R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)
Default is this true

my sh .28 c use to idle forever now it wnt idle more than a few secondsthe hobby shop told me the nitro motors are not made to idle more than a few seconds
newuserlosi8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

I was told when tuning the low end of an engine you should have the LSN and the idle screw set so that it can hold a strong idle for at least 20 seconds. Maybe your engine lost its tune just a bit. But it should idle as far as im concerned for more then a few seconds.
www.clarkrcpark.com
We are always looking for more racers at the track!
Bengsch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengsch85 View Post
I was told when tuning the low end of an engine you should have the LSN and the idle screw set so that it can hold a strong idle for at least 20 seconds. Maybe your engine lost its tune just a bit. But it should idle as far as im concerned for more then a few seconds.
i havent messed with lsn only hsn and idle so if i turn my idle up what will i need to do with my lsn and if i touch my lsn will i need to richen or lean my hsn
Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
KIK
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Is the motor fairly new? If so, it could've of richened up from "breaking in". Try leaning the LSN then u may have to turn the idle down some too.
KIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

they should definitley idle for more then a couple seconds. About 30 is average.

on second thought it depends. Because after about 10 or 15 i blip the throtle.

i guess it all depends.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIK View Post
Is the motor fairly new? If so, it could've of richened up from "breaking in". Try leaning the LSN then u may have to turn the idle down some too.
got the motor from a friend had 6 races on it
Old 04-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
they should definitley idle for more then a couple seconds. About 30 is average.

on second thought it depends. Because after about 10 or 15 i blip the throtle.

i guess it all depends.
what should i try leaning the lsn and lowering the idle and is it the same for lsn and hsn clockwise lean counter richen
Old 04-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well if your motor is putting out a lot of smoke with you take off it could your lsn is to fat try to lean it about an hour at a time until if feels good then adjust your idle from there. If the bottom feels fine then just adjust your idle a bit until it stays running.

Team Associated B4.1 reedy 8.5, R10 Pro
Team Associated T4.1 OHP 17.5, Tekin RS
Team Associated B44.1 reedy 6.5, R10 Pro
smittyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserlosi8t View Post
what should i try leaning the lsn and lowering the idle and is it the same for lsn and hsn clockwise lean counter richen
Your LHS is wrong.. They should idle and idle and idle.. Go to the track on an off day and ask someone for some help, or if you know a few of the better racers ask them for a little help.. They can see what your engine is doing and give you a better analysis of what it needs.. If they tune it for you ask them what they did and why..

I've had guys tune for me before, only to be left wondering why did he do that? It rocks, but why? What did he see that I didn't. ETC ETC..

Your idle is too low, too rich on LSN, or too Lean.. It can be any of those.. Do the pinch test.. Get it running and Pinch the fuel line as close to the carb as possible. If it revs up before 3 seconds then it is too lean. IF it takes longer than 5 seconds it is too rich.. Also, if it revs right at 3-4 seconds, then it is about right and you need to raise the Idle speed..
Old 04-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Read it, learn it, and live it..
Tuning Bible
Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrencher View Post
Read it, learn it, and live it..
Tuning Bible
AGREED!.
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty! View Post
Your LHS is wrong.. They should idle and idle and idle.. Go to the track on an off day and ask someone for some help, or if you know a few of the better racers ask them for a little help.. They can see what your engine is doing and give you a better analysis of what it needs.. If they tune it for you ask them what they did and why..

I've had guys tune for me before, only to be left wondering why did he do that? It rocks, but why? What did he see that I didn't. ETC ETC..

Your idle is too low, too rich on LSN, or too Lean.. It can be any of those.. Do the pinch test.. Get it running and Pinch the fuel line as close to the carb as possible. If it revs up before 3 seconds then it is too lean. IF it takes longer than 5 seconds it is too rich.. Also, if it revs right at 3-4 seconds, then it is about right and you need to raise the Idle speed..
very true, should idle for ever mine do, i dile mine at least 3 to 4 minutes at the begining of the day, tell ur hobby to get into a new perfession if he told u this
skidoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty! View Post

i went to the track today and did exactly that it was brain wrenching to pack in so much info from so many people at once took a few hours cause everyone was racing but we got it squared away
THANKS TO ALL UR HELP AGAIN EVERYONE
Old 04-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserlosi8t View Post
i went to the track today and did exactly that it was brain wrenching to pack in so much info from so many people at once took a few hours cause everyone was racing but we got it squared away
THANKS TO ALL UR HELP AGAIN EVERYONE
Awesome gald I could help.. Just try to stick to one set of rules for tuning.. KISS method.. Keep It Simple Stupid.. Look at the obvious stuff if it won't tune in the future..

Enjoy!