Community
Wiki Posts
Search

engine dying in the mid air again?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default engine dying in the mid air again?

My buggy runs fine through the entire track, but when I come to the 30 foot jump, my engine stops 30% of the time whenever I hit the brakes to bring my nose down.

There are no air leaks in the lines or tank. I recently put a different engine in it, and it is still doing this. I ran at crcrc all day and it never died one time. I get home and go to my buddys house, and whenver I hit the big jump it just dies. It only seems to do it whenever I have to bring the nose down to land it soft.

I've recently changed the clutch bearings, and diff oil. Everything ahould be fine. I really can't figure out what could be causing this with 2 different engines.

Any ideas would be great.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

this is a possibility the fly wheel COULD be hitting a rock or some piece of dirt hard enough to shut it off when landing. if you said its only happening 30% of the time. and with it not doing that at crcrc there is no big jumps there to bottom out hard enough. could be the problem maybe something else. i was at crcrc sat as well.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Tech Initiate

How is your idle set? could be that when your bring the nose down either the idle is to low or maybe too rich. Also have you read the tuing bible thread. A MUST READ FOR ANY NITRO OWNER!
Old 05-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

check the clutch shoes so they are not dragging on the flywheel, also do you only hit full brakes in the air? if so, then the idle may be set too low masked by the trim setting of the radio. neutral to wide open its fine but when you hit the brakes it closes it a bit lower and .. no air, no combustion. sucks to have it die in the air cause its always a bad landing after that.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liqfrce
How is your idle set? could be that when your bring the nose down either the idle is to low or maybe too rich. Also have you read the tuing bible thread. A MUST READ FOR ANY NITRO OWNER!
My Vote will be with the Idle.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Sounds like it's unanimous for the idle. The weird thing is that it was doing this with the other engine too. I checked the clutch and everything before I switched the engines.

The new engine(new to me) doesn't have a low end needle( it's a old one I bought from a friend until I can dish out the money for a werks b5 and pipe) so maybe it needs a little higher idle then I'm use to. Or maybe the mic=xing needle could be richened up a little bit.

It's raining where I'm at so It'll be 3 or 4 days before I can mess with it.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34
this is a possibility the fly wheel COULD be hitting a rock or some piece of dirt hard enough to shut it off when landing. if you said its only happening 30% of the time. and with it not doing that at crcrc there is no big jumps there to bottom out hard enough. could be the problem maybe something else. i was at crcrc sat as well.
You could also be very right. My buggy does hit pretty hard, and I still haven't gotten the big bore shocks.

I had the RTR body on the RC8 at crcrc if you happened to see it. I'm sure you passed me several times during the practice. I wanted to stick around for the races but one of the guys I came with wanted to get home. I'm sure I would have finished either last or next to last( I might have beaten one of the guys who came with me) but it would have been fun, and it would have been my first official race. I plan on getting in a bunch of practice this summer and maybe getting in on the point series races at crcrc this winter.

Soemthing else weird that happens with my buggy is that it seems to lean out in the air during big jumps even when I don't hit the throttle coming off the face of the jump. It's also done this with both engines.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bevofrancis
You could also be very right. My buggy does hit pretty hard, and I still haven't gotten the big bore shocks.

I had the RTR body on the RC8 at crcrc if you happened to see it. I'm sure you passed me several times during the practice. I wanted to stick around for the races but one of the guys I came with wanted to get home. I'm sure I would have finished either last or next to last( I might have beaten one of the guys who came with me) but it would have been fun, and it would have been my first official race. I plan on getting in a bunch of practice this summer and maybe getting in on the point series races at crcrc this winter.

Soemthing else weird that happens with my buggy is that it seems to lean out in the air during big jumps even when I don't hit the throttle coming off the face of the jump. It's also done this with both engines.

not to hack your thread but i was pitting right in front of you guys. i had the RC8 with the werks B5 and the upgrade graphics on everything lol
Old 05-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34
not to hack your thread but i was pitting right in front of you guys. i had the RC8 with the werks B5 and the upgrade graphics on everything lol
Small world. Was you there with your dad.

I think that one of my buddys with the mugen ran a little 2 lap race or something against you.

He came back to the pits and said "that kid out there just kicked my ass with an rc8."
Old 05-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

hahaha yea that was me. yea that was my dad. he loves this hobby and loves pitting for me lol
Old 05-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

idle to low, i bet your trim is incorrectly set on your radio also.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i had the same problem before, and it sounds stupid but check your fuel tank, it might not be sealing or the cap is not shutting properly. also fuel line could have a small leak or its not on the pressure nipple on the tank too.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

I got to run the buggy today. It was bottoming out and that was killing it, I covered up the flywheel from the bottom and it didn't die like that anymore. I raised up my ride height and that fixed that problem. It's still dying though in mid flight sometimes. It also revs up very high with the wheels off the ground, like it's leaning out.

I checked the lines and fuel tank and no leaks. My buggy did this same thing with my last engine. before installing this engine I replaced diff fluid, and clutch bearings.

I'm ordering another fuel tank soon, maybe that's it. I heard AE has had some problems with their tanks.

Really though I am getting very frustrated and am on the verge of selling everything and giving up this hobby.