R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Buy new or Upgrade

Ok. so the story is. I've got a x1cr that is probably over 2 years old, it has all the upgrades.

However it requires a new steering servo, engine, transponder, wheels, shocks, to get going ready for raceing.

Do i do this buggy up and spend the $600 or so on it, or do i go all out and buy a new buggy.

What are peoples recommendations.
TC3ElectricGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3ElectricGuy View Post
Ok. so the story is. I've got a x1cr that is probably over 2 years old, it has all the upgrades.

However it requires a new steering servo, engine, transponder, wheels, shocks, to get going ready for raceing.

Do i do this engine up and spend the $600 or so on it, or do i go all out and buy new.

if u want to spend 600 u can get new or a real nice used up to date buggy
i would update
newuserlosi8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

New Hot Bodies D8 w/Alpha plus or Werks B5 engine and hobbico servos, will put you right at $500. So the other $100 can go to tires and wheels. Find a nicely used one and save even more..
Old 04-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty! View Post
New Hot Bodies D8 w/Alpha plus or Werks B5 engine and hobbico servos, will put you right at $500. So the other $100 can go to tires and wheels. Find a nicely used one and save even more..
+1, and i would go with Alpha green head engine
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Update why not use the most advanced technology out there.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Tech Prophet

well i bought a outdated used model, a eight -t 1.0 from a racer and well lets just say i should of just bought, a 2.0 t for how much i replaced on it!

i wouldnt buy a used losi eight since, they are known to ware even if a racer ran it . im gone to buy new the next time lol.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:

Do i do this buggy up and spend the $600 or so on it, or do i go all out and buy a new buggy.

A little of this is up to your own personality too.

Probably what these guys are saying makes sense but make sure you are comparing the same quality between what you have and what you are replacing it with. Some of these options sound very cheap - to me at least. But I haven't kept up with all of the brands much becuase I'm happy running my old stuff still. Some years I spend $100 on it some I spend a few hundred - but I'm always cheaper than buying new every 2 or 3 years. Until I would run at a near pro level or my parts are discontinued what is the point? Until it is several years old and you are missing out on the technology I guess.

Also, what level of racing are you at?

What I wanted to really point out to you though is that a new competitive buggy would still need a servo, engine, transponer, and possibly wheels depending what kit you buy - or at least the wheels/tires in the kit might not be that great for your track and you will soon find yourself buying other things to make it feel right.
Can you rebuild the shocks by only buying the worn out pieces? Not many people buy brand new complete shocks in the cars lifetime. I really don't think 2 years old is to the point of junking and starting over.

Just pointing out the other side - but if you are asking us you probably are trying to help justify the cost of a new ride or you wouldn't be asking! I think most people are going to vote you a new ride
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr48 View Post

Probably what these guys are saying makes sense but make sure you are comparing the same quality between what you have and what you are replacing it with. Some of these options sound very cheap - to me at least. But I haven't kept up with all of the brands much becuase I'm happy running my old stuff still. Some years I spend $100 on it some I spend a few hundred - but I'm always cheaper than buying new every 2 or 3 years. Until I would run at a near pro level or my parts are discontinued what is the point? Until it is several years old and you are missing out on the technology I guess.

What I wanted to really point out to you though is that a new competitive buggy would still need a servo, engine, transponer, and possibly wheels depending what kit you buy - or at least the wheels/tires in the kit might not be that great for your track and you will soon find yourself buying other things to make it feel right.
Can you rebuild the shocks by only buying the worn out pieces? Not many people buy brand new complete shocks in the cars lifetime. I really don't think 2 years old is to the point of junking and starting over.

Just pointing out the other side - but if you are asking us you probably are trying to help justify the cost of a new ride or you wouldn't be asking! I think most people are going to vote you a new ride
I'll agree that a 2 year old car isn't worn out. But the technology behind his current car is over 6 years old. Jammin X-1.. I know cause I had one.. I moved up to the Hot Bodies D8 and I am much more competative than I was last year.. And all I have changed is the vehicle.. Same Servos, same engine for a while, same tires, etc.. The Newer, longer, more forward designs are much more forgiving and drive faster..
Old 04-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr48 View Post

What I wanted to really point out to you though is that a new competitive buggy would still need a servo, engine, transponer, and possibly wheels depending what kit you buy - or at least the wheels/tires in the kit might not

be that great for your track and you will soon find yourself buying other things to make it feel right.

if your club racing you can race a, old design buggy/ truggy and be competive
i dont buy you have to be the best driver, to keep up with the newer design buggys/truggys . at our level

im not talking about a real old design, just one thats about 3 to 4 years old.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
Tech Elite

i have had both the X1 and X2 both buggy and truggy and i can tell you the D8 is better but the X1 is an awesome buggy. i loved mine but once i got an X2 i hated it, and wanted my X1 back. but the X2 truggy is amazing but still the D8T is better than my X2 truggy. but if you like your X1 stick with it and update the shocks to 16mm and go.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

thanks for the feedback guys.

i am going to keep what i have for a few reasons. in the time i've had my x1, i've never really had to spend $$ on replacing parts. yes i just went out today and spend $150 on big bore shocks/springs setup, but thats the most i've had to spend since i've owned it and it was already 2nd hand when i bought it.

i also bought a Axe Cobra X1 Evo Buggy Motor w Axe 2050 Exhaust for $299. servo at 1/2 price . i paid $99. and a few other things to get this car rolling again.

overall i think i spent just under $600.

the thought process was. every part i have spent $$ on today i can put onto my next car or keep as a spare. if i decide to buy new. i can get that at any time and still have a car rolling.
TC3ElectricGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #12
Tech Elite

what ever you can afford to do - new is better
Old 04-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:

the thought process was. every part i have spent $$ on today i can put onto my next car or keep as a spare. if i decide to buy new. i can get that at any time and still have a car rolling.

This is exactly why I bought a new engine and kept my old car for now. If I break a part on my car this year that is discontinued I just move radio and engine to new car that I have to buy. I like getting the most money out of something I already paid for - at the club level it makes very little difference.
Good decision! (for now )
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to scoopdaloop
Default Bla bla

Whether you like Hot Bodies, Jammin, Losi, Mugen etc.... everyone has a different driving style so you really can't give all that much credit to what they have to say. For you drive differently than they do. More importantly, look at the buggies durability, the ease on which they can be wrenched on, parts availability and what aesthetically looks appealing you to. Nothing worse than not being pleased by what your truck/buggy looks like.

Now don't get me wrong, once you get a buggy/truggy you should give and be open to feedback from other racers with the same platform.. it only helps you/them improve on the track!

Get a buggy and get racing!
scoopdaloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:

i am going to keep what i have for a few reasons. in the time i've had my x1, i've never really had to spend $$ on replacing parts. yes i just went out today and spend $150 on big bore shocks/springs setup, but thats the most i've had to spend since i've owned it and it was already 2nd hand when i bought it.

i also bought a Axe Cobra X1 Evo Buggy Motor w Axe 2050 Exhaust for $299. servo at 1/2 price . i paid $99. and a few other things to get this car rolling again.

overall i think i spent just under $600.

run blue springs on the front and silver on the rear if track is rough and white on rear if its smooth. also make sure to run short shock ends on the shocks. and the shock mounts at the top run the shorter ones or you'll bend the shock shafts. the shock springs will rub/touch the upper arms a little, but dont worry about it.