Wiki Posts
Search

Burned up baby!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Integra
who was that ?

X2 No way your putting a Lipo fire out with anything But sand or dirt and Lots of it.

Fire extinguisher's wont do you any good.
How about a big dunk tank! I had said that before at our local track, have a lagre bucket and one breaks out in flames just toss it in....
Old 04-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

who was that ?

X2 No way your putting a Lipo fire out with anything But sand or dirt and Lots of it.

Fire extinguisher's wont do you any good.
Hey Nick. It was Marco aka "Cain" who's buggy had a melt down last summer at Pingree. He had it back together in about two weeks. I felt bad for him but Castle sent him a new speedo right away due to a defect that caused the fire.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Something scary is just think about all the parents that buy RTR brushless rc's for their kids and have no idea what their kid is playing with and how possibly dangerous it is.[/QUOTE]

Very true! I'm sure there are alot of batts out there that are sitting time bombs and the parents or kids have no clue..
Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

I seen the pink smoke and flames in action my self and when it happens ya kinda know what to do or dare to do. I had a friends buggy get melted and he rebuilt it and was back at the track a week later.. He was pitted on the other side of the table and when he took his buggy out and set it on the table I could smell it...Even though you you couldnt tell it was burned a week ago you could still smell it.... I wonder how much servpro would charge to get rid of the the smoke charred smell...
Old 04-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, you guys go ahead and live in fear.

I love my lipos.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

As die hard as I am a nitro guy i wouldn't let this deter me from Lipos. I just prefer nitro since it is actually more realistic and exciting to race. Nothing exciting about electric vehicles.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by The Chad Man
How about a big dunk tank! I had said that before at our local track, have a lagre bucket and one breaks out in flames just toss it in....
Dunk tank wont work as well a a big bucket of dirt poured onto the fire.

Originally Posted by Timbulb

I love my lipos.
Tim, I hope you never have a lipo fire and that you always have fun in this sport, far too many people have lost alot due to lipo fires. I just hope you store your batteries in a fire proof container while at your house.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Thumbs down

I had a simalar issue take place last year on my way to Vegas supercross, I had my starter box battery start smoking up in the back seat n I didn't take any chances I rolled down the window n tossed out the whole battery. Weird thing was i was taking it to Vegas to hand off to my friend because I thought the batteries were wornout so I had cut the ends off n somehow I think they touched causing the problem. By the time I got back to the battery it had melted the outer casing so I threw it away after that. I deff won't ever have a battery in my backseat again it could have caused me to crash if I didn't think fast.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
so I threw it away after that.
Not to single you out Matt, but thats another thing that makes me wonder. How many people actually dispose of their lipo's the correct way?

I can just imagine seeing a large trash truck rolling down the road looking like a giant fireball.

Imagine loosing your house to a hobby http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1201051
Old 04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Default Salt Water

Keep a bucket of very salty water on hand. The recommended way of disposing of Lipo's is to cut them open and flood with salt water. The salt neutralizes the o2 producing chemicals in the battery. Makes it basically inert. After one flare up at a local track I started seeing lots more lipo sacks around. Is there a common reason they catch fire? Trying to pull too much juice from them or charging them up too fast?

Griz
Old 04-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

most common reason for a lipo fire is human error, off brand non roar legal packs dont help either.

at our 1/10 track all we use is lipo packs, i have in 3 yrs yet to see a lipo fire.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Oh man can you imagine a pack like a 4s ending up in a garbage truck and getting punctured? Just think of the investigators trying to figure out what happend.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Have you ever seen nitromethane fire? Lipo's can be safe you just have to respect them.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timbulb

I love my lipos.
X2...lipo's are great if taken care of properly....i would say 98% of lipo fires are Not the packs fault....Incorrect Cell count or too many Amps what ever it may be you have to physically DO something to the pack to cause it to fail....they don't just go up in smoke for No reason.

Originally Posted by jnslprd
most common reason for a lipo fire is human error, off brand non roar legal packs dont help either.

at our 1/10 track all we use is lipo packs, i have in 3 yrs yet to see a lipo fire.

Yes on Human Error...but to blame non Roar approved packs I think Not.

Cheap packs (Turnigy/Zippy) are NO More prone to going up in flames in comparison to the 50-75% More expensive Roar/name brand packs.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Cheap packs (Turnigy/Zippy) are NO More prone to going up in flames in comparison to the 50-75% More expensive Roar/name brand packs.
The only reason I would disagree with this is because most of the cheap packs people run (myself included) are soft packs compared to all ROAR approved packs being hard cased.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.