R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #16
Tech Adept

dreaux you sound like me. i dumped so much cash into my 18 scale i could have a bad ass mugen right now.

right now im looking at the Ofna Picco

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVGM6

and the Ofna Ultra MBX

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAXV1

i really love buggies

Wish i could afford a mugen but im getting really tired of 18th it seems im stuck on the street or the carpet them. and they break so easy it seems
sancho1388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:07 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancho1388 View Post
dreaux you sound like me. i dumped so much cash into my 18 scale i could have a bad ass mugen right now.

and the Ofna Ultra MBX

i really love buggies

Wish i could afford a mugen but im getting really tired of 18th it seems im stuck on the street or the carpet them. and they break so easy it seems
Pico yes. MBX not. The X's front end is a nightmare and parts are getting rare. Pico has big bore shocks and a tough motor, not the fastest but will let you learn alot. Some good servo's and rec. batts. and you should be good for the summer.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:37 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

it's not cheap, but if you guy something decent first go, then costs later on aren't too bad.
for instance. i bought my x1cr buggy about 1 1/2 yrs ago 2nd hand, it was probably 1 1/2 - 2 years old when i bought it off a guy on this site. since i've had it, i haven't really had a single issue with parts breaking. the odd bearing hear and there (yes i prob should have replaced these more often), but the car continued to roll. only at the end of last season the shocks blew.

to get back into racing i thought i'd spend the little this car needed to get rolling again, i thought i'd get away with only spending $500, this later turned into $800... new engine, exhaust, servo, tools lost over time, and new shocks later it's rolling. but wait, i still need a few more things like a transponder and rechargable batteries and new wheels/tires.

however, everything i spent money on can easilly be transfered into my next car which i'm looking at getting in the next month or so.

like another guy said. if your serious. your looking at $1000 - $1500 at a starting price.
TC3ElectricGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:

and the Ofna Ultra MBX

i really love buggies

JUNK !!!!

Spend money on a quality buggy and you will A) have more fun B) Save more money in the end.

Get a losi 8ight 2.0 rtr. You will still need a good steering servo. Hitec about 99.99
Old 05-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #20
Tech Initiate

This hobby is as expensive as you choose to make it. Your best bet is to look at used vehicles for sale locally and go from there. My rc budget is fairly modest by comparisson to some I race with but I have at least as
much fun as they do. My maintenance budget usually boils down to fuel and tires. I spend a little extra to buy spare parts just in case. During the winters I save money for a new engine and pipe. The initial buy-in can be expensive but tools and miscellaneous equipment carries over to most if not all your vehicles.
aFito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #21
Tech Elite

70% wrenching and 30% driving - take your time wrenching making sure everything the right, this is a lesson I have learned the hard way. Get some GOOD tools. 13 dollars tools will drive you crazy, again lesson learned.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tion-Buggy-Kit
$290
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Standard-Plug
$140
USA.JQRACING.COM / WWW.NEMORACINGUSA.COM
revo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
hey guys I want to get into nitro. i just had a couple questions. beside fuel screw drivers and wrenches what else should i keeps handy. every time i talk to someone they tell me is need ten tons of crap and never go into detail. they also tell me if i have to ask i should stick to electric. nitro guys seem to be dicks over here. my other question is on average how much does it cost you guys/gals to maintain your nitro cars/trucks. fuel, parts ect...

Thanks guys/gals
anytime i say anything even close to this i get slaped with a warning quick/fast.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Working Man View Post
Pico yes. MBX not. The X's front end is a nightmare and parts are getting rare. Pico has big bore shocks and a tough motor, not the fastest but will let you learn alot. Some good servo's and rec. batts. and you should be good for the summer.

surely you are not talking about the mbx6. The car is a BEAST. Parts are very easy to come by, and working on the front end is NOT a nightmare. It is the hardest part to work on but so is the front end on every car.

The mbx6 will leave a picco mangled in the dirt.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
surely you are not talking about the mbx6. The car is a BEAST. Parts are very easy to come by, and working on the front end is NOT a nightmare. It is the hardest part to work on but so is the front end on every car.

The mbx6 will leave a picco mangled in the dirt.
No he means the ofna mbx buggy.

USA.JQRACING.COM / WWW.NEMORACINGUSA.COM
revo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Here's how I / we got started.

I bought a used OFNA buggy w/ c-hubs Comp lx I believe for 150 bucks. Took it apart researched the instructions and part numbers via ofna.com. Put 5k f / 5kc / 5kr in the diffs. I had a old HPI 21 engine that ran "ok". Ohh, and it came with a silver top ofna starter box.

Total investment 150 bucks (So far)

After I got the car together - I needed a battery for the starter box so 20 bucks shipped to my house (I refuse to buy from Hobby Town) gallon of 20% nitro 25 bucks w/ fuel bottle 30. Clutches and springs 30 bucks.

I pieced together some servos and a controller. Bought some zip ties, side cutters, needle nose pliers, I set of cheep L shaped allen wrenches.

Total investment just under 300.

Off to the park we went - got it running - crashed it a bunch of times - ordered some parts off line - got it running again - etc etc.

All this time learning what I needed to "Repair" the damages.

So now we are about 400 in total investment including tools and replacement parts.

Off to the track to talk to the racers and have some fun (Yeah right) - after breaking about 50 bucks in parts and ending the days as I was out of; and everyone else was out of parts to keep her running.

You then start to learn what you need and what you don't need.

Of course if we all hand enough money to have your own rolling parts warehouse and custom rolling work shop - we would - but not me. So I bought a tackle box - put my parts and tools in it - made it easier to tote my stuff around.

Now that I wore out the OFNA - I have a great competitive buggy a good supply of parts - I didn't break the bank - and learned more so how to drive and not act a fool - but it does happen. I just broke the mounting ears off my new 21 - less then a gallon on it. Jumping for distance.

Some of the guys we race with run the same like buggy - so we help each other out in parts and tips and such.

It can get expensive if you run out and buy what everyone else thinks you should have or need. So listen and then buy what works for you.

At some point you might get to a point, where you bring your buggy w/ starter box / fuel / glow plug warmer / charger / controller - and make a day of it.

Hope this helps and repeat after me.

Hi, my name is <insert name here> I've been addicted to RC Racing since I can remember. One day I hope to be cured of this addiction. But, today is not that day!!!

Have fun with it
Old 05-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
hey guys I want to get into nitro. i just had a couple questions. beside fuel screw drivers and wrenches what else should i keeps handy. every time i talk to someone they tell me is need ten tons of crap and never go into detail. they also tell me if i have to ask i should stick to electric. nitro guys seem to be dicks over here. my other question is on average how much does it cost you guys/gals to maintain your nitro cars/trucks. fuel, parts ect...

Thanks guys/gals
First of all I have raced both EP and Nitro, and so far the Nitro guys are the best at the track. I have way more fun racing nitro that EP.

OFNA sucks. You will be disappointed in the performance and support of that buggy....

I say grab a Losi RTR and start from there. Regardless of what people say, there is no cheap way about this. Get something good now, so you wont regret it as soon as you get the track.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuming View Post
First of all I have raced both EP and Nitro, and so far the Nitro guys are the best at the track. I have way more fun racing nitro that EP.

OFNA sucks. You will be disappointed in the performance and support of that buggy....

I say grab a Losi RTR and start from there. Regardless of what people say, there is no cheap way about this. Get something good now, so you wont regret it as soon as you get the track.
OFNA is not the best - I couldn't see myself dropping a ton of money and then crashing it up - I took the used car approach - cheep if it breaks ... toss it.

I didn't mention any names - but yes - get a good buggy now and learn - I would just be on the cautious side - so your new 400 - 500 dollar investment isn't costing you 100 plus a day to run it in parts and repairs.

Don't listen to Shuming Losi - sucks j/k .. if you ask 3 or more people - you will get 3 or more answers.

Honestly - they all suck - but then you learn what to do and how to drive it - and then your buggy is the best!!!!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #29
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the help. I'm not quite sure what to get now. lol one thing i am gonna do is not get in a rush. i know ill regret that.
sancho1388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #30
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Smart move on waitnig till you know what you want. Other wise you'll end up liek the rest of us who buy 5 different buggies trying to figure out what we like, same with motors , servos.

Not matter what you do, it does cost. You can watch for deal on this site and ebay, but i would highly suggest buying a new motor and go through the break in your self. It will teach you a lot and you'll know the history about your motor.

Not sure how much you want to spend but the Losi 2.0 RTR is a gread deal and gets you some of the top of the line equipment right away.