Search

Removing glued tyres

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Removing glued tyres

Hi guys,

Before anyone tells me to do a search id like to mention that I have done a search and found one thread about this topic. Problem is the other thread was about saving the tyres and foams mine is about saving the rims.

I got a spare set of rims, cam from factory with RTR kit, got bowties on them that are now bald. I would like to remove the tyres and foams throw them out, but would like to keep the rims and put new tyres on them.

Friend of mine did this recently but used $10 of acetone on 2 rims and still result was messy to say the least.

Whats the best way of removing glued tyres without worrying about what happens to the tyres or foams?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

put them in boiling water it works check youtube there is a video their...
Old 10-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

How long did your friend let the tires/rims soak in the acetone? If you soak them long enough the acetone will eat the glue away and not hurt the rims at all. I have about 3 sets of rims that have been soaking for about 3 weeks now. It's like that old food infomercial "Set it and forgot it"
Old 10-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

try baking them. i just saw this video iam going to try it tomorrow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=027Rmd9wde0
Old 10-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys, think I will give the baking method a try, looks very basic and effective.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Baking works really good if u dont mind the burnt tire smell in ur house make sure to wear gloves
Old 10-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Just buy new ones. Seriously, its a waste of time to remove the tires. The new tires will never glue up 100% since rims get scratched up
Old 10-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ive reglued Many of Acetone stripped rims/tires......they hold just fine as long as you use quality glue and everything is clean.

Problem with the baking method is Yes you can get the tire off....but if its the tire your trying to save....baking only releases the bond from the plastic rim....the glue is still on the tire itself and needs to be removed....you can do it when the tire is Hott Hott(i recommend) or wait till the tire is cool and get a dremel out and get sanding......the bonus to the Acetone is like aaron joy said.....set it and forget it.....If your in a rush then go buy new and save yourself the headaches.

a gallon of acetone should be able to do at least 4-5 Sets of tires...if buddy only got 2 tires then he's doing it all wrong.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 271 (100%+)

I have used acetone for the last 2 years with great success.

I have never had good luck with baking or boiling the tires. I have tried all 3 ways and the acetone is by far the easiest. It takes a little longer but you can save the wheels and tires that way.

Like Integra said you should be getting atleast 5+ sets of wheels out of a gallon of acetone.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

+1 to the acetone

i use mine in a large coffee tin and i havent had a problem with removing tires yet and as interga said you can use the rims over and over again.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Tech Lord

Just to throw this out there....Im not too sure what acetone will do to the newer breed of foams like AKA and Proline's blue's and JC blue's....So if your removing a set of these tire's you might want to Not submerge the tire completely....the Vapor's from the Acetone actually melt the glue just as well as if being Soaked in it...it just takes a little longer...so if you Have to save tire/rim/foam.....prop the tire up and out of the liquid...leave it for a day and check.....if it still needs more leave it till it does release...adding a slash of fresh acetone every other day will help also.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

+1 on the acetone Fumes only! I bought 2 empty paints cans and I put 2 metal stands on the bottom of the can and stack two tires in each can, out of the actual liquid. Put the lid on the cans and 24-36 hours later they peel right off. I have never tried to save the foams yet because I have not had to remove any of the AKA tires because they friggin last forever!!!!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

hey guys FYI, we are all using the primary solvent for CA glue and don't even know it, look @ this link and read under "uses", I little info goes a long way
someone give it a try and report the outcome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitromethane
Old 10-30-2009, 12:07 AM
Tech Adept

wow, great tip. I started by using my priming syrange to apply some odonnells 30% fuel around the glue bead. Let it sit a few mins. Worked a little. You could smell the ca. So I got a small tupperware container put a little fuel in it let the tire soal on 1 side for 20 mins and it peeled right off slick as snot with no glue residue on the rim. However you will want to wear gloves becouse the fuel releases some dyes in the tire, my hands are as black as the tire now lol. Also works good to remove paint off body shells, I just tried this at the same time.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:52 AM
Tech Adept

Update, the first set went well, the second set, i was trying to remove from a used ebay set and it didnt come off near as easily, and smelled a little different. Not sure what he used to glue the tires, but it wasnt factory. I had to soak them for about an hour and work at it to get the tire off. I will keep testing this method.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.