel rushing in on the hot plug will cause it to go bad.
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
jammin32j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me View Post
so i am not new to the hole nitro motor scene but i am also no expert when it comes to tunning. i feel i have a pretty good tune on my motor and others at the track think i am pretty close to spot on as well. my question is, racing every week for about the past month now i have been popping a glow plug every race day. at least one if not more than that. when i pull out the plug, the filament is still attached, the plug on the bottom is a little dark and a touch wet looking. it seems like i can run all my short quals with the same plug but as soon as i run a long main (15-25min) my plug fails after the race. it never fails me during the race but when i go to fire my car back up to burn out the fuel the plug is dead, and it never fails every week now. glow plugs are really starting to get expensive. i have leaned and fattened both the bottom and the top with new plugs and the same results over and over. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
the motor is a ninja jx21 brand new ceramic bearings with just shy of 4 gallons on it
The main reason that glow plugs fail is contamination.

Dirty air filters, dirty fuel, metallic particals from internal wear

You said the filament is still attached and the plug is dark. What color is the filament? Silver?, Grey or ???

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I run Go Engines. Last season I was using P3 plugs and had the same problem. The plug would never go bad while running, but be bad when trying to start the engine for the next heat or main. At that time I was plugging the exhaust stinger to stop the engine. A 20 year veteran said "try stopping your engine using the flywheel, when you use the exhaust to stop it the fuel pressure skyrockets, causing an extremely rich mixture." I installed a new plug, tried his advice, and BINGO!!!!! no more problems.
motomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #11
Tech Master

Racecrafter- the filiment is grey.
Motomatt- I never kill the engine with the pipe I always use my shoe in the flywheel but that is exactly what it is doing. I never have a plug foul during the heat/main but as soon as I try to strat it again the plug will be dead. Happens at least once a race night
Old 05-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to losi guy

I think the P3 is a ultra hot plug. Are you running 30% nitro fuel, if you are that possibly could be the problem.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I use to have the same issues when I ran grp engines and a p3 plug. It would run perfect the whole race day but then the next day I went to start it and nothing. The plug was done. Inswitched tk p4 plugs and problem solved. The p3 was just too hot for the engine.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #14
Tech Master

hey frank i might have to try that as well. yes i am running a P3 ultra hot plug on 30% nitro i might end up dropping down to a P4 but before i try anymore OS plugs i am gonna be giving OD plugs a try. gonna test out the 97T and the new 87T