Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Thinking of giving offroad a shot ,Questions... >

Thinking of giving offroad a shot ,Questions...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking of giving offroad a shot ,Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Thinking of giving offroad a shot ,Questions...

Hey guys I am thinking of giving offroad racing a shot , I have been running oval for a year or two and I am getting burnt out on it .....So just starting out in offroad would I be better off running buggy or truggy?
Local track has a decent turnout of each so I need some pro's and con's of each class ...thanks guys
Old 05-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shane1041
Hey guys I am thinking of giving offroad racing a shot , I have been running oval for a year or two and I am getting burnt out on it .....So just starting out in offroad would I be better off running buggy or truggy?
Local track has a decent turnout of each so I need some pro's and con's of each class ...thanks guys
truggy's are a little easier to drive if just starting out.. kind of big and clumsy.. better for bumpy blown out tracks

buggy's are nimble but tend to roll over are do weird things every now and then... better for smoother faster tracks..

either way you will have fun... try to get a brand that is popular with your area for parts and setup help also. it will make your offroad experiance much much easier.....

hope this helps you out a little... jeremy
Old 05-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

i went from Buggy, then bought a truggy,then sold the buggy, then the truggy, then bought a top o da line truggy. Thing will keep up wita buggy

a
Old 05-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Prophet

truggy man i ran 1/8 buggy last year, but the track i run on is rutty and rough so i will throw a buggy around !

the one thing i did like about buggy, though is that it teaches you to drive better and they do jump a little, better dued to their lighter than, a truggy but you really cant drive them hard though.

i like driving a truggy better its more, relexing and its defiely easier and more stable to drive they are heavyer but, they still jump good and you can man handle them.

so i whould get a truggy if its popular at your track.

the cons for a truggy maybe a bit more, ware than a buggy and there are some hackers in the truggy class lol it can get crazy.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

both are fun but you'll probably end up spending more money on buggy tires, buggies are a lot more sensitive to tires. i prefer buggy myself, but i thing it would be cheaper to run truggy just because you dont need as many tires.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It's a matter of what you like. I raced onroad 1/10th and 1/8th nitro pan cars somewhat competitively 5 or so years ago and a few months ago moved to offroad.

Currently I run both buggy and truggy nitro.

Buggy is more responsive and, for me, more rewarding to drive. It's not as forgiving and is much more sensitive to setup, but for some reason I seem to enjoy the challenge (I also race 1/10th scale 4wd electric indoors and like it for the same reasons).

Truggy is much more forgiving. The tires are so huge and the track is so wide, it's not nearly as sensitive to setup errors or driver errors.

Honestly I'd say if there's a way, try both then decide.

Cost wise there isn't a whole lot of difference other than truggy tires being quite a bit more expensive.

Tire life wise, it seems to be the same for me. They wear about the same for 4 rounds of qualifying and mains.

Good luck.

Last edited by heavyjeffd; 05-16-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I ran Truggy all last year (my first year racing). I am now running Buggy, and Luv the buggy. But I don't know that I would be as good of a racer, or still be racing if I had started with a buggy.

IMO Buggy is cheaper to drive, tires cost 2/3 on buggy compared to truggy, bodies are cheaper, kits are cheaper. Truggies ar more forgiving on rough tracks, and will take pipe hits better than a buggy will, but both are durable, and set up is nearly similar as far as how each drive..

A 1/8 buggy will make you a better driver in the long run, but if money isn't too much of an issue, then Truggy would be the better choice to get started with.. I suggest a year with a truggy, then get a buggy, and run it more often, then in your 3rd year run both,a dn you can become the guy to beat at your track..

I have noticed since running buggy, my truggy skills are better, and I have only been run buggy in about 6 races..