Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi's aluminum flywheel vs. Steel Flywheel? >

Losi's aluminum flywheel vs. Steel Flywheel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi's aluminum flywheel vs. Steel Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Unhappy Losi's aluminum flywheel vs. Steel Flywheel?

Guys what will the steel flywheel compared to the aluminum one? what are the advantages/disadvantages for each??
Old 05-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

The steel flywheel will take away some of the bottom end. If you're on a loose packed track, and have a real snappy engine, running a steel flywheel will take away from the snappiness, and make the car easier to control. The aluminum flywheel is lighter, and has less rotating mass. On a harder packed track where I need more bottom end, I run an aluminum flywheel. But on a looser packed track, like at the PNB3 I ran the steel flywheel. You can also tune with your clutch shoes and springs. But I have a steel and aluminum with the same shoes and springs, to tune with and see which direction I need to go.

-Bo
Old 05-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Keep in mind that a steel flywheel will make the engine rev up slower, but it will also keep it from winding back down quickly as well.

That means it will be harder to transition from on-power to braking quickly because the engine will continue spinning fast enough to engage the clutch shoes longer than with an aluminum flywheel. It may cause you t overshoot turn because your braking point will need to be sooner than normal.