R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #16
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,989
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Fortunately that is Incorrect...chassis flex is part of the game and there's no 2 ways about it.
Having some setup lessons from a real racecar engineer I know in real racing they want to have a maximum stiff chassis so they have all the control on the suspension. Flex is a non-control setup item.
That we like to run with flex is only that our dampers are to much primitive
__________________
Speed is only fiction but a 130+km/h MRS4 is for real.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #17
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Having some setup lessons from a real racecar engineer I know in real racing they want to have a maximum stiff chassis so they have all the control on the suspension. Flex is a non-control setup item.
That we like to run with flex is only that our dampers are to much primitive


Ill agree but this isn't 1:1 Full size racing were talking about....so really its a moot point.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #18
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

you need everything you can get to tune your car at this scale. Jumping with 1/8th scale the way we do is equivilent to a real car jumping about 200 feet high
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #19
Tech Master
 
captain america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,425
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Ill agree but this isn't 1:1 Full size racing were talking about....so really its a moot point.
Right. And since we have to work within the limitations of our R/C cars/shocks, etc, flexing chassis offer a better overall result. Of course, a flexible chassis does have its downsides, like flex leading to excess stress on clutch bearings and chipped spur teeth, but that could also just be my driving
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #20
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Ill agree but this isn't 1:1 Full size racing were talking about....so really its a moot point.
Point is not Moot!! ...Roelof is corect in his statment,
about the very crude damping that is being used
with the rc cars. suspension is the back bone of
all vehical dynamics. Well said Roelof I agree It would
be neat to see some high tec (and Light) Shock systems
for our Cars/Trucks.
Something Like 1/8 scale version of the Fox Offroad Pro systems.
foxracing..com
RCRICHCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
Tech Regular
 
Slider30250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRICHCA View Post
Point is not Moot!! ...Roelof is corect in his statment,
about the very crude damping that is being used
with the rc cars. suspension is the back bone of
all vehical dynamics. Well said Roelof I agree It would
be neat to see some high tec (and Light) Shock systems
for our Cars/Trucks.
Something Like 1/8 scale version of the Fox Offroad Pro systems.
foxracing..com
I'm with Integra one this one, it is a moot point. Although 8th scale shocks may seem crude there isn't a need for anything better because the shocks have been working just fine for all the top dog's in 8th scale racing, if they can win with them, as "crude" as they are, then I should be able to win with them.
__________________
Anyone can crash, I crash with style

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #22
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRICHCA View Post
Point is not Moot!!
it is when comparing 1:1 Vs 1:8 RC's.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #23
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,989
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider30250 View Post
Although 8th scale shocks may seem crude there isn't a need for anything better because the shocks have been working just fine for all the top dog's in 8th scale racing, if they can win with them, as "crude" as they are, then I should be able to win with them.
But what if an avarage racer comes up with good working shocks and wipe away all top dog's?
I know the 1/5 scale cars do have more advanced shocks so a step to 1/8 scale shocks is not that huge.
__________________
Speed is only fiction but a 130+km/h MRS4 is for real.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #24
Tech Regular
 
Slider30250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
But what if an avarage racer comes up with good working shocks and wipe away all top dog's?
I know the 1/5 scale cars do have more advanced shocks so a step to 1/8 scale shocks is not that huge.
No shock is ever going to make up for average driving, if an average driver with a set of super duper advanced shocks went to a national level event they would still only make the D or E main if they were lucky. Remember, the shocks don't keep you in the groove, you do.
__________________
Anyone can crash, I crash with style

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #25
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider30250 View Post
No shock is ever going to make up for average driving, if an average driver with a set of super duper advanced shocks went to a national level event they would still only make the D or E main if they were lucky. Remember, the shocks don't keep you in the groove, you do.
So that's my problem. I'm just an average driver. That's where I was at the nitro challenge d main.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #26
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,989
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider30250 View Post
Remember, the shocks don't keep you in the groove, you do.
Not compleetly true.....
Yes, finally the driver/mechanic is responsable for the setup but there is also the "sweet point" in the setup to find and some drivers just can not find it for their feeling.
Making the car much easier to drive with other (home made?) parts will give automaticly better laptimes and there could be a possibillity that this person can outperform the better drivers.

It is easy to say nothing can be improved to a car and homemade stuff will not work better than original parts (I hear it all the time) but arround the world there are enough inventive RC drivers to find trying to get more out of it. So, if someone can create shocks as the real thing it is not predictable what the improvement will be.
__________________
Speed is only fiction but a 130+km/h MRS4 is for real.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #27
Tech Regular
 
Slider30250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Not compleetly true.....
Yes, finally the driver/mechanic is responsable for the setup but there is also the "sweet point" in the setup to find and some drivers just can not find it for their feeling.
Making the car much easier to drive with other (home made?) parts will give automaticly better laptimes and there could be a possibillity that this person can outperform the better drivers.

It is easy to say nothing can be improved to a car and homemade stuff will not work better than original parts (I hear it all the time) but arround the world there are enough inventive RC drivers to find trying to get more out of it. So, if someone can create shocks as the real thing it is not predictable what the improvement will be.
I would imagine that a really advanced set of shocks might, and I stress might, improve your lap times. The point I was trying to make is that driver skill is the most important thing to have. Learn how to drive your 8th scale to 10/10ths of what is possible and you will be a better driver than if you rely on high tech equipment to get the job done. Any part can fail, even a really cool set of shocks but you can always fall back on driver ability to win the race for you.
__________________
Anyone can crash, I crash with style

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #28
Tech Adept
 
ConciliumDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northwest WA
Posts: 130
Default Carbon Fiber Chassis

I believe cost is the major driver in 1/8 scale chassis design. FRP composite materials are much more expensive and have lower cycle times. The bean counters hate low cycle times and the additional labor costs that go with it.

Flex is and important tuning feature in off road design. On road racing is a different animal. I know that flex is engineered into motocross chassis design. When Honda first came out with their aluminum box chassis designs, the riders hated it because they were too stiff. It made the bikes too harsh to ride and too twitchy in the turns.
__________________
RC8, RC8T, SC8, Go Power, DX3R, custom fabrication and design
ConciliumDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #29
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Ding ding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamminguy18 View Post
Doesnt on the amluminum stock chassis help with disperseing the heat off the chassis carbon fiber will not get the heat out. Just wondering?
You are absolutely correct. The main reason to use alluminum is for heat dissapation, and it's cost effective and bounces back for more...and the holes where the screws go provide a solid base....
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #30
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
You are absolutely correct. The main reason to use alluminum is for heat dissapation, and it's cost effective and bounces back for more...and the holes where the screws go provide a solid base....

There are many reason's for the Big Mfg's to use aluminum for their chassis and heat dissipation is Not one of them....cost yes....reliability no.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Integy SC10 Carbon Fiber Chassis SirKarnage Electric Off-Road 43 08-11-2014 09:58 AM
Losi 8ight Carbon Fiber Chassis Matrix Concepts Nitro Off-Road 201 01-18-2012 07:01 PM
Tamiya TA05 IFS With Carbon fiber chassis DHood R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 12 04-05-2009 12:02 AM
Tools to cut carbon fiber chassis or radio deck Solara Electric On-Road 13 09-26-2008 10:02 AM
RC18MT with GPM carbon fiber chassis w/ 6800 mamba system and EXTRAS volks88 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 30 11-15-2006 06:09 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:37 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net