R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default clutch + molly = no action

Newbie mistake; I put a new needle bearing my clutch, but first I packed the bearing with molly grease. Started it up, hit the gas and the motor went ZING and the car sat still, and instantly I knew the problem. Obviously I put too much grease because it flung off the bearings and coated the inside of the clutch bell. I hit it with some brake cleaner and it looks clean, I'll try it out tomorrow.

So my question is; when you guys put new bearings in the clutch, do you put them in dry?
MattFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

No need to add any grease to them. Some people even go as far as to bowing the grease the bearings come with out with an air compressor
cleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFL View Post
Newbie mistake; I put a new needle bearing my clutch, but first I packed the bearing with molly grease. Started it up, hit the gas and the motor went ZING and the car sat still, and instantly I knew the problem. Obviously I put too much grease because it flung off the bearings and coated the inside of the clutch bell. I hit it with some brake cleaner and it looks clean, I'll try it out tomorrow.

So my question is; when you guys put new bearings in the clutch, do you put them in dry?
It doesn't make any sense... even if it has too much lubrication the car should move the grease would only help the bearing run smoother. As it is these small bearings are pretty smooth so the excess grease shouldn't make any difference, so why did the car not move at all?? make sure that the flywheel is not loose. You shouldn't be able to move or spin the flywheel without spinning the crank.
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i have no explanation why the molly wouldn't let the buggy move, but i will say leave the molly alone. as a shooter, who has had at least one barrel ruined by molly, my opinion is to just run the bearings as is. that stuff is corrosive as all get out.
C.Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

dry
Old 04-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Tech Adept

The car didn't move because the grease flung onto the clutch bell (inside) and the shoes were slipping on the grease like they were on ice. I cleaned it up with brake cleaner and it is back to normal. No wonder the bearings wear out so fast if you have to run them so dry!
MattFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Next time you replace the bearing, instead of getting a new needle bearing, replace it with a few ball bearings. If you have a car that came with a needle bearing, then it can be replaced by 5x8mm ball bearings - usually four of them. They have their own internal lubrication and it's not likely to find its way on to the inner surface of the clutch bell and cause the slipping you experienced. The ball bearings last MUCH longer as well.

FYI, you can lubricate the needle bearing assembly with A (one) drop of bearing oil. It will distribute pretty well once you spin the clutch bell, and any trace amounts that may find the inner surface of the clutch bell won't cause any trouble.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

My little trick to never letting the grease get on the shoes has worked great for the past few seasons. The first race day I use one its on the outside. The next race day I run it on the inside. So basically 1 new bearing every time I run (unless its back to back club races that I don't run them that much I just leave em in at that point) I change them out that often because I run carbon shoes (higher heat), but if I was running aluminum I might stretch them a little further due to less heat.
awdcameolsx is offline   Reply With Quote