R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #31
Tech Elite
 
Stubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,177
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjesr View Post
I've been juked again There is no total toe just a measurement at each wheel.
Nope, no juking here....from everything I've read, total toe is used on full size cars. I don't have a real good answer on why it's done differently on RC cars.
__________________
Mike Stubblefield - www.capefearraceway.com
"If you're not racing to have fun, then you're doing it WRONG."
"All you need is WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it moves, and it shouldn't, use the Duct Tape. If it doesn't move, and it should, use the WD-40."
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #32
Tech Regular
 
ramjesr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
Nope, no juking here....from everything I've read, total toe is used on full size cars. I don't have a real good answer on why it's done differently on RC cars.
maybe because a full size car has one tie-rod to adjust,r/c car has two tie-rods to adjust.
ramjesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #33
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

just take a measuring ruller and measure middle to middle the front of the tire both left and right, do it on the rear and make sure it coresponds to the front that way you know the tires are straight. Now make a mark and start adding toe. you can measure off the mark both left and right to get 1 degree 2 degree ext. You should have a coresponding counterpoint in the rear of the tire middle to middle.

Never tried this but if i did not have a set up station this is how i would do it or something similar.
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #34
Tech Regular
 
ramjesr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 382
Default

by the way, do you want toe-in or toe-out? on a full size car you want some toe-in.
ramjesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #35
Tech Regular
 
ramjesr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
just take a measuring ruller and measure middle to middle the front of the tire both left and right, do it on the rear and make sure it coresponds to the front that way you know the tires are straight. Now make a mark and start adding toe. you can measure off the mark both left and right to get 1 degree 2 degree ext. You should have a coresponding counterpoint in the rear of the tire middle to middle.

Never tried this but if i did not have a set up station this is how i would do it or something similar.
I think that would work if you had only a single tie-rod to adjust, you can still be off a deg. or two and still have the same readings of the front and rear of the tires.
ramjesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #36
Tech Regular
 
ramjesr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
Here you go... Sorry for the crude sketch, but I'm in Chicago for work at the moment, and my Truggy is at home.

Remember, when using this method, each wheel is half of the total toe (i.e. if you want 2.0 deg. of toe, each wheel is 1.0 deg.)
Stubbs way will work for now.
ramjesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #37
Tech Master
 
hyperfuxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: geneva Illinois
Posts: 1,162
Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default

If you have the 1/8 setup towers and all do you think if you put on 1/8 adapters on a sc truck it would work the same? I got the hyper 10sc and I'm just looking to get the toe right.
hyperfuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #38
Tech Addict
 
Jake C6R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 557
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjesr View Post
Stubbs way will work for now.
I tried it out and it worked well! It may not be exactly perfect but close enough - and now at least both wheels are set the same!
Jake C6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #39
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 42
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

i read this thread too late, i have ordered the hudy set up station when i cud have just gone with the cheap RPM gauges.

Good info
jurutera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #40
Tech Initiate
 
Jethro14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wilmington,NC
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
Here you go... Sorry for the crude sketch, but I'm in Chicago for work at the moment, and my Truggy is at home.

Remember, when using this method, each wheel is half of the total toe (i.e. if you want 2.0 deg. of toe, each wheel is 1.0 deg.)

(Edit - after further research, the statement above applies to full size cars only. For RC, if you want 2.0 deg. of toe, set each wheel to 2.0 deg).
No Stubbs, you are right. Total toe is total toe....period. 2 degrees on the left front and 2 degrees on the right front is 4 degrees toe. For some reason, long ago before I started racing rc cars, it became the general consensus that 2 degrees left and 2 degrees right is is a total of 2 degrees toe. I argued this until I was blue in the face with everyone that told me I was wrong, but I finally gave up and just accepted the fact of thats how it is in the rc car world. However, when I setup my real race car, 1/2 degree toe on the left front and 1/2 degree toe on the right front is 1 degree toe lol.
Jethro14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #41
Tech Initiate
 
Jethro14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wilmington,NC
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjesr View Post
by the way, do you want toe-in or toe-out? on a full size car you want some toe-in.
Please don't take this as me being a smart ass, but what type of full size car uses toe-in ?
Jethro14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #42
Tech Addict
 
Jake C6R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 557
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro14 View Post
Please don't take this as me being a smart ass, but what type of full size car uses toe-in ?
As far as I know every car has some toe-in to assist with steering and keep it going in a straight line.
Jake C6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #43
JsK
Tech Master
 
JsK's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: S.Oregon
Posts: 1,525
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake C6R View Post
As far as I know every car has some toe-in to assist with steering and keep it going in a straight line.
Toe-in is used on full size cars to take up the slack and keep the wheels as
close to 0 toe as possible when rolling and the steering system
is under load. Unless your talking Auto-X or SCCA I cant ever remember an
alignment spec that used Toe-out in front.
JsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:07 AM   #44
Tech Regular
 
ramjesr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurutera View Post
i read this thread too late, i have ordered the hudy set up station when i cud have just gone with the cheap RPM gauges.

Good info
Don't feel so bad, I did the same thing.
ramjesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:22 AM   #45
Tech Regular
 
ramjesr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro14 View Post
Please don't take this as me being a smart ass, but what type of full size car uses toe-in ?
I don't know about a full size car but with a semi truck (10 wheels) you want the front end 1/8" toe in no more than that because of tire wear. If you set it up with toe-out it will feel like the front end is going to tear its self apart and the tires would not last very long. I am sure if we received feed back from the car through the transmitter steering wheel we could set these r/c cars to the perfect specs.
ramjesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hudy set-up Station #108255 xrcbuggy Nitro On-Road 29 04-23-2011 01:27 AM
t2'008, losi xxxcr, 2-pulsar 3 chargers, hudy set up station, xray spring set Jaz406 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 18 04-01-2010 10:45 AM
Hudy Set Up Station mudboger07 Nitro Off-Road 32 01-28-2010 08:15 AM
Hudy Set up Station hype Australia For Sale/Trade 16 06-30-2007 08:30 PM
Hudy Set-Up Station, CE Pitbull, and Losi Tools for Sale MUDVAYNE R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 18 01-04-2007 07:37 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:00 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net