Wiki Posts
Search

GRP Orange Head Tuned 21 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default GRP Orange Head Tuned 21 Engine

Hi all,
I need to start using this engine as my sons dynamite has a worn bearing.
It is about 2 gallons old but has been stored for ages.
I do not know what the factory settings are for this engine as I need to go back to base, Can anybody advise,
Also I was told that they tune from the LSN first rather than the HSN first, can someone please give be guidance if this is correct or do I just follow the Normal IDLE First, Set HSN then Lsn then Race tune?
Hope you can help as I need to sort this for Sunday.
Seem to recall 3.5 turns out from closed HSN and 6.5 turns from closed LSN, Not sure if this is correct though, Losi site says .045 from flush? anybody translate this?
Thanks
Kevin

Last edited by kevinjh; 05-05-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I think you are correct on the needle settings.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Correct settings are as Losi site says: HSN .045 in from flush, LSN .045 out from flush and Idle .030 in from flush. You'll need a digital caliper to set it right. The needles are very precise so very little does a lot.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kevinjh
Hi all,
I need to start using this engine as my sons dynamite has a worn bearing.
It is about 2 gallons old but has been stored for ages.
I do not know what the factory settings are for this engine as I need to go back to base, Can anybody advise,
Also I was told that they tune from the LSN first rather than the HSN first, can someone please give be guidance if this is correct or do I just follow the Normal IDLE First, Set HSN then Lsn then Race tune?
Hope you can help as I need to sort this for Sunday.
Seem to recall 3.5 turns out from closed HSN and 6.5 turns from closed LSN, Not sure if this is correct though, Losi site says .045 from flush? anybody translate this?
Thanks
Kevin
Try 8.5 turns out from closed on the LSN first. I am breaking in a brand new MR B01T which is the same thing as the GRP and that's what the factory settings are on it. It is really rich though so you will have to lean it out alittle.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

OK thanks for that, will set them with my calipers,

Now for tuning is it hsn first set to clear out to top wot with blue trail then lsn with the punch test after or as been suggested to me LSN first with punch test then hsn with engine at race tune?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Tech Master

I usually do HSN first to get you in the ball park then LSN, and back to HSN for final race tune.

Just remember to not make bigger adjustments than 1hour increments, especially on the LSN, it sometimes only need a nudge to hit the sweet spot. Once you're there, you should only need to touch the HSN once in a while.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for that, appreciated,
Do you know what plug is best for this engine as we used the GRP ones before so will need to change to a replacement now
Old 05-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

They still make the GRP plugs, I have good luck with the C5 plugs. They are a little hard to light, but it runs great on them and they last forever.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Great didn't know they were still doing the plugs,
Thanks for the advice
Kevin
Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

I've also found a Team Orion Turbo6 to work well in it.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

First off let me say that the Tuned GRP line is probably one of the best motors ever! Loved all 6 of them that I had. Now let me say to treat the connecting rod with care-i always heated mine before I started it, even after it had 5 gallons or so through the motor. The connecting rod is your week link in that motor.
As for a plug I always ran 097T and they last forever and at $5 a piece-can't beat it.
If you are using the 2053 pipe with the motor one thing is when tuning the hsn, you never really want it sound like its peaked its rpm (its kind of hard to explain, but you want it to sound like its still climbing and hasn't peaked yet) if it sounds like its peaked its a little to lean on the hsn.
Most of your tuning will be with the lsn side. Remmeber the engines like to run cool, 200 is gonna be pushing it. Rarely did I see any of my 6 run 200 unless the it was over 100 ambient or lots of wheelspin.
These motors are so smooth it is unbelievable, I switched to a Plus4 for the same reason and so far so good.

The os 2060 is a little better pipeset but the 2053 is good.

Hope this helps, just take your time as they tune a little different, and another thing have you changed your engine bearings yet, rarely did I see a set of bearings last more than 2 gallons no matter what was done. Pickup some TKO's and you are golden