R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #46
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
soft cases are obviously more prone to being punctured Yes but after that the hard cases are useless and can actually lead to bad thing's such as cell's overheating and or swelling with out you knowing till you notice the case is trying to separate itself.

Again ill say it....Cheap HK lipo's are Nothing different from the 100-200$ Name brand version's....there's barely a hand full of factories in the world for these kind of batteries and like it or not the Cheap cells are of the same quality.

You are correct in the fact when cells are abused they swell up and are questionable to use but i would Much rather have a 50$ pack swell Vs a 200$ pack....I have had Zero problem's with my "HK junk" as you so call it.

1/8 ESC's are in their infancy to a point and wont cost you anything after the fact Even If something does go wrong.....Tekin, Castle, Orion, Losi are ALL willing to help you out with new stuff if thing's go south...so claiming they will cost you "mad money" is 100% False.

Charger's now a days are up datable therefor you don't need a new charger every time a new cell tech comes out.

You need a capable charger, new lipo's for 8's need high wattage amperage chargers/power supply. Believe me there is reason that hk stuff is so cheap. They are also soft case which is prone to puncture which causes the fires most commonly.

U can argue warranty support all day long with that stuff but when your out at the track it means zilch.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #47
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
soft cases are obviously more prone to being punctured Yes but after that the hard cases are useless and can actually lead to bad thing's such as cell's overheating and or swelling with out you knowing till you notice the case is trying to separate itself.

Again ill say it....Cheap HK lipo's are Nothing different from the 100-200$ Name brand version's....there's barely a hand full of factories in the world for these kind of batteries and like it or not the Cheap cells are of the same quality.

You are correct in the fact when cells are abused they swell up and are questionable to use but i would Much rather have a 50$ pack swell Vs a 200$ pack....I have had Zero problem's with my "HK junk" as you so call it.

1/8 ESC's are in their infancy to a point and wont cost you anything after the fact Even If something does go wrong.....Tekin, Castle, Orion, Losi are ALL willing to help you out with new stuff if thing's go south...so claiming they will cost you "mad money" is 100% False.

Charger's now a days are up datable therefor you don't need a new charger every time a new cell tech comes out.
Hate to tell you they are not all made the same yes there may only be very few actual battery manufactures are there. They are made to the specs of what the buyer is wanting and paying for. You want a cheap battery thats what they build
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:31 PM   #48
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Krawlin Send a message via MSN to Krawlin Send a message via Yahoo to Krawlin

I keep my lipos in metal ammo cases after watching those two videos. I used to be relatively unconcerned with where I stored my lipos, I used to leave them sitting in my RC's for (sometimes) weeks. However, I leave my starter box lipos in the starter box (unplugged when not in use), since its essentially a metal case, and it really only has 1 hole for flames to get out of. My starter box also stays in my RC toolbox, but its right next to 2 gallons of nitro fuel.... Maybe I should go re-arrange that huh?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Nimh batteries

I love nimh batteries. Never needed anything more for my rc cars. I have two stick packs for my starter box, reciever packs, and AA duracell nimh's for my radio. It seems like a waste of money to replace batteries so often and the speed controls are expensive too. I'm sure things will improve in the future though.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to pinky2252s Send a message via MSN to pinky2252s

Thats kind of scary sheesh!

Nitro fires are creepy too, they dont have a flame for like 10 secs, they burn VERY hot. Ive put some on a bundle of leaves and lit it, I didnt even see a flame i just saw the leaves turning to ash and disenigrating.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnslprd View Post
most common reason for a lipo fire is human error, off brand non roar legal packs dont help either.

at our 1/10 track all we use is lipo packs, i have in 3 yrs yet to see a lipo fire.
+1 and here's some examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Piva View Post
I had my starter box battery start smoking up in the back seat n I didn't take any chances I rolled down the window n tossed out the whole battery. Weird thing was i was taking it to Vegas to hand off to my friend because I thought the batteries were wornout so I had cut the ends off n somehow I think they touched causing the problem. By the time I got back to the battery it had melted the outer casing so I threw it away after that. I deff won't ever have a battery in my backseat again it could have caused me to crash if I didn't think fast.
Here's the quote from Rc Groups.

One of our fellow RCG members(Rballz) lost his home, and everything in it due to a Lipo Fire. As far as he can tell, He might have charged a older pack at a newer C rating. He only left for a few minutes and the garage was engulfed in flames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwrod View Post
Have you ever seen nitromethane fire? Lipo's can be safe you just have to respect them.
Actually, no I haven't seen a nitromethane fire. The flames are clear. Come to think of it, isn't that more dangerous?

I made the switch to LiPo last year and couldn't be happier. Ya just have to use them properly.

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #52
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
You need a capable charger, new lipo's for 8's need high wattage amperage chargers/power supply. Believe me there is reason that hk stuff is so cheap. They are also soft case which is prone to puncture which causes the fires most commonly.

U can argue warranty support all day long with that stuff but when your out at the track it means zilch.

Since when Don't you need a charger and power supply for any type of battery ? No you Don't need the High end charger OR Power supply...your just limited to how fast you can charge is all....Soft cells are 10000% safe for 1/8....were not racing 1/10 touring with the Pack Hanging off the side of the chassis with a bulls eye on the driver's side door....1/8 battery trays are more then capable of protecting a soft case and lots of people have proven that with running soft cases and Having ZERO issues.

Ill agree warranty means jack on the track...but like any thing in this hobby thing's fail and weather it be a 200$ hyperion pack or a 50$ zippy...i would MUCh rather have to replace 50$ Vs 200$....and i would love to hear your arguing point on spending the extra for name brand packs...as you seem to think the US repackaged stuff is soo much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
Hate to tell you they are not all made the same yes there may only be very few actual battery manufactures are there. They are made to the specs of what the buyer is wanting and paying for. You want a cheap battery thats what they build

ill keep running my "cheap" packs...you can spend the 100's on the name brands and be in the same boat as me if something goes a rye...except ill only be our 50$.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #53
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I was doing some testing with a friend and on both his truggy and my buggy we had way more punch from a turnigy 4s 25C packs than his 4s 25C Losi packs.

All of the packs are brand new (less than 10 cycles) and the turnigy ones (soft case) lasted longer. (about 1 min) and both were 5000 mAh Packs too boot!
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:20 AM   #54
Tech Apprentice

From what I have seen the fire gods that claim these lipo packs dont care how much $ was spent on the pack..... I have seen just as many high doller packs burn up and claim a car as the cheap packs.. Maybe the difference is in the quality of the flame? spend more get a better flame? Seems that high doller packs while flaming get more attn. "Look at the $ burning WOW"
A cheap pack burns " what battery? oh well its only $20...
The Chad Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #55
Tech Regular

For those who ask "have you ever seen a nitro fire?", I have never, not even once, seen a nitro fire in a nitro vehicle. I have seen a lipo fire in an electric on a few occasions. Nitro is simply a very stable power source, you really have to try to start a nitro fire. Lipo's, on the other hand, can spontaneously burst into flames with a simple mistake. One slip up and you could lose everything, ill stay nitro thank you.

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Most of the e 1/8 fires are caused by faulty speed controls. Most cases, you just get a puff of smoke and some scorching, but in very very few cases it could cause the battery to go with it. Hardcase or soft case isn't going to prevent this from happening.

Most of the lipo fires at my track have been nitro guys charging their receiver packs on the wrong setting. We have only had one lipo fire in an electric 8th scale and that was 3 years ago. It was human error too.

Lipos do not spontaneously combust. For every lipo fire, I have seen run away nitros flying off the track.

Nitro or Electric, these cars aren't really toys and care should be taken to ensure that all your equipment is in good working order.

I have been running the cheapo lipos for 3 years with zero problems.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #57
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torian4000 View Post
I was marshalling a 1/8 Electric race last summer and I heard the loudest sizzling sound behind me. A fellow racer's Hyper 9E burst into the brightes pink flames I've ever seen and the pink smoke looked like something out of a sci-fi movie. He ran off the drivers stand and got the pins off the body( what was left of it) and the flames grew larger. I was scaired too get to close as he tried to blow the flames out... I grabbed the biggest handfull of dirt I could find and trew it all over his buggy. Not only was it a melty mess but a dirty on at that! Never ever will I run electric 1/8th......
The vehicle where this happened was mine, and was the fault of the speed control which Speed Passion took care of and then some by getting me whole again cost wise. Big credit goes to Shawn Palmer, he went above and beyond. A shame as the ESC and motor combo actually felt right on the Hyper 9E.

I had to run my Castle ESC as the newer ESCs were not ready for the summer, eventually got a Tekin ESC and 1900Kv combo which worked great.

The lipo itself did not burst into flames and other than being singed from the fire coming out of the ESC, was not puffed, punctured, etc. I was using a PolyRC (enerland cells) 4S 6000mah lipo.

So not a true "lipo" fire here.

Can a lipo fire take you out completely? sure. Each type of running has potential issues, nitro included.

As for soft versus hardcased, puncture damage is the main concern as a hardcase does nothing for impact damage. Seems you could take of the case issue by making a battery box for lipos on the vehicle. The Hyper 9E with a slightly taller case could do that easily, and if it had it, my lipo probably would not have been singed at all.

Last edited by Cain; 05-03-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
The vehicle where this happened was mine, and was the fault of the speed control which Speed Passion took care of and then some by getting me whole again cost wise. Big credit goes to Shawn Palmer, he went above and beyond. A shame as the ESC and motor combo actually felt right on the Hyper 9E.

I had to run my Castle ESC as the newer ESCs were not ready for the summer, eventually got a Tekin ESC and 1900Kv combo which worked great.

The lipo itself did not burst into flames and other than being singed from the fire coming out of the ESC, was not puffed, punctured, etc. I was using a PolyRC (enerland cells) 4S 6000mah lipo.

So not a true "lipo" fire here.

Can a lipo fire take you out completely? sure. Each type of running has potential issues, nitro included.

As for soft versus hardcased, puncture damage is the main concern as a hardcase does nothing for impact damage. Seems you could take of the case issue by making a battery box for lipos on the vehicle. The Hyper 9E with a slightly taller case could do that easily, and if it had it, my lipo probably would not have been singed at all.
I'm just glad that you got that thing up and running again soon after. See you in two weeks if you're going to Mandan.
Torian4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #59
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider30250 View Post
For those who ask "have you ever seen a nitro fire?", I have never, not even once, seen a nitro fire in a nitro vehicle. I have seen a lipo fire in an electric on a few occasions. Nitro is simply a very stable power source, you really have to try to start a nitro fire. Lipo's, on the other hand, can spontaneously burst into flames with a simple mistake. One slip up and you could lose everything, ill stay nitro thank you.
Nope never seen one before must be electric thing to burn to the ground
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #60
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torian4000 View Post
I'm just glad that you got that thing up and running again soon after. See you in two weeks if you're going to Mandan.
Me too!