R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Piston Clip Question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/396122-piston-clip-question.html)

hdcruzer 05-06-2010 04:00 PM

Piston Clip Question

Whats the easy way to get new piston clips in? Im havin a hell of a time..........

jammin32j 05-06-2010 04:39 PM

I have a hard time with them too. The easiest way that I have found is to try and get one side started and hold it in place with your fingernail and try to roll the rest into the groove. It is kind of hard to explain but hopefully you can get what I am trying to say. Sorry if you can't maybe someone else will have a better way.

8&stuff 05-06-2010 05:29 PM

putting your hands inside a baggy(in case clips go flying) with piston in hand, use tweezers and or exacto and work the clip into its groove. dont force it. when they get too bent up replace. when they are new they slide in like butter. also be sure to use proper clips. some are close but direct replacements work best

nitro crazy 05-06-2010 05:36 PM

i used a paper clip and just worked in into the slot....;)

dreaux 05-06-2010 05:36 PM

i am guessing you have g-clips or tabbed clips. just put the straight side (the one without the tab) inside the piston pin hole and just push the tabed side in with your finger. easy.

i cannot do it inside a ziplock bag or what ever. Have a hard time seeing what i am doing. But once you get the tab sort of in there all you have to do is finish it off by pushing it down with something.

I always get 2 sets in case they fly away.

use your finger. works best. You might find out the hard way not to use sharp metal objects!:lol:

jammin32j 05-06-2010 06:08 PM

Isn't the proper name for these clips called oh $hit clips. You try to put one in and it fly's off and you yell oh $hit.

The plastic bag idea is a good idea. I will have to try that next time.

hdcruzer 05-06-2010 07:09 PM

Thanks Guys, The plastic bag idea was great..... Lost 4, found 3, used the plastic bag didnt lose no more and got it done.......

wingracer 05-07-2010 04:57 AM

Another trick. Put the clip over a small allen wrench and stick the wrench in the hole. Then work the clip in. If it pops off, it stays on the allen wrench.

wingracer 05-07-2010 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by jammin32j (Post 7371199)
Isn't the proper name for these clips called oh $hit clips. You try to put one in and it fly's off and you yell oh $hit.

Also known as Jesus clips for the same reason. :D

Shuming 05-07-2010 05:40 AM

Come on now, its not that hard.

The Working Man 05-08-2010 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Shuming (Post 7373067)
Come on now, its not that hard.

Tell that to the guy with shag carpet and big hands.