dirt in motor

Old 04-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)
Default dirt in motor

so after a few laps i noticed my air filter came off and there was visible sing's of dirt entering the carb i claend it out and know my motor runs good at high rpm but will not idle or run well in low rpm is my motor shot
Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would flush out the entire thing with fuel. Do not run it until you do the flush.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Initiate

ive had the same thing happen to me, high rpm were fine and i had no idle or low range rpm. took the engine apart to clean it and dirt had scored the piston and sleeve.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Even though it's generally a very bad thing, it's not always the death of your engine. It's good advice to clean it really well, and a good investment to get soem high-quality zip ties. You may need to get a new piston and sleeve sooner than you hoped, but I think your current issue has more to do with tuning than the dirt in the engine.

Here's a little info that you or other people might find useful - the cost of cheap zip ties can be very high when you consider the cost of the damage that can result, especially with high-dollar engines. I've used zip ties from many different sources, but most of them tend to become brittle over time and will usually crack. I tracked down the company that invented the zip tie and bought 3 cases of them in huge quantities. They have been a good investment because I've yet to see one fail. They're four times the cost of the average crappy zip tie, but they're still relatively cheap, all things considered. Here's a link to their website, where you can find a distributor, but they usually like to sell them in case quantities (expensive), or you can track down a vendor that may sell them in smaller quantities, but they're well worth it in my book. Perhaps you didn't even have one installed, which makes them even more relevant, but that's a different story.

http://tyrap.com/ps/pubint/index.cgi?a=get_sub&cid=2

Not to be confused with "Zip Tys" which are just the same old cheap stuff
Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Zip tie the filter onto the carb, too. Don't just jam it on there thinking it will stay put.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CKmaxx
Zip tie the filter onto the carb, too. Don't just jam it on there thinking it will stay put.
i had it zip tied the tie got brittle and snapped will replace every 5 runs or so now
Old 04-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

I have found a 3/32" thick o-ring the proper diameter to fit very tight on the carb boot (can't remember diameter) does a better job than a zip tie. The problem with zip ties are they actually pinch up the boot where the tie latches causing dirt to sneak in there. If you use one that is very tight you can pick up the weight of a truggy by the air filter and it won't come off.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by hambone
I have found a 3/32" thick o-ring the proper diameter to fit very tight on the carb boot (can't remember diameter) does a better job than a zip tie. The problem with zip ties are they actually pinch up the boot where the tie latches causing dirt to sneak in there. If you use one that is very tight you can pick up the weight of a truggy by the air filter and it won't come off.

where did you get the 3/32 o-ring at , thats a good tip.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc5 man
ya me to
Old 04-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Ace Hardware in Bloomsburg. Any local hardware store will have an o ring selection. Make sure it looks too small. I fold my boot in half and work it up the boot. Slide boot on carb them roll the o ring down in place. I bought a few sizes before i found one i liked. 1/8 thick will work too but 3/32 is much stronger.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by hambone
Ace Hardware in Bloomsburg. Any local hardware store will have an o ring selection. Make sure it looks too small. I fold my boot in half and work it up the boot. Slide boot on carb them roll the o ring down in place. I bought a few sizes before i found one i liked. 1/8 thick will work too but 3/32 is much stronger.
ya any hardware store should have o rings the bigger stores might have a better selections but most places have a good selection of them.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C.Harper
I would flush out the entire thing with fuel. Do not run it until you do the flush.
it may look like no dirt got in but if the main bearing is crunchy while turning it it did. take off the backplate and head and poar fuel through both, then backwards. spin it after every poar until the grittyness goes away from the bearing. put it back together and run. if you did run too long withour the air filter a re-pinch may do the trick. i repinched a 1 gallon old motor that lost all compression and it ran another 5 gallons before the case cracked and then sucked in some aluminum dust through the crack. with another squeeze the p/s/r may go another 5 gallons.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

this has happened to me before. this is why alot of the time i run with the body off (not in a race obviously)

When it happened to me, my engine started flaming out and i couldn't figure out why. I was so stupid i never looked at the filter or take the body off. I kept trying to run it. Then i realized it. Amazingly, the parts are still pretty good. It will need a pinch soon though.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by j_blaze14
it may look like no dirt got in but if the main bearing is crunchy while turning it it did. take off the backplate and head and poar fuel through both, then backwards. spin it after every poar until the grittyness goes away from the bearing. put it back together and run. if you did run too long withour the air filter a re-pinch may do the trick. i repinched a 1 gallon old motor that lost all compression and it ran another 5 gallons before the case cracked and then sucked in some aluminum dust through the crack. with another squeeze the p/s/r may go another 5 gallons.
what do u mean by re-pinch sorry i am new heard of it but not shure exactly
Old 05-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

Something I do is put a bead of lucky 7 around the carb neck before I install the air filter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.