Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your input on the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Your input on the problem?

I just recently bought a used traxxas Nitro evader from a friend. It has a new engine with new piston and sleeve. When i first tried getting the engine running, there was fuel everywhere and it seemed to be leaking from the carborator. The first thought was there was a bad o ring in the carb, but that was replaced. The fuel leaking has stopped, but the engine still wont stay running. my hobby store is now saying that i need a new engine. Are they just trying to make more money off of me or what? brand new piston, and sleeve. new o rings in the carb. does anyone have any ideas? I really dont think i need a new engine.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Traxxas520
I just recently bought a used traxxas Nitro evader from a friend. It has a new engine with new piston and sleeve. When i first tried getting the engine running, there was fuel everywhere and it seemed to be leaking from the carborator. The first thought was there was a bad o ring in the carb, but that was replaced. The fuel leaking has stopped, but the engine still wont stay running. my hobby store is now saying that i need a new engine. Are they just trying to make more money off of me or what? brand new piston, and sleeve. new o rings in the carb. does anyone have any ideas? I really dont think i need a new engine.
First you brought it used. Second how do you know the engine was "new"? A brand new piston and sleeve dont account for bearings, seals, cracks, leaks, conrod, crank, and the carb itself. if you are absolutly sure that it is not leaking, then it could be a clutch issue, or just tuning. Now i for one has been around the block a couple times, I trust my LHS. He would not sell me something i dont need. And if for some strange reason I dont know what the problems is ( that NEVER happens, I know EVERYTHING ) he will explain to me in detail why it needs to be replaced. But on the upside, if you buy a NEW engines, you KNOWits new.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Rookie

well, i trust my friend that the engine is new, because the HS also said that it seemed to be new. I guess im just asking about other problems it could be. I am new to nitro engines but it seems like there could be plenty else wrong. I trust my store, but so for 3 different techs have looked at it, and come up with 3 different problems. First the carb needed a new o ring, then it was the piston and sleeve, now i need a whole new engine. Ive seen the car run, it just doesnt stay running: which would be a problem.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

well, i trust my friend that the engine is new, because the HS also said that it seemed to be new. I guess im just asking about other problems it could be. I am new to nitro engines but it seems like there could be plenty else wrong. I trust my store, but so for 3 different techs have looked at it, and come up with 3 different problems. First the carb needed a new o ring, then it was the piston and sleeve, now i need a whole new engine. Ive seen the car run, it just doesnt stay running: which would be a problem.
How was the engine broken in? Not breaking in an engine correctly, is just as bad as running it with no filter....
Old 05-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I just recently bought a used traxxas Nitro evader from a friend. .
no such vehicle exsists....
Old 05-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Rookie

the engine has not been broken in yet. right before i recieved the car, the new engine was put on and given to me so i could start again fresh. just need to get it running long enough so it can be tuned and broken in.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by blktransam
no such vehicle exsists....
"rustler" sorry
Old 05-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Adept

Oh read the breakin bible at the top of the thread........theres one for tuning and breaking in. plenty of vids on utube.

Heat it up with a heat gun first .....
Old 05-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Rookie

so this is back to my original question, my hobby shop is telling me i need a new engine. Should i try and get it working on my own before investing another 100 bucks?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

Yes.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Rookie

ok, thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

have you tried adjusting you idle, or replacing the glow plug?
Old 05-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Oh well if your breaking in the new piston/sleeve and have gone back to factory needle settings then yeah its probably sloppy rich and won't idle. May need to lean out the LSN to get it to idle.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My money is on the exhaust gasket.

but it could be something as simple as the exhaust gasket. If you are running at factory settings i have actually had it so rich that when i pick up the car or move it, oil and fuel would come flooding out the end of my exhaust pipe. And of course i thought i had a leak.

If it is not these things, then my next guess is the front bearing.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i wuld just buy a new one thereare so many things that could go wrong dont waste ur time,. i did the same thing and i spent more than a new engine cost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.