R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JarheadRCGuy Send a message via Yahoo to JarheadRCGuy
Default The woes of owning an Xray....

As many of my fellow XRay owners know, with greatness comes a price. We get a superbly manufactured kit (I mean each manufacturers kit is good in it's own regard, it's all personal preference) but the down side to it is that we have to retrofit bodies to fit our chassis' because the big manufacturers only mass produce bodies for the "Me Too Chassis'". I know that the MBX5 bodies will fit the XB8 line, but has anyone tried the MBX6 on this lineup? I like the look of the MBX6 bodies, but don't want to drop the cash on a body that won't fit. I'd like to find out what bodies you guys run on your XB8's (of those of you that run on a limited budget like myself, but won't sacrifice quality due to it) Thanks!

P.S. - My crystal ball sees that DOMIT will be a responder to this matter!

What? You're upset that the track is blown out? Guess what? It's called OFFROAD FOR A REASON!
JarheadRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I run nothing but the J concepts Illusion Scoopless lid for the XRAY 808. Its inexpensive ( even more so now ) It lasts a good while. The Lexan is not too thick, or thin. I can cut it out in my sleep I've done so many, It looks awesome and there is plenty of room for me to run any filter I want, and Nothing rubs, or hits anywhere on the inside
Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default Do you have a TQ or 808?

Judging by your signature, I presume you have the TQ. If so, there is no way the mbx-6 body will fit. The mbx-6 body is completely different than the mbx-5. It is MUCH narrower. If you have an 808, it maybe possible. I can tell you this, the stock mbx-6 body is very thin and doesn't wear well if you know what I mean. I have greatest longevity out of the J-concepts lids.

Thanks,
rfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

I'll take body issues over slop issues any day of the week ;-) The better you drive...the less you need to replace bodies anyway!
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarheadRCGuy View Post
As many of my fellow XRay owners know, with greatness comes a price. We get a superbly manufactured kit (I mean each manufacturers kit is good in it's own regard, it's all personal preference) but the down side to it is that we have to retrofit bodies to fit our chassis' because the big manufacturers only mass produce bodies for the "Me Too Chassis'". I know that the MBX5 bodies will fit the XB8 line, but has anyone tried the MBX6 on this lineup? I like the look of the MBX6 bodies, but don't want to drop the cash on a body that won't fit. I'd like to find out what bodies you guys run on your XB8's (of those of you that run on a limited budget like myself, but won't sacrifice quality due to it) Thanks!

Xrays quality and attention to detail is second to none but I got tired of them coming out with a new car every year and killing the resell. Just rambling, I do like Xray proucts though. LOL
sdmlsu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah, the resale issue does suck, I just found it easier to keep my old 808 and convert it to electric, while my 10 spec is my new nitro buggy.

as far as the 808 body goes, nothing beats the original. Bitty design has one that looks pretty promising, prolines is ok. and J-concepts just missed the mark by creating a body I wouldn't ever run. I'm a body painter, so I pay attention to what make a buggy look good. But if you have the old XB8 TQ, just go with the proline mugen mbx5 body. worked on mine just fine.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarheadRCGuy View Post

You are right... but unfortunately I've never ran the buggy. I suspect a Jammin body would fit, but not positive... should be close. Any more "Traditional" buggy will probably be close. (Meaning wider!) i.e. Associated, O'Donnell, possibly Hot Bodies.

However, specifically these should work...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...exan-Body-0040

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Illuzion-Body

Several other possibilities... but if it is made for ANY of the MBX5 versions (well, not truggy) it should fit ok.

Also try here:

http://jnowell.rchomepage.com/majestic/products.htm
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote