R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 04-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tandman

What about the Sweep Racing tires? I just got a few sets in but have not run them yet....they look and feel really good and the inserts look really good also. I am going to run them next week and compare them with some proline and j concepts.
Team Sweepracing-R1 Wurks
tandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

I don't have any experience with them. They're another Chinese brand, so I wouldn't expect much, but at least it appears that they have some unique tread patterns. Molded inserts have been somewhat of a problem in that they usually cause significant balance issues, and they go flat faster than just about any foam insert. But, you've already got them, so give it a shot and see how they hold up and how they run.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
VP Pro is not one that I would recommend. They're one of the Chinese knock-off brands that I mentioned. If you want a cheap tire to bash and have fun, it'll be great and you'll save some money. But, if you're racing, spend your money on AKA or Proline. The Axeman is just a cheap and inferior knock-off of the I-Beam anyway. If that's the type of tire that you're looking for, Get the AKA I-Beam or the Pro-Line Bow Tie. I unfairly left JConcepts out of my original post - they're also a pretty good tire.
I was just thinking that myself. The Axemen look very I-BEAM'ish. I haven't run them though, so I can't knock them. I do agree about going with the original though.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tandman

I won't expect much.....Sweep Racing placed 4th at the pre-worlds in Thailand Thats not much I guess
Team Sweepracing-R1 Wurks
tandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben73 View Post
or the losi equivalent XBT on the front and Eclipse on the rear.

Great all round combo in Green
+1 on the losi XBT/eclipse. I run these ro grid irons if the track is noce and grooved up.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
+1 on the losi XBT/eclipse. I run these ro grid irons if the track is noce and grooved up.
Bout to try these.

I feel like every time i roll out i have the wrong tire. Pisses me off so i just got like 6 sets.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
Bout to try these.

I feel like every time i roll out i have the wrong tire. Pisses me off so i just got like 6 sets.
The losi eclipse tires work on just about every surface.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I really like

The AKA I-Beams in super soft, and soft, but the super soft I beams are great for most outdoor tracks, but on indoor clay tracks the Pro line Revolvers are really great because they don't wear as fast as small pin tires, they're right in the middle. If you want all around tires the I beams and the city blocks are really nice premounted. Get soft and supersoft in both tires and you should be set if you mainly race outdoor on dirt that is dirt, clay tracks with some dirt is fine, but really hard tracks that are blue grooved just need pro line revolvers....3 tires all or most tracks.....
Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
The AKA I-Beams in super soft, and soft, but the super soft I beams are great for most outdoor tracks, but on indoor clay tracks the Pro line Revolvers are really great because they don't wear as fast as small pin tires, they're right in the middle. If you want all around tires the I beams and the city blocks are really nice premounted. Get soft and supersoft in both tires and you should be set if you mainly race outdoor on dirt that is dirt, clay tracks with some dirt is fine, but really hard tracks that are blue grooved just need pro line revolvers....3 tires all or most tracks.....
It's almost summer time. No need for super softs. Med's during qualifier's during the heat of the day 85+. Then run softs if the mains are during the night. Super softs are more of a winter tire for really cold days. Most people were running Mediums @ Vertigo during the qualifiers yesterday.
jk1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #25
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandman View Post
I won't expect much.....Sweep Racing placed 4th at the pre-worlds in Thailand Thats not much I guess

Im gonna have to agree here.....ANY Tire can win with the right guy behind the wheel.....Knock off or not.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

I'll have to disagree - same weak argument in support of inferior products. With the SAME guy behind the wheel, a superior tire is the difference between winning and losing.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I'll have to disagree - same weak argument in support of inferior products. With the SAME guy behind the wheel, a superior tire is the difference between winning and losing.
Again I gotta agree. I'm not knocking sweep because I haven't run them. But the quality of tires being used can certainly be a deciding factor at that level of racing. When it's a battle of tenths of seconds, a superior tire design can be the difference. I feel this is part of the problems the big name losi drivers have been having since the "we're only going to run losi tires" BS. Not to knock losi tires because they do have some good ones, but they don't have the selection or quality of tires that proline has.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice

+1 for Bow-fighters, always my go to set. At my track I normally start there then switch to Crimefighters all around. When the racing line gets cleaned off towards the 3rd qual or the main I switch to Revolvers.
cjwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to looper

Tried an unlikely combination last night when racing indoors. and was very suprised on how well it worked

bowfighters, Cf on front xtr compound and bt on rear m2 compound. normally i run bowfighers m3 all around there but that combo was way too grippy, the xtr/m2 combo was very good.

When i needed traction it was there and when i needed to sliiiiiide it in to make the pass it was there too. my laptimes improved 3 seconds from this combo

just something else to consider.

jammin x1 buggy
Old 04-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1152 View Post
It's almost summer time. No need for super softs. Med's during qualifier's during the heat of the day 85+. Then run softs if the mains are during the night. Super softs are more of a winter tire for really cold days. Most people were running Mediums @ Vertigo during the qualifiers yesterday.
I was running supersoft I beams and got 4th in Expert buggy so I guess It worked ok. I was thinking of running soft for the summer, but medium compound is ok for too narrow of window throughout the day. If the track is dry the mediums suck....