Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ylihwUqG4

clockworks jl
Old 04-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Personally I would look at the werks b5 engine or the alpha line of engines. Both of these engines pull hard at the tracks I race at. I even have a buddy that runs the b5 in his truggy without difficulty. Both of these are around 200 which leaves you $$$ for a decent pipe or extra plugs.
+1 Both are good choices. I run the Alpha but almost bought the B5, it was a touch choice... either will do what you want with change left over.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
+1 Both are good choices. I run the Alpha but almost bought the B5, it was a touch choice... either will do what you want with change left over.
Stock motors YAWN !!!!!! LOL..... too slow for me !
Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

You guys are sooooooooooooooo funny.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

+1 as well. I was looking at the B5 when I found the Alpha Plus engines. Can't really go wrong with either one of them. I went with the Alpha mainly because I thought it looked cooler, and I'm VERY happy that I did. My Orange head abbsolutely RIPS in my Truggy.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by Maximo
Stock motors YAWN !!!!!! LOL..... too slow for me !
Neal I'm scared of your motors! I've seen the videos... I'd never know how to keep that under control.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I can't say first hand, but I'm seeing some local fast guys switching over to the Alpha motors and they are all of the sudden struggling for them. I'm overhearing complaints about tuning.

I've tried a few engines and finally plopped the money on a Novarossi. It will be a long time before I run anything else. The quality, performance, and ease of tune is blowing away everything else I've touched.
FOr your budget, the P5XLT would be perfect, or the HES tunes N21BF for about $200. I've heard this motor is a real eye opener after Monty works his magic on it. I'm personally running the +4C and it's amazing. It's now obvious why I see so many of them at the track.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Neal I'm scared of your motors! I've seen the videos... I'd never know how to keep that under control.
You would be shocked by how well they work on the track I think .. my videos are a display of WOT only, so it makes them look undriveable ....However on the track they are very capable of providing usable effortless power, my engines did have 4 podium finishes this weekend too ! even the crazy looking jammins took 2 TQ's and a 1st and 2nd...Even if an engine is very powerful it can be very tractable if it has a broad predictable powerband.... As another bonus my engines can be run fairly rich and still make killer power, so we are seeing excelent wear characteristics.... Some engines need to be tuned to perfection to make enough power, which means a leaner mixture and less overall lubrication and more internal wear...Now my engines can be leaned out too, but it is not needed to make big power...
Old 04-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pickle311
I can't say first hand, but I'm seeing some local fast guys switching over to the Alpha motors and they are all of the sudden struggling for them. I'm overhearing complaints about tuning.

I've tried a few engines and finally plopped the money on a Novarossi. It will be a long time before I run anything else. The quality, performance, and ease of tune is blowing away everything else I've touched.
FOr your budget, the P5XLT would be perfect, or the HES tunes N21BF for about $200. I've heard this motor is a real eye opener after Monty works his magic on it. I'm personally running the +4C and it's amazing. It's now obvious why I see so many of them at the track.
I've been having the exact opposite experience with my alpha S852. Out of the box it fired up easily. Reacted VERY well to tuning changes during break in and was a bore to break in really. I heat cycled it on my bench while I read a few magazines. After tank 4, I richened up the bottom end....and drove. It ran like crap with a bench tune, so I went back to factory settings and re-tuned in all of 5 minutes at the track. Tossed it out there and started burning laps. It's run like a charm ever since.

Now when I was at PNB this year it did finally "break in" smack dab in the middle of my second qualifier and started sputtering and blubbering all over the place, but it never flamed out. We leaned it out @ 2 hours after that race and it's been running absolutely perfect.

We have another local who had Jimmy break in his red head, and he had only run one more tank or so through it...but he was having issues at the first race with it. He got them sorted out though, and cut his fuel line during the main....so we'll see how his experience goes now. He said he did some test n tune on it and they got it running great without much effort though.

Best $200 I have spent in well over a year now let me tell you....I'll be buying probably a Green Head as well just so I can swap back and forth based on track I'm running....plus I really just want to try one.

Like anything else, there will be lovers and haters of it.....so we'll see how things pan out by the end of the season. Thus far *I* have been VERY impressed with the Alpha, but I'm really not too hard on my engines I suppose.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Werks B5 nuff said!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

I really like my Alpha engines. I am not the best tuner and it has been a breeze to tune. Now my Nova - I wont touch, I let the pros tune that. Pound for pound, best engine for the money IMO. I have ran the cheap nova, its sitting on my shelf at the moment and for the bag tracks I run on, its not enough in my truggy. I also have a B5 and that is on my shelf as well. The alpha is good but my question is I need to see how long they last...... I am hard on my engines, they are tuned to peak performance. I do not hold back, and so far out side of RB and OS the alphas have just took it with a smile.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

I also have to say my Alpha has been VERY easy to tune and absolutely ZERO issues.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Novarossi

The only engine for racing....
Old 04-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
That's what I bought. P5xlt with 9853 pipe.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by merdith6
I'll remember that next time I pass a Nova on the track with my $200 mill ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.