R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Hudy set up station

who has tried this? im thinking about getting it but idk if i wanna spend the money. is the $10 ride height and camber that far off?

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I'll bring mine to sun lakes for you on Friday. You can try it and see what you think.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i use mine for the initial setup, get err thing just right. and during the day of racing i use the plastic camber guages.

JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I just picked up one, but it was an "indulgence" more than a necessity.

I was just having a phone conversation, and we were discussing this very subject. You really can get your vehicle dialed in just fine with an RPM camber gauge, and a ride height gauge. This is just another tool...perhaps overkill, but who knows.

Yes it will be more precise, and will help keep the settings consistent side to side, front to back. Like Jaz said, try it out and see if you think it's worth the money.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

I have found they are a huge help if you run a car that has a pillow ball setup on the front end. Makes it easy to get the caster set where you want it and the same on both sides of the car.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I'll bring mine to sun lakes for you on Friday. You can try it and see what you think.

thanks james, your just tryin to get me to spend mo money lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
I just picked up one, but it was an "indulgence" more than a necessity.

I was just having a phone conversation, and we were discussing this very subject. You really can get your vehicle dialed in just fine with an RPM camber gauge, and a ride height gauge. This is just another tool...perhaps overkill, but who knows.

Yes it will be more precise, and will help keep the settings consistent side to side, front to back. Like Jaz said, try it out and see if you think it's worth the money.

thanks, thats wat i was thinking, my main thing is im not good at eye balling so i never set my toe and i know this can

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

ANy one try the Integy Universal Set Up Station?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

We run the HUDY set up station for both 1/8th and 1/10th to me they are the final "fine tune" to the chassis before it hits the track.
blade954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I bought and sold it 2 months later. It is well built but in reality doesn't work very well because of the nature of these cars (too much slop). It was inaccurate in rear camber and especially front left toe. Most of the pieces that come with it are useless like ride height gauge, the wheels that bolt to the hexes, the blocks and the quick gauge.

Believe me when I say, I spend money on this hobby, but this just didn't work. Like I said I sold it and it wasn't because I needed the money back.
I will say it was cool to screw around with for a little while and does come with a great manual that explains the effects of changes that you can make.

I know if you're anything like me though, you'll buy it and try it for yourself, probably be disappointed, but be glad that you learned something and sell it.
Blackjack 26
Aka: Deebo, Poppa Pump / Busted Knuckle Wheelin' / Henchmen Racing
dnebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

It works great keeps things even from side to side makes toe setup by far better so it tracks better. Sure I've used plastic RPM gauge but setting toe a pain.
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:38 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have one, it is nice and a great tool for initial setup, but like other have said more of a want than need.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:47 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Best setup tool i have owned, i have no idea how you would accurately setup front toe without it.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:43 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
thanks, thats wat i was thinking, my main thing is im not good at eye balling so i never set my toe and i know this can
No need to eyeball toe....that RPM camber gage works good for that too. Just get a piece of 1 x 4 long enough to extend about 4" past each wheel. The turn your radio on, make sure the servo is centered, and push the 1 x 4 up against the back edge of your front tires. You can then lay the camber gage on its side, put the bottom edge against the wood, and measure toe angle like you would measure camber.

Once you do it a couple of times, it gets really easy. The trick is doing it with the power on, otherwise your servo keeps moving all over the place, and you can't get an accurate reading. Let me know if you need any further explanation...maybe I can post a picture if any of this sounds confusing.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
No need to eyeball toe....that RPM camber gage works good for that too. Just get a piece of 1 x 4 long enough to extend about 4" past each wheel. The turn your radio on, make sure the servo is centered, and push the 1 x 4 up against the back edge of your front tires. You can then lay the camber gage on its side, put the bottom edge against the wood, and measure toe angle like you would measure camber.

Once you do it a couple of times, it gets really easy. The trick is doing it with the power on, otherwise your servo keeps moving all over the place, and you can't get an accurate reading. Let me know if you need any further explanation...maybe I can post a picture if any of this sounds confusing.
can you please post pic?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #15
Tech Adept

I made my own setup station with some plexiglass.I cut some (316" thick I think) into 4" squares.Drilled holes in the center and put them on in place of the wheels.Took a nice flat board and drew referance lines on it for setting toe.Works pretty good.May not be as finely accurate as a Hudy but gets you in the ballpark pretty good and only cost a few bucks to make.

Losi 8ight-T 2.0 Losi 8ight 2.0 Losi Mini-Late Model,Losi L8ight Model

Hobby Revolution Team Driver
dash riprock is offline   Reply With Quote